HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ron Wilson says Kubina was almost a SHARK

Old
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
BCShark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
He's hated by the entire HFboards already. I love being a Leaf fan.

He also confirmed that Toronto is indeed the centre of the hockey universe. The mecca of hockey, if you will.

Toronto > NHL.
lol ron was hated by hf long before the t.o. job.

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Deebo

He was just praising a player on his new team.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
He's hated by the entire HFboards already. I love being a Leaf fan.

He also confirmed that Toronto is indeed the centre of the hockey universe. The mecca of hockey, if you will.

Toronto > NHL.
Everytime I hear or read that statement it makes me laugh. The only people who actually believe that are the Leaf fans and their ownership. The Toronto media always prints it because they know the delusional Leaf fans believe it. No one will dispute that Toronto is a hockey city but it's far from being the centre of the hockey universe, in order for that to take place the Leafs actually have to do something on the ice which they haven't done in 41 years. Besides what else to the Leaf fans expect Wilson to say, " I'm happy to come here and collect my $1.4 million per year for the next 4 years and only have to win a playoff round to be considered a success."

Pelle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Hopper15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
You should love Tortorella then.
Maybe I missed where the Sharks hired him.

Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Wasn't the deal Kubina for McLaren?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Wasn't the deal Kubina for McLaren?
Rumoured deal was Kubina for Bernier. Kubina nixed it though.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
What a classless way to introduce yourself to your new team, Ron. Well done!
Maybe he's just being nice to Kubina instead of taking a shot at Campbell?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Pavel Kubina is nothing special in the offensive end. He has 6 points in 38 career playoff games.
Wow. You might want to educate yourself about players in the East sometime (before they land on the Sharks). Kubina tied for most goals by a d-man recently and his job in the playoffs was to shut down the oppositions best players. "Nothing special in the offensive end" doesn't get you the money he got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper15 View Post
Maybe I missed where the Sharks hired him.
That's OK, I missed where Torts ever exhibited the behavior that Caps fan attributed to him.

This thread contains all kinds of stupid & bitter, that's for sure. The guy NEVER said anything about Campbell, yet people are going on and on about it.

06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
catgoldfish

Man you guys. All wilson was saying here was Kubina is a good defenseman. That's all. Do read too much into it. It doesn't mean the rest of the guys on San Jose are crappy. It doesn't mean Brian Campbell sucks. It means what San Jose was missing was a solid dman in the back end. They didn't have a solid dman in the back. No slag on the rest of them.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I am pretty sure I heard Mac and a pick for Kubina (not a first, 09 2nd perhaps?). So in theory they could have traded for both Kubina and Campbell.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Hopper15

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
Man you guys. All wilson was saying here was Kubina is a good defenseman. That's all. Do read too much into it. It doesn't mean the rest of the guys on San Jose are crappy. It doesn't mean Brian Campbell sucks. It means what San Jose was missing was a solid dman in the back end. They didn't have a solid dman in the back. No slag on the rest of them.
That was besides the point, RW isn't accountable for himself. He'll make excuses about others before he takes the blame.

The Kubina comments are more of a jab at Doug Wilson then at Brian Campbell.

Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Wow. You might want to educate yourself about players in the East sometime (before they land on the Sharks). Kubina tied for most goals by a d-man recently and his job in the playoffs was to shut down the oppositions best players. "Nothing special in the offensive end" doesn't get you the money he got.
That's OK, I missed where Torts ever exhibited the behavior that Caps fan attributed to him.

This thread contains all kinds of stupid & bitter, that's for sure. The guy NEVER said anything about Campbell, yet people are going on and on about it.
No, he really is nothing special in the offensive end. I did not comment on his defensive ability, because I know his job in the 2004 playoffs was to play against the other teams' best players. He has 6 points in 38 playoff games, and he has a good shot. That's about all the offensive skills he has. It's wonderful that he scored 17 goals in 2006, but truth be told he's a 10 goal, 40 point defenseman, and Brian Campbell is far better than him in the offensive end. Far better. Defensively is another story, but no one commented on that, so you are arguing a point no body made.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:40 PM
hackm

It wasn't a diss on Campbell. They intended to acquire both; it was a McLaren for Kubina swap.

So, if anything, he was saying something bad about McLaren. But seeing that he believed they needed offense from the point over all else, it wasn't really against him either.

hackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:45 PM
shanthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Im pretty sure it was Kubina for Maclaren and a first?

shanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Everytime I hear or read that statement it makes me laugh. The only people who actually believe that are the Leaf fans and their ownership. The Toronto media always prints it because they know the delusional Leaf fans believe it. No one will dispute that Toronto is a hockey city but it's far from being the centre of the hockey universe, in order for that to take place the Leafs actually have to do something on the ice which they haven't done in 41 years. Besides what else to the Leaf fans expect Wilson to say, " I'm happy to come here and collect my $1.4 million per year for the next 4 years and only have to win a playoff round to be considered a success."
The fact that you wrote THAT long of a post griping about how Toronto is not the centre of the hockey universe doesn't really help your point. Just like when disgruntled writers from Tampa write entire columns dedicated to it. You're actually hurting your argument. Try caring a little less.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
dmcccdmn

Let's see how well Wilson does with Kubina this time around.

dmcccdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
LeafsAlive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Where did he say it? You need to provide a source.
He obviously said it at the press conference he had today which is all over Canadian television. Why would he need to provide a source?

LeafsAlive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

Must have been a different Brian Campbell that led both the Sharks and Stars in ice time for game 6, with over 56 minutes.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
93xxGilmourxx93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Well it's not nearly as juicy if it was just a polite compliment to Kubina.......so it MUST be a jab at Campbell!!!!

Agreed, it is ridiculous though. Especially considering the amount of people who didn't even see the press conference yet are still calling Wilson a jerk.

Welcome to TO, Ron!!! Even if you say something nice, we'll find a way to turn it into something mean and start a controversy!

93xxGilmourxx93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Covenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
What a classless way to introduce yourself to your new team, Ron. Well done!
You have to weigh every word these folks speak...there are stratagies behind these type comments.

He was doing a sell job. With all the NHL big wigs watching the clip, he attemted to overrate the value of Kubina, hoping it would encourage a GM to take an extra look at him and upping his trade value.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
You have to weigh every word these folks speak...there are stratagies behind these type comments.

He was doing a sell job. With all the NHL big wigs watching the clip, he attemted to overrate the value of Kubina, hoping it would encourage a GM to take an extra look at him and upping his trade value.
You're giving Wilson too much credit. It was an excuse for getting bounced outta SJ.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
teddygmr

IF that trade had gone through, Leafs probably would have been drafting in the top 4 instead of 7th!
Down the stretch Kubina scored several key goals and was one of top scoring dmen in the league over the final 15 or so games.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Cool Beans Man

This was by no means a cheap shot at Campbell. Wilson was simply referring to Kubina's stellar play, mainly in the last 20 games or so, and his Stanley Cup experience. That is all. He was merely displaying his knowledge of the team that he possesses already, and his admiration for Kubina, as well as Toskala, Sundin, Kaberle and Stralman and Colaiacovo.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper15 View Post
That was besides the point, RW isn't accountable for himself. He'll make excuses about others before he takes the blame.

The Kubina comments are more of a jab at Doug Wilson then at Brian Campbell.
I don't think so. Doug Wilson did trade for Pavel Kubina, Kubina just didn't want to go.

Unless you're implying it's a jab for signing Brian Campbell instead.

06-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post

He's a coach, not a GM. I doubt that he was motivated by any secret trade-related agenda. Coaches always tend to focus on the upside of the players on their team.

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote