HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Markov?

Old
06-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Well his awful PO performance doesnt warrant a trade but it should warrant a kick in the ass. No excuse for him to play as poorly as he did and then turn around and play for Russia. So what if he doesnt get to play in the Olympics, team Russia isnt the one paying his salary and this makes me question Markies integrity.
Some people take a lot of pride in playing for their country... To some its more important than who is paying their salary.

Wayne Gretzky openly admits to playing his best hockey in a Canada Uniform... not an Oiler, King, Blue, or Ranger one.....
You shouldn't question someone's integrity because they want to play in an olympics for their country... I think every Canadian hockey player in the NHL wants the same...

Did you question Mario's integrity when he lead Team Canada to gold in 2002?? Do you realize he missed most of that season for Pittsburgh, a team he owned no less, with a bad hip... but he played through the pain for Canada. Does Mario Lemieux have no integrity.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Prendan Brust

Anyway, injured or not, Markov wasn't that impressive during the world cup. I don't know if he was injured of just in a slump but his sub par play didn't seem to have anything to do with the physical play. The world cup is way less physical than the NHL playoffs.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:19 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Some people take a lot of pride in playing for their country... To some its more important than who is paying their salary.

Wayne Gretzky openly admits to playing his best hockey in a Canada Uniform... not an Oiler, King, Blue, or Ranger one.....
You shouldn't question someone's integrity because they want to play in an olympics for their country... I think every Canadian hockey player in the NHL wants the same...

Did you question Mario's integrity when he lead Team Canada to gold in 2002?? Do you realize he missed most of that season for Pittsburgh, a team he owned no less, with a bad hip... but he played through the pain for Canada. Does Mario Lemieux have no integrity.
Exactly, playing for ones country is something special and something to have pride in.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:41 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:

This is operating under the idea that Markov was infact told to forget the Olympics if he didnt suit up for the WC. Well I can say with fair amount of certainty that Mario and Wayne were never given that ultimatum. Where was Mario in 2000 for the worthless WC? Yet like you said he led team Canada to gold in 2002. But I guess he would of been more valuable to a Pens team that was eliminated by the end of November... ... Cmon, step it up with the hockey knowledge Beaker. Great comparison lol.

Its all about priorities. Markov has been a perennial underachiever during the playoffs, and this past post season was a disgusting showing by our highest paid player. For arguments sake, lets assume he was given that ultimatum and was in fact injured. What does that say about his integrity when hes willing to play for a coach who gives him that kind of treatment when hes too injured to clear his own zone or to even hold the line on the PP. To me it shows he cant stand up for himself... kind of like every time he gets pressured by a player weighing more than 200 pounds.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:56 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Never thought I would see the day a "fan" complain cause one is playing for whatever reason BUT money...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I don't think the Habs should trade Markov for offensive help and sign Orpik or Redden to replace him.

I think that would be wrong.
Ummmm well.....

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
This is operating under the idea that Markov was infact told to forget the Olympics if he didnt suit up for the WC. Well I can say with fair amount of certainty that Mario and Wayne were never given that ultimatum. Where was Mario in 2000 for the worthless WC? Yet like you said he led team Canada to gold in 2002. But I guess he would of been more valuable to a Pens team that was eliminated by the end of November... ... Cmon, step it up with the hockey knowledge Beaker. Great comparison lol.
Yes thats the assumption we're working under that there was an ultimatum; or something similar; even a "It could potentially hurt your chances of making the olympic team" edict..... Russian hockey is not run the same as Hockey Canada we now that.

Quote:
Its all about priorities. Markov has been a perennial underachiever during the playoffs, and this past post season was a disgusting showing by our highest paid player. For arguments sake, lets assume he was given that ultimatum and was in fact injured. What does that say about his integrity when hes willing to play for a coach who gives him that kind of treatment when hes too injured to clear his own zone or to even hold the line on the PP. To me it shows he cant stand up for himself... kind of like every time he gets pressured by a player weighing more than 200 pounds.
Its not about playing for the coach.... To some players; playing for the country is bigger than playing for the coach.... Not all mind you, but in some player's minds the flag is all that matters.....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Anybody can be traded...but wouldn't move Markov at this point. Another year and if our young studs on the blueline are ready, and another team bowls us over with an offer. Sure...
Yeah, lets trade one of the top 20 defensemen in the league for guys who are about to be learning the trade in the NHL. Markov has had one bad playoff series...is considered a young veteran. If he were 35 I might agree with you, but the guy is still in his 20's. Lets take a deep breath and realize that even though the Habs are on a youth movement we don't need all of our players to be 25 and under.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:53 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Playing with Russia in the World Championship confirmed Markov was not seriously hurt and had only himself to blame for his awful play in both Rounds of the playoffs.

If the Habs seriously want to aim for the Cup in 2009, Markov showed he cannot be counted on as a dependable No. 1 defenseman in the playoffs. As the saying goes, “when the going gets rough, the rough get going”. Markov did the exact opposite, putting on a disappearing act when the play got rougher this Spring, which cannot have gone unnoticed by the Habs’ brass…

So we cannot rule out that a wild card scenario has the Habs signing guys like Redden and/or Orpik, then trading Markov for offensive help. Curious what he would fetch?
The World Championships were such a cake walk for Russia they won despite having Markov in their lineup

Redden or Orpik instead of Markov? You can't be serious.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Maxpac

Tihs thread is beyond stupid...

but just to make it more interesting, we were actually talking about this on the job, with Streit most likely gone, The Oilers heading toyouth transition and Gainey offering him even more money then what he ended up sining for, how would you guys feel about trading that 2nd pick in 09 we got in the Huet deal to bring Souray back, now before you all jump the gun on me just think that this time Souray would be playing with either mr reliable Roman Hamrlik or one of O'byrne/Komo to take care of the D game, i think it's a great idea and we have a ton of cap room

Last edited by Maxpac: 06-10-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Tihs thread is beyond stupid...

but just to make it more interesting, we were actually talking about this on the job, with Streit most likely gone, The Oilers heading toyouth transition and Gainey offering him even more money then what he ended up sining for, how would you guys feel about trading that 2nd pick in 09 we got in the Huet deal to bring Souray back, now before you all jump the gun on me just think that this time Souray would be playing with either mre realiabe Roman Hamrlik or one of O'byrne/Komo to take care of the D game, i think it's a great idea and we have a ton of cap room
Hey I loved it when Souray was scoring for us. But the injury bug seems to have his number. I think it would be better to stick with younger guys

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why don't you look at our record with Markov out of the line-up injured. Then come back and apologize.
EXACTLY!!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote