HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olivier Latendresse thinks he can make the team next year

Old
06-10-2008, 08:20 AM
BadKiwi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Hometown: LeSalle, Quebec

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I've never watched the ECHL, but David Desharnais finished with 106 pts in 68 games as a 20 year old straight out of the Q. Is that good?

He lead the league by 15 points (2nd place guy is 27yrs old). How good is the ECHL and does he have a shot at playing with the habs one day? I know he's a small bugger, but what are his ups/downs?
Desharnais had one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the ECHL, one point away from the all time high for rookie scoring. That said we will have to see how he handles the jump from the ECHL to the AHL. Last year when he played a couple games for Hamilton he did have some trouble so we'll see how he makes the adjustment next season as I got to think he'll get a long hard look in Hamilton to show what he can do. The good thing for him is that, he's solid in his own end, which Lever seems to want and we know Carbo wants that.

He's got to get stronger imo.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:45 AM
David_99

Dan, have you heard any details on this loan we have with Phoenix? Was it for 1 or 2 seasons? Indefinite? Thanks.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
That's what I thought. How long is this "loan" for? Let's say he somehow made the team out of camp and was doing decent on the Habs. Could the Coyotees just come in and say "Loan's up. Thanks for fine tuning our prospect. Here, you can have Urquart back. *snicker* "
I believe the deal was that the trade would be made official this summer. I don't know if he's even under contract with the Yotes for next year. I'm guessing the trade will be made official at some point this summer and then we will likely sign him.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:47 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I believe the deal was that the trade would be made official this summer. I don't know if he's even under contract with the Yotes for next year. I'm guessing the trade will be made official at some point this summer and then we will likely sign him.
Thank you sir

Old
06-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

If you aren't going into training camp thinking you can make some noise, why even bother showing up?

Good on him for believing in himself

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:49 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I've never watched the ECHL, but David Desharnais finished with 106 pts in 68 games as a 20 year old straight out of the Q. Is that good?

He lead the league by 15 points (2nd place guy is 27yrs old). How good is the ECHL and does he have a shot at playing with the habs one day? I know he's a small bugger, but what are his ups/downs?
If you use the search, there's a decent sized thread on Desharnais when he was on a 35 or something game point streak. It has some articles throughout I believe.

As for Latendresse. Why not? Like he said, he's got just as much chance to surprise as anyone looking for a roster spot.

However, he will likely start in the AHL. And our AHL team is going to be disgusting good next year.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Nah, I don't really get many magazines other than a years subscription to Modern Drummer.

I hate waiting the mandatory 4-6 years between albums. I need more Tool.
they're heading back to the studio in fall apparently

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

The Dogs maybe but there is no way in hell he makes the big club unless something drastic has happened to him.

I like his positiveness but unfortunately i think that Lats Sr will be a ECHL/AHL player for most of his career.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Lucius

I'd rather every prospect come to camp with the belief they can make the team. If they come in with the thought that it's impossible, they're not likely to be motivated to do the things necessary.

Lats wasn't supposed to be anywhere near the team in his first camp and he turned heads.

Good luck to his brother doing the same.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:48 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
they're heading back to the studio in fall apparently
No ****ing way, don't tease me like this.

Link? Article? Gimme, gimme, gimme.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Lateralus.. the single greatest album on earth.
o.O

But on topic-

There actually is a slight chance he makes the team, but it's unrealistic at best I think.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
And our AHL team is going to be disgusting good next year.
How do you figure that? We don't have a starting goalie and our defense is looking like Valentenko, Carle, Weber and Conrad Martin so far.

Old
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
David_99

Quote:
How do you figure that? We don't have a starting goalie and our defense is looking like Valentenko, Carle, Weber and Conrad Martin so far.
I assume he either meant our AHL forwards will be "disgusting good" or he believes Subban is also graduating.

Old
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Kaizen

Interesting. Urquart also won a championship in Prescott.

Good trade/loan for both sides.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
No ****ing way, don't tease me like this.

Link? Article? Gimme, gimme, gimme.
yeah, Maynard confirmed this at the end of the 10,000 days tour ... I'll get you a link

Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan has told MTV.com that the band will soon be reconvening to start kicking around song ideas for the group's fifth studio album.

"We're going to start writing the new Tool record right away," he said.

Keenan didn't say when he expected the band to start tracking the effort, when it might be ready for release or what it might sound like. But with Tool's touring schedule wide open for the foreseeable future, he said it's time for the band to buckle down. He also elaborated on Tool's creative process.

"The music always comes first," Keenan said. "We all get in a room, shut out all the extra noises from the other people and what goes on outside the room and just focus on the four of us, where we are that day. And then we just start making sounds."

Tool has been nominated for several Grammy Awards over the years, and they've even won three: "Best Metal Performance" in 1997 and 2001; and "Best Recording Package" in 2006 for their most recent LP, "10,000 Days". This year, Tool was up for "Best Hard Rock Performance" again, for the "10,000 Days" track "The Pot", but they lost the award to the Foo Fighters.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

So basically Olivier never bragged and the thread starter has just been exposed as a Troll?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This is not even worth talking about until he puts up consistant points at the AHL level. Him, Beauregard and Desharnais should get a long look in Hamilton next year.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post

Urquhart broke the record for playoff scoring from what I recall reading.

Old
06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I agree that it can't hurt to give Olivier a chance in training camp, but his likely destination is as a starter for Hamilton. Once he's there, he should have a very good chance on one of the two top lines. If he manages some solid offensive numbers, and his defensive game is good enough, he may even get a cup of coffee in Montreal. Having said that, the odds are stacked against Olivier in terms of the team's current depth chart, and the overachievements made by some of Montreal's younger pros this past season.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout View Post
I agree that it can't hurt to give Olivier a chance in training camp, but his likely destination is as a starter for Hamilton. Once he's there, he should have a very good chance on one of the two top lines. If he manages some solid offensive numbers, and his defensive game is good enough, he may even get a cup of coffee in Montreal. Having said that, the odds are stacked against Olivier in terms of the team's current depth chart, and the overachievements made by some of Montreal's younger pros this past season.
I hope he's not on the top 2 lines in hamilton, since we have Maxwell, White, Wyman, Trotter, and maybe D'Agostini plus who knows what Locker will do. Then add the ECHL guys like Desharnais, Aubin, Beauregard and Lats plus any vets that might be brought in and who knows if the team will re-sign Milroy or not. I would be surprised if Gainey field a team full of mostly rookies and 2nd year players.

Old
06-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Artyukhin*

im goona repeat it. Dont count this guy out .ID EXPECT he's coming to camp with Montreal and is going to leave everything on the ice.He got squeezed in Phx by old vets. We are in a youth movement.

Im cheering for ya OL. Best of luck

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...b-d82f2d715b47
Olivier, 21, actually came within a sniff of the NHL when he was one of the final cuts at the Coyotes' training camp in 2005, the same year Phoenix signed aging veterans Jeremy Roenick, Owen Nolan and Mike Ricci to free-agent contracts. Those veterans took up potential spots on the Coyotes' roster.

Coyotes assistant coach Barry Smith even told Olivier before an exhibition game that year that if he had a good night, he would make the team. Olivier went on to record a goal and an assist, but was still cut the next day.

He hasn't gotten as close to his dream since

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
I still have hope that O'Byrne will be on the team (Which would be the case, unless Bouillon is moved, is Korneev comes over).

Plus, I still think that Jon Gleed has a lot to show in his game that he hasn't really been given the chance yet.

Is Degon leaving?

As for the top-4 you mentioned, there is nothing wrong with that. Martin is a sturdy stay-at-home guy and the other three all bring positives to the table.

And our forward core is looking pretty good (Of course this is based upon the fact that RFA's like Locke are re-signed).

Ryan White, JT Wyman, Ben Maxwell, David Desharnais, Olivier Latendresse, Brock Trotter and maybe Thomas Beauregard or Mathieu Aubin should have solid spots on the team next year.

Add those players to Corey Locke, Brett Englehardt, Matt D'Agostini and possibly Ajay Baines or Daniel Corso and we are looking at an awesome young team.

I also fully believe Yann Danis re-signs with us. His future is becoming more and more clear now that Huet is gone.. and with the likeliness of Halak not wanting to be a backup after next season. I think Danis knows he's closer to the NHL now than he has been in years. Unless he's offered a backup job for another club, I don't think he'll give up his starting spot with our minor league club.

Latendresse - Locke - D'Agostini
Wyman - Maxwell - Desharnais
Baines - White - Engelhardt
Aubin - Trotter - Beauregard

Valentenko - Degon
Martin - Weber
Carle - Gleed

Danis
Desjardins

* Greg Stewart makes the NHL club in this scenario.

I like.

Old
06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post

Yeah, he scored 60 PTS in 33 GP for them.

Quote:
Urquhart broke the record for playoff scoring from what I recall reading.
For goals?

As far as points, on his team alone, Alex Levitt had 30 PTS in comparison to Urquhart's 27 PTS. He had 7 more goals than any player on his team though.

Old
06-10-2008, 03:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I still have hope that O'Byrne will be on the team (Which would be the case, unless Bouillon is moved, is Korneev comes over).

Plus, I still think that Jon Gleed has a lot to show in his game that he hasn't really been given the chance yet.

Is Degon leaving?

As for the top-4 you mentioned, there is nothing wrong with that. Martin is a sturdy stay-at-home guy and the other three all bring positives to the table.

And our forward core is looking pretty good (Of course this is based upon the fact that RFA's like Locke are re-signed).

Ryan White, JT Wyman, Ben Maxwell, David Desharnais, Olivier Latendresse, Brock Trotter and maybe Thomas Beauregard or Mathieu Aubin should have solid spots on the team next year.

Add those players to Corey Locke, Brett Englehardt, Matt D'Agostini and possibly Ajay Baines or Daniel Corso and we are looking at an awesome young team.

I also fully believe Yann Danis re-signs with us. His future is becoming more and more clear now that Huet is gone.. and with the likeliness of Halak not wanting to be a backup after next season. I think Danis knows he's closer to the NHL now than he has been in years. Unless he's offered a backup job for another club, I don't think he'll give up his starting spot with our minor league club.

Latendresse - Locke - D'Agostini
Wyman - Maxwell - Desharnais
Baines - White - Engelhardt
Aubin - Trotter - Beauregard

Valentenko - Degon
Martin - Weber
Carle - Gleed

Danis
Desjardins

* Greg Stewart makes the NHL club in this scenario.

I like.
Korneev is under contract with CSKA next year, so don't count on him coming over.

As for your lineup, look at what the Danis-Desjardins combo did after Halak left. I saw almost every game and it wasn't pretty. The defense, you have out of whack. Carle and Martin are RD's, so you have 4 RD's, although Martin did play at LD in Hamilton during his callup, he's a natural RD, so I would think that Gainey will get a natural LD instead of having a guy play his off position all season long.

Also the AHL doesn't dress 12 forwards, so teams mostly go with 3 lines and 2 spare forwards. Trotter won't be the bottom line after being on the top 2 lines this past season. Engelhardt is gone. I don't know what the plan is for Degon, he's a RFA.

Quote:
For goals?
yes