HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Rumors

Old
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Templeton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Maybe, but I don't understand the ooo-la-la-ness surrounding Campbell. He's a pretty good puck rushing defenceman. But he's not physical at all, and I don't see him as an extraordinary offensive threat.
It is just a parenthesis to remind you this.
At least he was physical on that play

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:42 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Maybe, but I don't understand the ooo-la-la-ness surrounding Campbell. He's a pretty good puck rushing defenceman. But he's not physical at all, and I don't see him as an extraordinary offensive threat. I think he's a guy who needs a particular system and teammates to flourish. And if he's asking for 8 million, then my goodness that's ridiculous. Let him go to Atlanta.

As for Redden, he could be on the downside of his career. But the guy is still pretty young as far as NHL defencemen go. Even 38 year old Augroin showed that he had something left. He might just need a change. There was bad mojo on that Ottawa team. Also, and I don't want to exaggerate this, but having a goalie like Price who can play the puck can really help defencemen who would otherwise get run all season long. From what I recall, Gerber is a pretty lousy puckhandling goalie, which makes a guy like Redden an easy and oft-abused target.

The problem with signing big name defencemen is that you have to pay so much even for a guy who has warts somewhere on his game. I use the Hamrlik example again: he was too old, too slow, too this, too that. By the end of the season, he established himself as one of the best top 3 defencemen the Habs have had in a long time. Yet he's still all of those things. But that overall stability was, I think, well worth the 5.5 million, at least in year 1 of 4.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not crazy about Redden. I'm not crazy about Campbell either, especially not for premium UFA money. The rest have their own warts. I just think that Redden is a credible option, and one that I prefer instead of re-signing Streit.
I would prefer to sign Streit and Redden for what Campbell may be getting.
Streit is an ok winger and would offer a bit of spice to a checking line.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I wouldn't be sad if they offer him Mark Streit's spot and 3.5million.... a little more than what Streit should be offered.... but I wouldn't give Redden the 5mill+ he will likely get.
Streit at 3.5 , 4 M $ or Redden at 4 , 4.5M $

I choose Redden

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:58 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Streit at 3.5 , 4 M $ or Redden at 4 , 4.5M $

I choose Redden
Streit will never get that...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
I choose Redden
Me too, as 8th defenseman.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:31 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Me too, as 8th defenseman.
Because Redden sucks?

Easily a top 2-3 Dman still, bad season last year that's all...would love to have Redden but we don't need him the development of Gorges and O'Byrne to play with Markov, Komisarek, Hammer and Cube...please no Brisebois though, sign a younger depth Dman or hopefully get Emelin over or see if Carle, Valentanko can be called up for some stints.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Templeton View Post
It is just a parenthesis to remind you this.
At least he was physical on that play
Ouch! I'd never seen that. How does that old saying go again? Oh yeah, "keep your head up".

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:30 PM
LastRide

Sorry if already posted.

http://rumormethis.com/rumors/player...er-to-be-delt/

There are rumours floating around Montreal that Vincent Lecavalier might be moving soon, real soon, draft day soon. One guess as to where that would be.

Some are saying that if a deal was to happen between the Habs and the Lightning, it would include Chris Higgins and possibly Jaroslav Halak, to go along with a pick.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Zorf

I have a question about the Hossa rumours to Montreal.

My thought on the matter is this: Montreal already has one of the best balanced attacks in the league. The offensive line-up for the Habs looks more like 1a, 1b, 3a, 3b, rather than the general 1, 2, 3, 4 line-up that most other teams have.

My question is, would you, as Habs fans, want a player like Hossa throwing off the balance of the offensive attack when the money that would go to a UFA like Hossa ($7-8 million), could be spent on improving the blueline with a big signing there, or, adding another solid d-man, and adding another good offensive player for the 3a line (splitting the money)?
I'm only asking because the Habs seem set offensively (they did score the most goals last season) with the Kos brothers, Higgins, Koivu, Kovalev...and so on.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Bullsmith

Hossa's a gamebreaker, young by UFA standards and the Habs can afford him. Plus now he's got good playoff experience. 1a 1a better than 1a 1b

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:02 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Sorry if already posted.

There are rumours floating around Montreal that Vincent Lecavalier might be moving soon, real soon, draft day soon. One guess as to where that would be.

Some are saying that if a deal was to happen between the Habs and the Lightning, it would include Chris Higgins and possibly Jaroslav Halak, to go along with a pick.
Below the article found something that makes me not get my hopes up...

Quote:
Author Bio
Bryen Owen

An avid hockey fan. Favorite team is the Montreal Canadiens.
I grew up in Montreal following the Habs all my life.
My thought is that hockey is the greatest sport.
I eat and sleep hockey.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Sorry if already posted.

Id do that in a heartbeat..it would break Ana's heart though...so no dice

Last edited by GoneAway: 06-13-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old
06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

i'd rather give plekanec over higgins

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:27 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgins2121 View Post
i'd rather give plekanec over higgins
It's alot easier to replace a winger then a center.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Id do that in a heartbeat..it would break Higgin's heart though...so no dice
My heart.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
My heart.
fixed

Old
06-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
First of all, rumormethis makes **** up. Plain and simple. They didn't even have the timeline of the Campbell/Hossa trades at the deadline right. That tells me the guy just writes BS. It's not like with Eklund, where people have actually confirmed he has sources.

Now, Higgins/Halak/Pick for one of the best centers in the NHL? I'm sorry. That would be a ******* kidnapping. Lecavalier does not a have an NTC so he has no decision on where he is sent. Tampa would simply shop him out and Vinnie would have to sign with us at the end of his contract.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
centrehice

Quote:
Sorry if already posted.

ya, that rumourmethis site has 0 credibility. I mean just look at what he says:

"There are also rumours that Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey is up to something. What it is however remains a mystery."

WOW thanks for the heads up!

"Some are saying that if a deal was to happen between the Habs and the Lightning, it would include Chris Higgins and possibly Jaroslav Halak, to go along with a pick.

But these rumours are un-confirmed at this point.

If Tampa doesn’t think that they can sign him, then why not trade him to a team which would give them so much in return? These rumours are un-confirmed, but not ridiculous at this point."

Well as long as they're not ridiculous, I guess there's a good chance of them coming true.

"Next we have un-confirmed reports that the Habs asked about acquiring Brian Campbell when the Marian Hossa deal fell through, and that there is a possibility that they are wondering if he will be available come July 1."

A possibility that they are wondering?

"Next we have un-confirmed reports that Saku Koivu could be trying to convince Teemu Selanne to play with the Habs, this being Koivu’s last contract year. Koivu would like his best friend to play at least one year with him before Selanne retires for good.

Another un-confirmed report states that the Canadiens could be interested in soon to be RFA Wade Redden of the Ottawa Senators. "

He loves his unconfirmed reports. I should send him a couple.

"Next there is the fact that Pavol Demitra could be interested in the Vancouver Canucks and the Canadiens."

It's a fact that he COULD be interested eh? Sounds factual.

"something I mentioned in another article is that Olaf Kolzig could be in Montreal next season."

Well if he's mentioned it in another article is must be true.

Put it down as an E10 or a BS11

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Sorry if already posted.

OMG Guys!..Higgins is the new Ryder

Ryder+Halak+Pick(07-08 season)
Higgins+Halak+Pick(08-09 season)

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
couz

So that deal would be for a Lecavalier signed just for this year.

Regardless, I'd venture a guess that it would take much more to get Lecavalier than Higgins, Halak and a pick.

I imagine there are several teams that would come up with better offers, but that's not to say Gainey can't make a good offer, I'm just saying it'll take more.

Higgins and Price would probably be their asking, but Gainey wouldn't deal Price I suspect.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
i have ALWAYS wanted Evgeni Artyukhin . Ever since i watched him in quebec major junior. hope Bob can deal for him but he jist signed a 2 yr back in Tbay
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...hin-agree.html
Artukhin has a lot of natural ability and is a monster on skates, but he has no hockey sense, never uses teammates and is very selfish.

I'd take Redden in a heratbeat if it was at a discout rate on 4-4.5 mil but not at 6-6.5 that he will end up costing. I think he needs out of Ottawa and he'll go back to being a very good d-man.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
You guys can't possibly think Lecavalier could be traded here. Tampa has a sale pending to that Holywood Guru Oren Koules. There is no way he acquires that team without making it a priority to lock up Vinny long term during the season. And what I hear around the grape vine is that Vinny loves it in FLA.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
You guys can't possibly think Lecavalier could be traded here. Tampa has a sale pending to that Holywood Guru Oren Koules. There is no way he acquires that team without making it a priority to lock up Vinny long term during the season. And what I hear around the grape vine is that Vinny loves it in FLA.
Vinny loves living in the sunny south but like Brad Richards he would definetly love to jump a couple states for less taxes.................so..................dont expect him in Canada anytime soon.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:49 PM
kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Vinny loves living in the sunny south but like Brad Richards he would definetly love to jump a couple states for less taxes.................so..................dont expect him in Canada anytime soon.
If it's money he wants, think about how much could make in endorsements playing in Montreal.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Source??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote