HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who has taken a home-town discount?

Old
06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
agreed on Chris Clark in DC. It was a steal when he signed it. Let's hope he can get healthy now.
Wait a minute before he end up in DC playing with Mr.Ovechkin he was 3rd line player career 10 goals per season 25 somethign points at best. He still is. Look at Zubrus with Ovechkin 1st line player over 20 goals with out Ovechkin 13 goals

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Game Breaker

Send a message via AIM to Game Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
If I remember correctly from his book (sorry, don't have it handy) his reasoning was twofold: 1) that winning is the most important thing to him, and with the salary cap being instituted him taking a bit less would allow the team to spend that money on other good players, and 2) that the deal would make him a bit underpaid in the short term, but it would be evened out by being potentially overpaid as he gets close to forty.
And that is why he is the man and the one of the first people I would grab to start a franchise with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bicek View Post
Brodeur is signed for $5.2
He was getting $8 million before the cap was imposed...

In reguard to Elias, I remember the rumors that he was offered $7.5+ from the rags...now that is a discount.

"...then they take their retard 7 foot Chara, who sticks out like a ***** in sweatpants..."- Devs4thCup
Game Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
krantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Lidstrom has never had the max. He signed a $10M/yr deal in '02 and that's the last time he ever got a raise. He's won 3 (soon to be 4) Norris trophies since then and no raise. His contract for the next two seasons actually shave $200K off the top.

2 year $10M/yr deal signed in '02.
2 year $10M/yr deal signed in '04. The lockout killed one year and it dropped to $7.6M w/ the rollback.
2 year $7.6M/yr deal signed in '06. Max was around $9M/yr.
2 year $7.4M/yr deal signed in '08. Max will be around $11M/yr.

If there is a max contract worthy player out there, it's Lidstrom. Since the lockout he's left at least $5M+ on the table that he could have demanded and received.
Ahh, no the $7.6m deal was an extension signed before the new cap was finalized, Lidstrom never reached free agency and therefore couldn't sign for more then $7.6. Could he have waited and got more money? Almost definitely. But when he signed his contract he got the most that could be offered.

His latest deal is certainly below the max, but even though he is still the best defenseman in the league, I'm not sure exactly how much he is leaving on the table due to his age. Certainly some, and I wouldn't argue that he is a bargain at just about any price. But he isn't an example of a player in his prime, with leverage, leaving multiple millions of dollars on the table.

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:53 PM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
How about Shane Doan. He signed a five year contract worth 4.5 M per. For the tyoe of player he is you would think he would get a lot more.

PhoenixCoyotes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:11 PM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
How about Shane Doan. He signed a five year contract worth 4.5 M per. For the type of player he is you would think he would get a lot more.

PhoenixCoyotes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Wait a minute before he end up in DC playing with Mr.Ovechkin he was 3rd line player career 10 goals per season 25 somethign points at best. He still is. Look at Zubrus with Ovechkin 1st line player over 20 goals with out Ovechkin 13 goals
Take out his goal totals. He's team captain, plays PP and PK, and only makes $2.63m.

There's only 2 full-time captains in the league that make less than him, Ethan Moreau and Jamie Langenbrunner.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:57 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Take out his goal totals. He's team captain, plays PP and PK, and only makes $2.63m.

There's only 2 full-time captains in the league that make less than him, Ethan Moreau and Jamie Langenbrunner.
One. Langenbrunner makes $2.8M

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Dolphinwave

Like someone has already mentionned, I don't think Brodeur fits into that category. Yes he has a discount, but he can afford this discount because he has no agent to pay since he negociated with the GM all by himself. Yes it does affect the cap favorably for the Devils, but it's like a circumvention that one can do when they are very very close to the organisation.

Dolphinwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Completely shocked no one has mentioned Kaberle yet. $4.25 Million per year is close to $3 mill less than he'd get on the market

Nizdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Completely shocked no one has mentioned Kaberle yet. $4.25 Million per year is close to $3 mill less than he'd get on the market
Good point, he is a bargain for sure.

What makes it even more surprising (that he hadn't been mentioned yet) is that he is a Leaf, should their fans not be out in droves proclaiming him the best bargain in the history of organizied sports?????

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Thornton took a massive discount to allow San Jose to re-sign Patrick Marleau. He could easily have gotten $9M on the free agent market, especially in a year that Chris Drury got over $7M, but he signed a 3 year deal worth $21M over that time span, and says he wants to continue to sign three year deals with San Jose for the rest of his career.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Markov could have gotten more on the open market.
Habs - 5.75
He signed for more then what everyone on here expected. Not really at a discount.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:04 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
Ahh, no the $7.6m deal was an extension signed before the new cap was finalized, Lidstrom never reached free agency and therefore couldn't sign for more then $7.6. Could he have waited and got more money? Almost definitely. But when he signed his contract he got the most that could be offered.
Actually his extension was signed after the new cap was finalized, but the day before it went into effect.

June 27th 2006 - League announces $44mil cap for the 06-07 season
June 30th 2006 - Lidstrom resigns for $7.6mil
July 1st 2006 - new league year begins and $44mil cap goes into effect.

So yes, technically it was signed before the new cap went into place, but Lidstrom and the team knew what the new cap limit was and could have waited 24 hours to sign a larger contract if wanted.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Not a home town discount but Kariya signing in colorado for one year at I think it was 1.6 to stay with Selanne and take a shot at the cup was a pretty high discount all things considered. He saved the Aves 4 mil easy.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Not a home town discount but Kariya signing in colorado for one year at I think it was 1.6 to stay with Selanne and take a shot at the cup was a pretty high discount all things considered. He saved the Aves 4 mil easy.
By signing a 1 year deal at less then league average it also accelerated his eligibility to UFA status. So while he took a discount, it served him in getting a better pay check in the long run.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
If I remember correctly from his book (sorry, don't have it handy) his reasoning was twofold: 1) that winning is the most important thing to him, and with the salary cap being instituted him taking a bit less would allow the team to spend that money on other good players, and 2) that the deal would make him a bit underpaid in the short term, but it would be evened out by being potentially overpaid as he gets close to forty.
I remember something about that part that even if he wasnt good by age 40, he still gets paid the same

Either way, its a team player move that is worthy of

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
8BostonRocker24

Thomas Kabrle with Toronto
Aaron Ward with Boston
Scott Niedermayer with Anaheim

8BostonRocker24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Jokinen took less money to stay a Panther!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
rizzo32

Send a message via AIM to rizzo32
Dipietro, the length sucks but if he did hit the open market he could of got at least over 5 million.

rizzo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:05 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinwave View Post
Like someone has already mentionned, I don't think Brodeur fits into that category. Yes he has a discount, but he can afford this discount because he has no agent to pay since he negociated with the GM all by himself. Yes it does affect the cap favorably for the Devils, but it's like a circumvention that one can do when they are very very close to the organisation.
Brodeur not only fits into the category, but he's probably the best example. He took a significant discount - a lot more than just the amount he saved by not using an agent. I'm not sure how much agents take, but if it's 5% that would be just $350K out of a $7M contract - and I think it's fair to say Marty could be making millions more. He also had to have a lawyer involved with the contract, so it's not like he got 100% of that money anyway.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:01 PM
datsyukfan

Pavel Datsyuk took a home town discount 7 years at 6.7 is a steal for Datsyuk who is a top 5 player in the NHL in my opinion.

datsyukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Talent Analyst

Markov at 4.75 is very good.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
datsyukfan

5 million for Kubina isnt a discount its and overpayment by the Leafs... It seems they do that quite often.

datsyukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
HatTrick89

Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
With all this frenzied talk of players in Pittsburgh taking hometown discounts, I would like to find out who has taken hometown discounts since the lockout.

This could be highly debated, as not everyone agrees as to what a home-town discount is. But lets make a list of every player since the lockout to take a discount for one reason or another:

Ps: when I say took a discount, I mean at the time of signing. My example is Darcy Tucker, 31, 4 year extension @ $3 million a year. At the time, it seemed like he could have gotten $1 million a year more.

Who are your examples?
Martin Brodeur is only making 5.2 mil, and he's the best, could easily be making 7 mil and up if he wanted too.

HatTrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:19 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Jokinen took less money to stay a Panther!

And Luongo bailed . I still believe to this day that Jokinen or his agent said to Luongo and co. "we'll sign for a discount long term if you re-up in the summer". Lupien/Luongo and Keenan had it out...Keenan wins...we all lose.

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote