HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who has taken a home-town discount?

Old
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosT_PropheT View Post
I'm amazed Kariya/Selanne going to Colorado wasn't the first one stated...

They didn't turn out well as well all remember, but at the time that was a huge discount..they made what $7 million combined?? Kariya made like 1.5 or something like that..
its not a hometown discount when neither player is from there and neither player had played there before

but Thornton, Brodeur, Iginla, Regehr, Jokinen and Alfredsson immediately come to mind

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:01 PM
krantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosT_PropheT View Post
I'm amazed Kariya/Selanne going to Colorado wasn't the first one stated...

They didn't turn out well as well all remember, but at the time that was a huge discount..they made what $7 million combined?? Kariya made like 1.5 or something like that..
No, Selanne didn't have any higher offers. Kariya had several, but he misjudged the impact of the new CBA and tried to work a loophole to make him an early UFA. He needed to earn less then league minimum so he signed for like $1.2 or something similar to that. There is a difference between taking a discount, and taking what you can get to establish market value and cash in the next year.

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Mitchell comes immediately to mind. Ohlund and Salo could probably be added to that.

It was well documented that Mitchell definitely wanted to play in Vancouver even before he signed here. It was pretty much a given.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
HenrikZ40

Let's hope Zetterberg is on this list when the time comes...

HenrikZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:13 PM
JTG

Heatley did

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
What are you talking about? Niedermayer and Lidstrom both got the max. Thornton and Iginla might have gotten more on the open market, but neither one of them were UFAs. A bird in the hand is worth 12 in the bush for a professional athlete whose career could end with every shift. Early extension != home town discount on the UFA market. Brodour took a legitimate discount, but that is just about the only one I know of where the player gave up on more then $1-2m on a multi-year deal.
Lidstrom has never had the max. He signed a $10M/yr deal in '02 and that's the last time he ever got a raise. He's won 3 (soon to be 4) Norris trophies since then and no raise. His contract for the next two seasons actually shave $200K off the top.

2 year $10M/yr deal signed in '02.
2 year $10M/yr deal signed in '04. The lockout killed one year and it dropped to $7.6M w/ the rollback.
2 year $7.6M/yr deal signed in '06. Max was around $9M/yr.
2 year $7.4M/yr deal signed in '08. Max will be around $11M/yr.

If there is a max contract worthy player out there, it's Lidstrom. Since the lockout he's left at least $5M+ on the table that he could have demanded and received.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

As someone pointed out a couple of posts back, the hometown discounts usually do not amount to a significant discount. You never see a player of Hossa's calibre taking 3 million instead of 8. It would be 6.5 instead of 8, which is nice, but the way some people talk, they act the like pay cuts will be significant. I'd really like to see someone like Lidstrom decide to take 1 million so that the team can go get some good free agents, but that never seems to happen.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
spoon*

Dany Heatley, Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza, Anton Volchenkov, Chris Phillips.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:53 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
What are you talking about? Niedermayer and Lidstrom both got the max. Thornton and Iginla might have gotten more on the open market, but neither one of them were UFAs. A bird in the hand is worth 12 in the bush for a professional athlete whose career could end with every shift. Early extension != home town discount on the UFA market. Brodour took a legitimate discount, but that is just about the only one I know of where the player gave up on more then $1-2m on a multi-year deal.
FWIW, only one player in the NHL to date has received a max contract: Brad Richards.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Judge Sauer*

Markov could have gotten more on the open market.
Habs - 5.75

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Aaron Ward said after he was signed that he didn't care about taking less money to stay here.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:26 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Marty comes to mind. I think his reasoning was that although $5.2 million was on the low side of someone his caliber, the long term security and the fact that he will get paid that much even if he tanks, was good for him and his family. It was a steal back then....even bigger one now.
If I remember correctly from his book (sorry, don't have it handy) his reasoning was twofold: 1) that winning is the most important thing to him, and with the salary cap being instituted him taking a bit less would allow the team to spend that money on other good players, and 2) that the deal would make him a bit underpaid in the short term, but it would be evened out by being potentially overpaid as he gets close to forty.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:18 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
As someone pointed out a couple of posts back, the hometown discounts usually do not amount to a significant discount. You never see a player of Hossa's calibre taking 3 million instead of 8. It would be 6.5 instead of 8, which is nice, but the way some people talk, they act the like pay cuts will be significant. I'd really like to see someone like Lidstrom decide to take 1 million so that the team can go get some good free agents, but that never seems to happen.
6.5 instead of 8 is still a massive discount that is nearly 20%, I mean how would you feel if at work your boss says to you "Well we have noticed you are a team player so how about it we cut your pay by 20% and you can stay here with us at a profitable company" or you could go across town to their rivals and get payed your 100%, now can you see their point? Especially when you are talking about millions and the reality that a career in sports is relatively short.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Wisent

Alfy for the Sens. He is seriously underpaid for what he brings. Zšta for the Wings as well. I admit, Modano as well. I shook my head in disbelief when they signed him to that cash, but I am humbly eating crow now.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:44 AM
bassassin

St.Louis for the Bolts 5.25 million cap hit per year is a saving over what he could have got, considering he signed coming of a cup win and winning the Art Ross.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:36 AM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
Aaron Ward said after he was signed that he didn't care about taking less money to stay here.
Accepting $0.5m less to stay somewhere is quite different than accepting $2-4m less to stay somewhere.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:41 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Lidstrom has never had the max. He signed a $10M/yr deal in '02 and that's the last time he ever got a raise. He's won 3 (soon to be 4) Norris trophies since then and no raise. His contract for the next two seasons actually shave $200K off the top.

2 year $10M/yr deal signed in '02.
2 year $10M/yr deal signed in '04. The lockout killed one year and it dropped to $7.6M w/ the rollback.
2 year $7.6M/yr deal signed in '06. Max was around $9M/yr.
2 year $7.4M/yr deal signed in '08. Max will be around $11M/yr.

If there is a max contract worthy player out there, it's Lidstrom. Since the lockout he's left at least $5M+ on the table that he could have demanded and received.
the max contract in 06 was $7.8mill - which is what Brad Richards signed for... Lidstrom signed for just $200K below the max contract.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Brycios

I don't think Volchenkov, Alfie, and Phillips took very much less than they deserved when they were signed. They just play much better than their salaries show right now.

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:08 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
If I remember correctly from his book (sorry, don't have it handy) his reasoning was twofold: 1) that winning is the most important thing to him, and with the salary cap being instituted him taking a bit less would allow the team to spend that money on other good players, and 2) that the deal would make him a bit underpaid in the short term, but it would be evened out by being potentially overpaid as he gets close to forty.
Yeah its the same thing with Dipietro. Eventhough, if I were and Isles fan, I'd be shaking in my shoes. A hip and a knee surgery already in his career. Odds of him making it to the end of that contract are looking slim.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
Dany Heatley, Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza, Anton Volchenkov, Chris Phillips.
yup, a lot of players in ottawa took discounts. that's why i'm a little puzzled why so many people are so sure that the pens players are going to go after the money.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Lone Rogue

A lot of these do not sound like discounts to me, like Kubina and Markov, but whatever.

The interesting thing about discounts is the NHLPA hounds you due to it. Crosby was originally going to take even less but the PA went crazy on him. If the best player in the game took $7M a year, someone would have come to Mario's house to break Sid's legs.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycios View Post
I don't think Volchenkov, Alfie, and Phillips took very much less than they deserved when they were signed. They just play much better than their salaries show right now.
Alfie gambled and signed the deal pre-CBA, definately less than what he deserves but I'm not sure it was a hometown discount.

But Philly and A-train definately took hometown discounts, there is no doubt about it. With the way teams are paying top 4 dmen, both could've made well over 4,000,000/per.

Phillips especially, he was heading for UFA and could've cashed in, he was coming off his best season (IMO) and was probably one of the top 3-5 shutdown guys in the league when he signed that deal.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucscaps View Post
Marty Brodeur took the home team discount with the devils.
Marty was signed for market 8M a year contract, he did not even hire agent.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Foy

agreed on Chris Clark in DC. It was a steal when he signed it. Let's hope he can get healthy now.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Marty was signed for market 8M a year contract, he did not even hire agent.
Brodeur is signed for $5.2

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote