HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pacioretty ---> Morrow??

Old
06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
It never happened to you to forget a f&?%$/" word in a sentence?!?
I wanted to know something about Max Pac that's it that's all. So if you dont have anything so say about the topic....
I know that you don't rush anyone and I'm pretty sure I make more mistakes in my 1st language than you do in your 2nd. I think that when we try and project what kind of player a guy will turn out to be, we set ourselves up for disapointment or maybe that we forget how much of an accomplishment it is just to make it.

If Max Pac [and I only use the cute nickname because of my spelling issues], makes it, he seems like a guy who puts constant pressure on the d, plays a hard game and will make the team harder to play against. I don't know if he has he 1 on 1 skills of Cole or the heart/determination of Morrow.

From what Timmins has said, it seems they are very pleased with him and feel that he's ready to play against pros. It's a long way from that thought to contyributing pro, and whether he ends up like Morrow, that Ponikarosky guy or whoever, I like everything I've ehard and the little I've seen.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Bingo....

i don't understand the obsession with comparing prospects to established players...

No two players ever end up exactly alike....

While they may have similar games and styles... each will develop some unique traits and different strengths/weaknesses in their game.
It obviously isnt an obession. One attempts to find comparisons when predicting the future-examining trends and isolating variables. It is called thinking. All scouts do it. Thats all they can do to predict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Maxpac = Bill Guerin

Hes not a pure grinder, hes more about the shots, the speed. Ryan Smyth, not quite, not at all even, I just don't see it. Not Morrow either. Not Erik Cole, Cole is all about the charging the net, Max plays a more cerebral game.

Max will get in front of the net but it's not the bread and butter of his game. He likes to use his speed and shoot it from a distance since he got very good wrist and slap shots and he love to "punish" with his big body while mixing it up a bit. To me, Guerin is by far the best comparable. Tkachuk wouldn't be too bad either.

Hes not the grinder some are dreaming he is, hes just way to offensively gifted to play that kind of game.
He was also advertised as having some passing/playmaking abilities.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-09-2008 at 11:03 AM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:30 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
He was also advertised as having some passing/playmaking abilities.
Yup, hes the full offensive package with a good 2 way game. (Ive seen all of his game this year and about 12 games from last year)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Yup, hes the full offensive package with a good 2 way game. (Ive seen all of his game this year and about 12 games from last year)
I always thought of Guerin as an elite shooter with a real mean streak who maybe didn't get better when games mattered the most. I'm oversimplifying by a lot, but does Max Pac have a mean streak, and a noticeable shot ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:24 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I always thought of Guerin as an elite shooter with a real mean streak who maybe didn't get better when games mattered the most. I'm oversimplifying by a lot, but does Max Pac have a mean streak, and a noticeable shot ?
Both and a good skater like Guerin. But Max is a big game player as well, if the WJC and NCAA playoffs are any indication.

(Tier 2 wrist shot, tier 1 slap shot for his age)

Just look at the amount of 20-25 feet goals.

Last edited by SOLR: 06-09-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old
06-10-2008, 07:34 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Both and a good skater like Guerin. But Max is a big game player as well, if the WJC and NCAA playoffs are any indication.

(Tier 2 wrist shot, tier 1 slap shot for his age)

Just look at the amount of 20-25 feet goals.
I don't recall him doing much in the WJC's, perhaps I'm forgetting something. He does come up big when it counts though, he was great towards the end of the season when Michigan was ranked #2 and had a 2 game series against the #1 Miamia team, where he exploded for something like 5 pts to help his team take over 1st overall in the NCAA, and then he came up big the following week against Michigan State as well from what I recall.

That said I don't know if I'd compare him to Guerin but comparing players is something I am not good at.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't recall him doing much in the WJC's, perhaps I'm forgetting something. He does come up big when it counts though, he was great towards the end of the season when Michigan was ranked #2 and had a 2 game series against the #1 Miamia team, where he exploded for something like 5 pts to help his team take over 1st overall in the NCAA, and then he came up big the following week against Michigan State as well from what I recall.

That said I don't know if I'd compare him to Guerin but comparing players is something I am not good at.
If you remember, he was hurt to a leg(with medical tape on the full length of it) and still, he was very noticeable on the ice and got promoted to the more offensive lines because of his excellent play. At one point I remember him replacing JVR on the top line against the Canadians, because he showed up while others didn't.

Old
06-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Pascal

From the video it looks like he has a very quick and accurate wrist shot.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
From the video it looks like he has a very quick and accurate wrist shot.
We don't really see it in the video but he can slap at over 90 mph atm.

Old
06-10-2008, 07:53 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
If you remember, he was hurt to a leg(with medical tape on the full length of it) and still, he was very noticeable on the ice and got promoted to the more offensive lines because of his excellent play. At one point I remember him replacing JVR on the top line against the Canadians, because he showed up while others didn't.
Yea I recall him being injured but didn't recall him doing too much.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:15 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yea I recall him being injured but didn't recall him doing too much.
I was searching for some videos and I found this , not exactly what I was searching for, but oh well. haha.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Pascal

Quote:
We don't really see it in the video but he can slap at over 90 mph atm.
Someone mentioned he is a good 2-way player as well? Does he even have one weakness? Where can he improve the most? His skating looked pretty ok in the video, but a bit awkward (not fluid, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing).

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Someone mentioned he is a good 2-way player as well? Does he even have one weakness? Where can he improve the most? His skating looked pretty ok in the video, but a bit awkward (not fluid, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing).
Weakness, I don't see one in particular, that being said hes not the best stick handling guy, he could be a better finisher, etc Theres a lot of things he could improve obviously, just no real flaw from my point of view, thats why hes our best prospect at this point.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:38 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post

Enjoy.
I needed to see that again

If you look closely, at first it seem like he just wants to get his nose in the action....then he gets tangle up and propably thinking this guy is pissing me off. He then wake up and put this guy to the ground.at the end you could tell he just didn't want this get out of and and shows good control.

Big guy coming the habs way

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:46 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I was pretty happy when the Habs took McDonagh and did not touch Esposito with a ten foot pole.

But when we took MaxPac, I salivated and jumped in the air in happiness. We needed a kid like that in the system so badly. Let's hope for more coming our way in 2008.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:52 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Maxpac = Bill Guerin

Hes not a pure grinder, hes more about the shots, the speed. Ryan Smyth, not quite, not at all even, I just don't see it. Not Morrow either. Not Erik Cole, Cole is all about the charging the net, Max plays a more cerebral game.

Max will get in front of the net but it's not the bread and butter of his game. He likes to use his speed and shoot it from a distance since he got very good wrist and slap shots and he love to "punish" with his big body while mixing it up a bit. To me, Guerin is by far the best comparable. Tkachuk wouldn't be too bad either.

Hes not the grinder some are dreaming he is, hes just way to offensively gifted to play that kind of game.
Shanahan?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...me=nhl-rangers
yes I know Shanahan has a right shot.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
Shanahan?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...me=nhl-rangers
yes I know Shanahan has a right shot.
Shanahan is a much better finisher, something Maxpac can't really boast to have, at least at this point.

Old
06-10-2008, 10:00 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Shanahan is a much better finisher, something Maxpac can't really boast to have, at least at this point.
Fair enough. He is showing good signs of finish and I was just dreaming of that type of winner player.
Pac seem to get in the scoring area just like Shanahan...well maybe Shanahan get closer to the goalie but still.

Old
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
and he is a better skater than Shanahan.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I would say he's a decent two way player, he knows what to do, where to be and he works hard, so he's not going to hurt you in his own end. He does have a wide skating stride, it's not fluid but doesn't seem to hamper him as he can get from point A to point B without any problems from what I've seen, plus he keeps his feet moving so it's easier to have a big body moving when you keep it in motion. As for what he can improve, I would have said finishing for sure, as early on he seemed to have some trouble with his shot but as the season went on he started to burry more of his chances.

I personally don't think he has a lot to work on, despite being only 19. Thats why i've been saying, if he wants to turn pro, I'm sure the Habs will be glad to sign him and I would think he'd see a couple games in the NHL but then again it's too early to know what sort of lineup Gainey will have come 12 weeks or so when camp opens.

Old
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I was pretty happy when the Habs took McDonagh and did not touch Esposito with a ten foot pole.

But when we took MaxPac, I salivated and jumped in the air in happiness. We needed a kid like that in the system so badly. Let's hope for more coming our way in 2008.
i'd like to see the immdiate reactions from the 07 draft thread, i wasn't very happy at 1st cause i reall didn't know him, boy how has that ever changed, lol

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:44 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
i'd like to see the immdiate reactions from the 07 draft thread, i wasn't very happy at 1st cause i reall didn't know him, boy how has that ever changed, lol
I was at a friends house that night.. but when Esposito was picked and the running joke was that the Habs should select me in the first round..

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I was bored at work today. I didn't actually glue the numbers to the jersey; they're just lying on it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Bingo....

i don't understand the obsession with comparing prospects to established players...

No two players ever end up exactly alike....

While they may have similar games and styles... each will develop some unique traits and different strengths/weaknesses in their game.

because saying that to someone who has never saw the player play.. wont help much...

Hey, Have you see Steve Kanakaka play, wow, what a player.. he plays like himself.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
because saying that to someone who has never saw the player play.. wont help much...

Hey, Have you see Steve Kanakaka play, wow, what a player.. he plays like himself.
How about...

He plays like a potential first line Power Forward... He hits, he's got a great slapshot, good wrist shot, good skater, and he can drop the gloves..... Thats a pretty good description of Max Pac for me.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote