HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOURS: So are we getting every UFA this summer?

Old
06-10-2008, 11:59 AM
sandman08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Everyone knows Gainey has interest in Sundin and Hossa. Of course they'd be E3's!
that i agree with.. as well, if nothing else its a matter of gainey covering his bases and options

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Puckhead58*

If anybody was saying that we are getting those players besides Eklund, I might believe it a little bit....but since it is coming from him....there is no chance in hell.

This is typical Eklund though....he comes up with a list of about 10 players who are going to end up in Montreal and hopefully one of the people on his list will sign and he will look somewhat smart.

I never believe a word the guy says....he hasn't had a trade or signing right in the last 5 years.

Last edited by Puckhead58*: 06-10-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:41 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'll shoot Gainey if he goes for Huselius.

If we sign a defenceman I hope Bouillon is traded away. Dandenault needs to go regardless.
They both need to go, there are just way too many better options.

With the young guys they might as well play asap because we all know what Bouillon can bring and it just is not enough.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Bob Bastards

Is it just me or the UFA crop is really thin this year?
I mean when the best skater of the gang is a 37 year old wash out, we have a big problem.
I was looking at the list and the only one I saw that could raise some bidding war is Sean Avery...
Anyhow I am personally not really impress by the UFA available this year.

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
How the hell are we going to pay all these guys..?
You dont only persue players you will sign...
You make a list of potential targets. Isnt that common sense?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
They both need to go, there are just way too many better options.

With the young guys they might as well play asap because we all know what Bouillon can bring and it just is not enough.
I agree I just didn't want to stir up more controversy after the whole Malkin thing

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post
I mean when the best skater of the gang is a 37 year old wash out, we have a big problem.
What do you mean by wash out?

There's a lot of guys there, just some are veterans and people have a "I want an under 28 superstar" kick. Though I do agree, it is a thin UFA year. Less superstars, more 2nd line/3rd line players. Some very, very good D though. It happens.

That said, you could make a damn good team with the UFA's this season:

Hossa - Sundin - Jagr
Naslund - Langkow - Demitra
Huselius - Avery - Ryder
Stillman - Cooke - Streit

Redden - Stuart
Liles - Roscival
Smith - Hainsey

Theodore
Ellis

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:00 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I don't understand the Brian Campbell one. If Gainey is going to spend big money somewhere, it will certainly not be on the blueline.
And why not? I really hope we give this money to a Campbell or Rozival. Sundin or Hossa wont prevent turnovers and hey dont get the puck out of their zone by themselves. Detroit thought me that if you have a stud defense, you can make a regular offense look like the best.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
le_sean

Quote:

There's a lot of guys there, just some are veterans and people have a "I want an under 28 superstar" kick. Though I do agree, it is a thin UFA year. Less superstars, more 2nd line/3rd line players. Some very, very good D though. It happens.

Hossa - Sundin - Jagr
Huselius - Avery - Ryder

Redden - Stuart
Liles - Roscival
Smith - Hainsey

Theodore
Ellis
Hahahaha that team would be the Montreal No-Hearts (except for Sundin, Avery and Ellis).

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:02 PM
znk

I would be so much more fun speculationg which of these players are good options, why or why not. Who would be plan A, B, C or what combo...etc.... instead of reading 90% of posts bashing Eklund. We all get the point after 2 posts. Lets just remove Eklund or even that fact that this is a rumour from the equation and lets have fun...no?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
sandman08

Quote:

Hossa - Sundin - Jagr
Huselius - Avery - Ryder

Redden - Stuart
Liles - Roscival
Smith - Hainsey

Theodore
Ellis
any reason campbell isnt on that list?

Old
06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
And why not? I really hope we give this money to a Campbell or Rozival. Sundin or Hossa wont prevent turnovers and hey dont get the puck out of their zone by themselves. Detroit thought me that if you have a stud defense, you can make a regular offense look like the best.
That's fine and good but is it feasible?

Markov at 5.75
Hamrlik at 5.5
Komisarek (UFA at the end of next season) so we'll say at least 4.5 (he will get 1.9 this season) then add in Campbell at what, 7. That is roughly 23 million for 4 defensemen. I guess that's not too bad and I certainly wouldn't be against it because I really feel like we need another top 4 D.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
any reason campbell isnt on that list?
Bitter about that spin a roonie

Actually just forgot him. I have a bad habit of forgetting one guy when making stuff like that. I forgot a top 10 prospect in doing my Draft predictions and got shat on for it.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Strategically the guys we should get the most are Sundin and Campbell.

I'm one of the few that feels like our defensive core needs fixing. But I think our biggest problem has been to have somebody like Streit being so good on PP and being so bad at 5-on-5. Carbo needs to play him since he needs him on the PP but Streit is costing us great shifts just by being on the ice. I've said this for a while that we need that second offensive D that will have the talent to do as much as Streit is doing on the PP but plays as well on 5-on-5. I don't want Bob to pay Campbell 8 Mill for it but if he could get him for 6.5 and Campbell would love to come to MTL it would fill our need in a great manner.

As for Sundin, well it's the big talented centre scenario again.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post
I was looking at the list and the only one I saw that could raise some bidding war is Sean Avery...
Anyhow I am personally not really impress by the UFA available this year.
How is Sundin a wash out? Didn't he have a great year playing with rookies and journeymen?

To me he is a perfect fit, you pay him 14-15 mil for 2 years thus allowing for long term deals to Higgins Price Plekanec Komi Kostitsyn(s) to kick in for 10-11 and beyond. Adding him gives you a totally new offensive dimension without taking out anybody.

If you go for Hossa or a younger player, they'll want 40+ mil over 6-7 years, that makes it harder down the road to keep all the young players currently on the roster. Plus, you have guys on the way and developing into future impact wingers like A.Kost Lats and Pacioretty in 2-3 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
That's fine and good but is it feasible?

Markov at 5.75
Hamrlik at 5.5
Komisarek (UFA at the end of next season) so we'll say at least 4.5 (he will get 1.9 this season) then add in Campbell at what, 7. That is roughly 23 million for 4 defensemen. I guess that's not too bad and I certainly wouldn't be against it because I really feel like we need another top 4 D.
I don't see paying Campbell 7 mil a year when Markov makes 5.75. I think a team like Edmonton might even give him 7.5-8 mil when you put taht in for 5-6 years it throws off your whole salary structure like the Briere Drury Gomez contracts.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:08 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Bitter about that spin a roonie

Actually just forgot him. I have a bad habit of forgetting one guy when making stuff like that. I forgot a top 10 prospect in doing my Draft predictions and got shat on for it.
i saw the mock draft thing haha

i, for some reason, thought you just didnt like that guy (same deal with campbell here btw.. i just thought you didnt like soupy but chose to ask anyways)

Old
06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
kalessin

I think most of you don't realize what a rumor is, or what Eklund is reporting. If he has something like "Sundin to Montreal (e3)" that only means he has heard from sources that there were discussions in place, or indications that the team would go after him, or something like that.

It doesn't mean he thinks Sundin will sign with Montreal. It just means there has been some interest shown. Why wouldn't there be? Do you really think on July 1 Gainey sits down and is like "well, we don't really want to sign any good players this year, let's work on an extension for Smolinski"? Of course he's interested in the players linked to us by Eklund. If they don't end up here it doesn't mean Ek was wrong.

Just rumors, people. Not predictions.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:43 PM
hickles46

might sound like a really stupid question, but whats the (e3), (e2) etc mean?

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
LastRide

BG might go the way of trade. I think were going to see something happen at the draft. That doesn't mean BG won't scoop up an FA aswell. I think he's going after a couple players.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
RE-HABS

If we were to add a Dman we would have to get rid of Dandy and Cube for sure. Dandy with a buyout, but because of Cube's play last season and his strong playoffs I think there is some value to him in a trade and a need for his style by teams out there.

Campbell, not needed we have Markov and their games are so similar and the cost would not be right since we need skilled forwards and depth forwards/defense.

Redden would be decent to play with Hammer and on the 2nd PP as well, Streit would be a fulltime forward if he doesn't ask for too much but would still get 1st line PP on the point as well.

Some other cheaper depth D of interest:

Rozsival in NY (won't be cheap, but cheaper than Campbell), Commodore in Ottawa.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
You dont only persue players you will sign...
You make a list of potential targets. Isnt that common sense?
Exactly.... You can't put all your eggs in one basket... you need a plan b, c, d, etc if you don't get the first guy you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I would be so much more fun speculationg which of these players are good options, why or why not. Who would be plan A, B, C or what combo...etc.... instead of reading 90% of posts bashing Eklund. We all get the point after 2 posts. Lets just remove Eklund or even that fact that this is a rumour from the equation and lets have fun...no?
Good Post (z5)

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:14 PM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How is Sundin a wash out? Didn't he have a great year playing with rookies and journeymen?

To me he is a perfect fit, you pay him 14-15 mil for 2 years thus allowing for long term deals to Higgins Price Plekanec Komi Kostitsyn(s) to kick in for 10-11 and beyond. Adding him gives you a totally new offensive dimension without taking out anybody.

If you go for Hossa or a younger player, they'll want 40+ mil over 6-7 years, that makes it harder down the road to keep all the young players currently on the roster. Plus, you have guys on the way and developing into future impact wingers like A.Kost Lats and Pacioretty in 2-3 years.
i guess the question then becomes who is that number one center that will take over for sundin in 2 years ??

don't get me wrong i agree completely about how it all fits but in 2 years time we are right back where we are today. Without that big Sundin type C.

vipergtsr404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
call me crazy but I think the Habs need another D-man and a better 3rd line to shut the other team's best line. The offense is fine, even if it doesn't produce as much as last year, at least the Habs could cut down on goals allowed a little and give Price some more help. I couldn't care less for most forwards except Sundin and Hossa perhaps.
I agree with you. We need another puck mover on D especially. Our offense is fine if it's healthy. Maybe on the small side as per usual.

Look at Pittsburgh, they brought in toughness and it helped change their team.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsr404 View Post
i guess the question then becomes who is that number one center that will take over for sundin in 2 years ??

don't get me wrong i agree completely about how it all fits but in 2 years time we are right back where we are today. Without that big Sundin type C.
Who else are you gonna get this year who fits that role....

And you go after Vinny or Jokinen or one of the UFA centres available next off-season... or you draft a few big guys now and hope they develop....

Refusing to fill the hole you have now cause Sundin will be gone in two years when his contract expires (and he's off your cap) doesn't make any sense.

How can you people not understand this... :

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote