HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rumor: Shanny back in Blue...as a coach?

Old
06-09-2008, 11:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
If Pearn goes to Florida, I could see Shanahan on the bench. In a suit. I could also see him play like 40 more games as a player/coach, filling in for injuries and scratches. (Who was the last player to do that?) If he isn't playing as much, he could be much fresher and not getting fresh legs from him was our biggest problem. Kind of like when Straka plays injured. They mean well but overall it hurts the team and doesn't help to improve their condition. Shanny still has a good shot. He just doesn't get open as much because his feet aren't moving!
Are player coachs still allowed?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Shannys leadership is a factor. Certainly in the potential situations like riding out a losing streak mid season and perhaps more crucial settling the team in an intense game 7 situation in the playoffs...but the team has to get there first.

Interesting Osgood thanked Shanny for his leadership on the Wings in his post game 6 interview.

It cant be overlooked but ultimately the Wings let him leave for a reason. And he scored FORTY goals that year!

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:17 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
No clue. The question would be, was there ever a rule made to disallow them? Like the mandatory helmet rule?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
You know, my first reaction was like "of course" they are; like there are basically no rules on who can "coach" a team -- whats a coach anyway? There is a maximum on how many plain cloath you can have on the bench, like 5 in Int hockey, and probably a couple more in the NHL.

But the cap makes it a bit troublesome. The coaches don't go up against the cap. Could you sign a guy as a player and pay him like 1m, and then also pay him 5m per as a coach? I would bet that they have thought of that and made sure it can't happend.

But in principle I think you defenitly can have a player coach, but all of his salary have to go up against the cap, probably.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

It was brought up somewhere else, but, a big factor in Shanny's return as either player or coach, is his influence on Avery. My guess is that if the Rangers do bring Shanny back, the Avery signing is a mere formality.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote