HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby's agent whining about lack of attention for Sid

Old
06-08-2008, 11:28 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Actually, what's hilarious is that you can in some way claim that he's degrading Crosby. This is what I hate about some Crosby fans... if someone claims Ovechkin's better in multiple areas, it's defined as hating/degrading/insulting Crosby. I read the entire thread.. and no where did I see anyone degrading Crosby(Unless calling him a whiner is degrading?), I read posts denying his Gretzky type hype... What I didn't see was anyone saying he sucks, he's an idiot, etc, which is what degrading would be.
Wait....I didnt read a post here saying that X or Y was better then Crosby. All I read is people who hate Crosby...hate hearing about him and make a big deal out of everything Crosby related. So yeah I would define it as hating/degrading/insulting...and I'm no Crosby fanboy I prefer Ovechkin but I'm so sick and tired of the continuous crying over Crosby. I swear you cant have a thread about him without half the posts complaining about he shouldnt have snaped his head back when he got slashed in the face or why it rains because of him. Then you have thread totaly unrelated to him and still you have losers poping out of nowhere to say "Oh...Crosby would have been crying. HAHAHA!" You guys are so cool.

It just totaly degraded the board. Cant have a single Crosby related post without the anti Crosby cockroaches coming out of the woodwork.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Yes, Crosby is good; but he isn't THAT good to where he deserves to be front and center of every NHL broadcast. He is NOT Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr, however, he's being marketed as such.......often to the exclusion of players who are just as good as he is (see Lidstrom in the SC finals).

Of course it isn't his fault, however, you can't blame people for such a backlash either.
If you look at Crosby's accomplishments without bias and in historical perspective, he absolutely deserves to be mentioned in the highest company.

He's 20 years old, and has already won a WC Top Forward, Hart, Art Ross, Pearson, captained his team to the Cup Final, and tied for the playoff scoring lead. The fact of the matter is that the only player to have ever accomplished more at Sid's age is Gretzky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Would not it make sense to cast your net wider? THe NHL has got tons of talent --Ovechkin, Malkin, Lecavalier, Thornton. Or is Crosby the only one who appears "American" enough?

Honestly, I think the whole idea of winning the American audience is a losing cause. There is no way hockey will ever displace one of the big American sports. If anything, soccer will do it sooner...
Look at the NBA.

Do we hear enough about Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, and Carmelo Anthony? No. It's all Lebron, all the time. He's their flagship young phenom, and he gets the overwhelming majority of the press. That's generally how pro sports marketing works.

Hockey isn't alone in this.

And here we have a 5 page and counting thread on the Canadiens board, about a player who has absolutely no affiliation to the team whatsoever. That speaks for itself.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
It just showed how biased Cherry is against any European players and any players coming out of the Q like Crosby.
Why mention the Euro player thing when you are making a comment on Crosby coverage?

As for his "Quebec-ness".... it makes me laugh when people all of sudden include someone in the "us" of Quebec when it suits their needs. Any other guy from Cole Harbour is just another Canadian, but because he is a superstar, now... Sid is part-Quebecois.

Same for Luongo. Before he was a star, on an everyday basis in MTL he was called "crisse d'anglais" or "wop"... but when he becomes a star, now... he is "one of us". How convienient.

--------------------

The truth of the matter is that the CBC went with the old veteren storyline, and NBC went with the young stars storyline. You follow it through the playoffs, and this is what you get.

Bad choice on the CBC's part. Nothing new.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Why mention the Euro player thing when you are making a comment on Crosby coverage?

As for his "Quebec-ness".... it makes me laugh when people all of sudden include someone in the "us" of Quebec when it suits their needs. Any other guy from Cole Harbour is just another Canadian, but because he is a superstar, now... Sid is part-Quebecois.

Same for Luongo. Before he was a star, on an everyday basis in MTL he was called "crisse d'anglais" or "wop"... but when he becomes a star, now... he is "one of us". How convienient.

--------------------

The truth of the matter is that the CBC went with the old veteren storyline, and NBC went with the young stars storyline. You follow it through the playoffs, and this is what you get.

Bad choice on the CBC's part. Nothing new.
Uh?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:23 PM
NativeHockey77*

Steven Crosby should get more attention

NativeHockey77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
ktownhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Actually, what's hilarious is that you can in some way claim that he's degrading Crosby. This is what I hate about some Crosby fans... if someone claims Ovechkin's better in multiple areas, it's defined as hating/degrading/insulting Crosby. I read the entire thread.. and no where did I see anyone degrading Crosby(Unless calling him a whiner is degrading?), I read posts denying his Gretzky type hype... What I didn't see was anyone saying he sucks, he's an idiot, etc, which is what degrading would be.
Re-read the thread and if you don't think people are saying Crosby sucks than I dunno what to tell ya

ktownhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
newyorkrangers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy View Post
I think part of the reason for the anti-Crosby feeling is that the NHL decided, with good reason, he was the face of the "New" NHL - Sid is going to be the complete focus. But then Sid, who is a great player, is rather bland - he doesn't have a lot of personality - he comes off as a whiner, IMHO. Because of this people get sick of him being shoved down our throats. While you look at Ovechkin, and yes I am a Caps fan, His popularity was not because the NHL decided to promote him it was because of not only the way his plays but his personality. Remember the All-Star game even though he missed the spin around shot people loved it and him. The fans chose Ovechkin and that is why there is not the complaining when people talk about him. The NHL chose Sid not the people.
It is a good point there, however going back to Ovechkin.. had the NHL chose Ovechkin as the face of the NHL that would make a lot of people much happier. He is a personable guy, and to me at least a much more well rounded player. He also is a warrior, quite the contrary to what I see from Sydney on the ice. I can imagine new fans of the NHL thinking, I cannot stand it, this Crosby kid...

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:32 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Wait....I didnt read a post here saying that X or Y was better then Crosby. All I read is people who hate Crosby...hate hearing about him and make a big deal out of everything Crosby related. So yeah I would define it as hating/degrading/insulting...and I'm no Crosby fanboy I prefer Ovechkin but I'm so sick and tired of the continuous crying over Crosby. I swear you cant have a thread about him without half the posts complaining about he shouldnt have snaped his head back when he got slashed in the face or why it rains because of him. Then you have thread totaly unrelated to him and still you have losers poping out of nowhere to say "Oh...Crosby would have been crying. HAHAHA!" You guys are so cool.

It just totaly degraded the board. Cant have a single Crosby related post without the anti Crosby cockroaches coming out of the woodwork.
I started this thread and I don't hate Crosby. In fact the only negative thing I said about Crosby is that he dives, which is undeniable. When a guy who is so strong on his skates goes down so obviously it sticks out quite a bit.

You may want to view my opinion any way you like. But for Brisson to argue with the head of CBC sports for more exposure than he is already getting is totally bananas. In the hockey world Crosby is getting just about where Michael Jackson was after Thriller in terms of being totally overexposed. It gets to be so much that it actually does make folks resent Crosby. It's human nature.

I don't know if you responded to this aspect, but I think the real reason Brisson is making war with Coach's Corner is over the negative comments about his diving. Trying to frame that as a lack of deserved exposure under the circumstances makes me sick. Either way you cut it somebody is trying to cram even more exposure down our throats while also wanting to dictate content. It's wrong.

Enough already.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:37 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
It is a good point there, however going back to Ovechkin.. had the NHL chose Ovechkin as the face of the NHL that would make a lot of people much happier. He is a personable guy, and to me at least a much more well rounded player. He also is a warrior, quite the contrary to what I see from Sydney on the ice. I can imagine new fans of the NHL thinking, I cannot stand it, this Crosby kid...
The NHL and agents should learn to realize that real fans don't need to be told ad nauseum about top players. We know who they are. We know what they can do.

I've always thought the best PR work Ovechkin got was by word of mouth from fans. I never felt like I was being assaulted by AO hype.

Old
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
The NHL and agents should learn to realize that real fans don't need to be told ad nauseum about top players. We know who they are. We know what they can do.

I've always thought the best PR work Ovechkin got was by word of mouth from fans. I never felt like I was being assaulted by AO hype.
Bwahahahaha... believing Ovechkin was some sort of grass-roots rah-rah campaign is hilarious. IT'S THE SAME THING! Alexander the GR8? Yeah, that wasn't marketing at all. CCM had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't love Crosby or anything, but the constant *****ing is ridiculous. I think the only one who has anything close to a reason is WeThreeKings, and even that sounds like Crosby's Dad ran over WTK's cat when he was a kid or something.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Bwahahahaha... believing Ovechkin was some sort of grass-roots rah-rah campaign is hilarious. IT'S THE SAME THING! Alexander the GR8? Yeah, that wasn't marketing at all. CCM had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't love Crosby or anything, but the constant *****ing is ridiculous. I think the only one who has anything close to a reason is WeThreeKings, and even that sounds like Crosby's Dad ran over WTK's cat when he was a kid or something.
No sale here. It's not like Ovechkin is living under a rock, but he is hardly marketed to anything close to the degree that Crosby is. If it ever did happen he might suffer the same backlash.

Comparatively speaking I think folks talked more about Ovechkin or even Malkin this year. It's not very often that I heard as many talking in the same way about Crosby unless it was to compare him to the other two.

It's not like Crosby isn't a great player. I just suspect folks would rather talk about anyone other than Crosby because of all the over-exposure. It is amazing how uncomplimentary the discussion is sometimes. I still think it is that folks are fed up hearing about him and seeing him in ads on TV constantly. The best thing that could happen to him his taking the summer off from the ice and TV.

I watch a lot of hockey. They were even playing Crosby commercials on the scoreboard at the Memorial Cup. Whether you care to believe it or not there is such a thing as too much. Brisson asking for even more exposure has the same effect as offering somebody puking after a Stanley Crosby binge a plate full of Crosby pork roast with Crosby mashed potatoes, Crosby style Corn, followed by Crosby roasted coffee and a slice of apple pie a la Crosby all paid for on your MasterCrosby. Then let's go see if they have Gatorade at Tim's?