HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RFA Mike Green

Old
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Kaptain Bégin

vCash: 500
RFA Mike Green

Some Caps fans think Green will hit the free market(restricted). They seem to think that to equate a more than 6 million dollar offer would be a poor decision. I don't agree with them and I think he's a keeper and he will have a shot at the defenseman scoring title next year. With our cap space, and all next year players we must sign, do you think we can afford him? Do you want him with the Habs at 6 to 6,5M$/yr if compensation is 2 1st pick, a 2nd and a 3rd?

Please discuss.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Pascal

I don't think Bob will ever offer an RFA a contract. It will just attract future poachers to our young core. It's also very expensive to do so.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:52 AM
anarmandaleb

But also, don't the Caps need Green? I mean I know talks are rumoured to be going badly, but...?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Pascal

that's another reason he won't go anywhere. The Caps would have serious issues on D if Green does leave, so they will match any offer even if they have to pay more $ than they wanted.

Kinda like the Sabres with Vanek last year.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:14 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Not sure he would be worth the lost picks and loss to our cap space, especially since we have a few young dmen coming up the ranks.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Blades 0f Steel

we won't have the cap room for 4 high paid defencemen.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
BigTimer*

Gainey will unfortunately never even think of poaching an RFA. And anyways a forward would be ideal if we were to.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Lucius

If contracts fall apart with Washington, we should try and trade for him. I'd actually consider an RFA approach, but you're more likely to land the player through a trade.

We likely cannot fit him in.

However, he is definitely the real deal and worth the money. This kid is going to win a Norris one day.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

$6.5 mill for a guy who had one good season and still is weak defensively? I like Green but I wouldn't give him over $4 mill a year... let's lock up Komisarek long-term before we look at other defenceman.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
$6.5 mill for a guy who had one good season and still is weak defensively? I like Green but I wouldn't give him over $4 mill a year... let's lock up Komisarek long-term before we look at other defenceman.
Exactly

Old
06-10-2008, 11:36 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
He's not that bad defensively. And whatever deficiencies he has he makes up for them with his elite offensive skillset.

But I agree I wouldn't offer him a contract, it would tie too much money into our Top 4.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Markov for Green?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's not that bad defensively. And whatever deficiencies he has he makes up for them with his elite offensive skillset.

But I agree I wouldn't offer him a contract, it would tie too much money into our Top 4.
It's kinda like the souray deal except he's less injury prone and better defensively, he's great but not worth the $ he'll get, same with streit. I like the guy, but unless he takes a serious pay cut to be here, he'll likely get 5-6 million which is overpayment for somebody as piss poor defensively.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:52 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It's kinda like the souray deal except he's less injury prone and better defensively, he's great but not worth the $ he'll get, same with streit. I like the guy, but unless he takes a serious pay cut to be here, he'll likely get 5-6 million which is overpayment for somebody as piss poor defensively.
You really think Streit will get that much? That's a lot. I can see maybe $3 million, but 5-6? Wow that would be quite the pay raise. I personally wouldn't sign him to anything above $1.5. He's not a defenceman and he's not a Top 6 winger so really he's useless other than on the PP. Even then, in the playoffs he was horrid with the man advantage.

It might worry some to let him go, but they said the same thing about Souray leaving. I'm sure the PP will be fine.

As for Green, the difference with him is that he is only going to get better. I think he warrants a $6 million contract because he's so damn good. I just don't think the Habs have the room to keep a guy like that for 6-7 years considering the other players they need to keep under contract. Plus Washington would match any offer made to him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Markov for Green?
Well, Washington is trying to build around OV. He's another Russian and a good friend of Ov's. He even tried to convince him to come to Washington last year.

Mike Green at 6 mill is... 4 first round picks? Yeah, he's not worth that. One good season that coincides with his last year of a contract.

Also, go look at our defensive depth, we don't have the cap space, nor need a guy like Green.

Just keep watching this and you'll like him being on the other team.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Mike Green and Sheldon Souray have virtually nothing in common save both has contracts expire after scoring lots of goals from the point.

Green, as a player, has much more in common with Brian Campbell.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Markov for Green?
Never in a million years, or at least until green proves he can be consistant. Markov will be way more valuable anyways if Green gets the money he supposedly wants.

Old
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Never in a million years, or at least until green proves he can be consistant. Markov will be way more valuable anyways if Green gets the money he supposedly wants.
The thing is that Green actually shows emotion in his game... especially in the playoffs.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
The thing is that Green actually shows emotion in his game... especially in the playoffs.
I guess we are not that many who didn't like Markov's game come playoff time

Old
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
Some Caps fans think Green will hit the free market(restricted). They seem to think that to equate a more than 6 million dollar offer would be a poor decision. I don't agree with them and I think he's a keeper and he will have a shot at the defenseman scoring title next year. With our cap space, and all next year players we must sign, do you think we can afford him? Do you want him with the Habs at 6 to 6,5M$/yr if compensation is 2 1st pick, a 2nd and a 3rd?

Please discuss.
He is not the type of player we need, he'd throw our salary structure out of whack and cost 2 1st rounders. If we needed that type of player I'd go after Campbell.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
He shows emotion in his game? *** are you talking about?

Old
06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He is not the type of player we need, he'd throw our salary structure out of whack and cost 2 1st rounders. If we needed that type of player I'd go after Campbell.
Campbell will make more money then Green and didn't prove much more.I would rather have Green,he shots right

Old
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Campbell will make more money then Green and didn't prove much more.I would rather have Green,he shots right
Is shooting right worth 2 1st round picks?

Old
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Is shooting right worth 2 1st round picks?
no,and if you check my 1st post im proposing a trade for Markov not us signing him to an offer sheet

Old
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You really think Streit will get that much? That's a lot. I can see maybe $3 million, but 5-6? Wow that would be quite the pay raise. I personally wouldn't sign him to anything above $1.5. He's not a defenceman and he's not a Top 6 winger so really he's useless other than on the PP. Even then, in the playoffs he was horrid with the man advantage.
There are a good 5 teams in the NHL right now who feel that adding Streit will immediately boost their PP and have no issue playing him on the third line until hes ready to play the point. New York (22nd), Colorado (28th), New Jersey (25th), Anaheim (20th) and Calgary (19th) are all teams who made the post-season with a Bottom 15 PP. They could all look at Streit's numbers and say, "Adding him should boost our PP immediately". That's five teams, at least three of them with cash to burn, who would have little issue tossing $3-4M towards him to improve their PP. It's a quick fix and for a guy with 62 points, ain't no way he is going to sign for under $2M.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote