HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O/t- Donaghy claims refs altered playoff series

Old
06-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
O/t- Donaghy claims refs altered playoff series

No its not hockey but this only happens in basketball right?

Donaghy claims refs altered playoff series

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=577835

PA SportsTicker Published: Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Related Topics

NEW YORK -- Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy has claimed to federal investigators that officials altered the outcomes of playoff series in 2002 and 2005.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
le_sean

Well this just makes hockey look good.

Football has its crime, Baseball its steroids and Basketball with its corruption. Hockey is just a good sport with not much of any of those, if any. I'm glad. Though some of you dislike Don Cherry, he's right about hockey being "pure".

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Football has its crime, Baseball its steroids and Basketball with its corruption. Hockey is just a good sport with not much of any of those, if any. I'm glad. Though some of you dislike Don Cherry, he's right about hockey being "pure".

that new game show called "moment of truth" where there is a lie detector and they ask personal questions for money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHaNyWvZZIM

Imagine having refreees on the show ....

Old
06-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

that new game show called "moment of truth" where there is a lie detector and they ask personal questions for money.

Imagine having refreees on the show ....
Just imagine having Don Cherry on the show using a lie detector!

"I love guys who come from Quebec" BUUUZZZZZZZZZZZ
"Mario Lemioo i always admired" BUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZ
"I have nothing against Francophones or Europeans that wear visors" BUUUUU...BOOM!!
(lie detector explodes...)

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 06-10-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

"I have nothing against Francophones or Europeans that wear visors" BUUUUU...BOOM!!

Old
06-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

Nono, hockey is a barbaric 'sport' played by goons, in which the object is to apparently beat the other team into submission.

Or so I've seen from various anonymous comments from US fans

No matter how many NFLers are convicted of murder/manslaughter/animal cruelty it never takes away from the stigma our sport has.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Well, maybe the refs are neutral in hockey, but they alter the outcomes of games as well. How many times did we say the referees were just horrible?..maybe they never threw a game but they sure influence the outcome of it.

Hockey has the illegal betting network of Mr.Tocket

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
Nono, hockey is a barbaric 'sport' played by goons, in which the object is to apparently beat the other team into submission.

Or so I've seen from various anonymous comments from US fans

No matter how many NFLers are convicted of murder/manslaughter/animal cruelty it never takes away from the stigma our sport has.
To be fair to the NFL, their arrest rate is actually in line with other leagues. The problem is that they have twice as many players and thus, more arrests make the papers. There are roughly 1600 NFLers, whereas the NHL only has about 700 players.

The NBA actually has a much larger percentage of players arrested per season.

...also the arrest rate among NFLers is less than half that among real people. Only 1 in 40 something NFLers are arrested each year, whereas in life, that number is 1 in 20 something.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
To be fair to the NFL, their arrest rate is actually in line with other leagues. The problem is that they have twice as many players and thus, more arrests make the papers. There are roughly 1600 NFLers, whereas the NHL only has about 700 players.

The NBA actually has a much larger percentage of players arrested per season.

...also the arrest rate among NFLers is less than half that among real people. Only 1 in 40 something NFLers are arrested each year, whereas in life, that number is 1 in 20 something.
Yes but in real life, people that make millions of dollars don't get themselves arrested for murder.

NHL players get arrested for stealing purses.

Figures lie and liars figure.

Old
06-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
Yes but in real life, people that make millions of dollars don't get themselves arrested for murder.

Not too many NHL players come from the ghetto either.
In real life, some millionaires go to jail for pedophilia, which isn't any better than murdering someone.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post

Rob Ramage.

The only NFLer who got arrested for murder lately off the top of my head was found not guilty.

I also fail to see what money has to do with it.

The National "Felons" League is media hype.

Old
06-11-2008, 08:16 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Rob Ramage.

The only NFLer who got arrested for murder lately off the top of my head was found not guilty.

Rae Carruth is currently doing time for murdering his pregnant girlfriend, I believe, or at least commissioning the crime.

Does anyone believe that the NBA conspires on an organized level to influence games ? I think this ref is saying a lot of stuff to aid his cause in terms of prison time. I believe that you can influenece an individual but to conspire ? People drink and people talk, and people get in situations where their agendas differ. I don't buy this one, but allegations are like paternity suits, no one looks good afterwards.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Refs alter every game in every sport. I don't think i've ever seen a 100% fairly officiated game in my life. Quite frankly, refs can eat **** and die for all I care.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Rae Carruth is currently doing time for murdering his pregnant girlfriend, I believe, or at least commissioning the crime.

Does anyone believe that the NBA conspires on an organized level to influence games ? I think this ref is saying a lot of stuff to aid his cause in terms of prison time. I believe that you can influenece an individual but to conspire ? People drink and people talk, and people get in situations where their agendas differ. I don't buy this one, but allegations are like paternity suits, no one looks good afterwards.
Right, Carruth, I forgot about him. Nonetheless, I still don't think the NFL is that much worse than the others. Although, statistically, the NHL is the most well behaved, the NFL gets a bad rep for no fair reason.

As to the NBA, it's hard to say. I suspect if it was happening it was more them doing what they "thought their bosses wanted".

I mean, in the Wings/Pens series, the timing of the calls at the end of games made me wonder if the refs didn't want a seven game series as well. I doubt it was anything, but the thought sure crossed my mind.

Old
06-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Certainly not surprising when you hear stuff like this about the NBA and I laughed when I heard Stern talking about it last night. I'm on the side of the fence that believes this stuff is true. The playoff series Donaghy was talking about in 2005 was the Rockets series against Dallas where Cuban openly complained after the Mavs lost the first two games. At the time Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy publicly questioned the officiating against Yao Ming (who according to Donaghy was targeted by officials). So last night they had Van Gundy on ABC and while he would "admit" to what he said and still stand by it, he was still backing down IMO and didn't want to face the scorn from the NBA.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

"This is clearly part of a global conspiracy !!"

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:35 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Certainly not surprising when you hear stuff like this about the NBA and I laughed when I heard Stern talking about it last night. I'm on the side of the fence that believes this stuff is true. The playoff series Donaghy was talking about in 2005 was the Rockets series against Dallas where Cuban openly complained after the Mavs lost the first two games. At the time Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy publicly questioned the officiating against Yao Ming (who according to Donaghy was targeted by officials). So last night they had Van Gundy on ABC and while he would "admit" to what he said and still stand by it, he was still backing down IMO and didn't want to face the scorn from the NBA.
Tuggy, I think that the human element is part of the game, in all sports. If a guy like Ming is targeted, I'd bet you that when a few officials sat down over a cold one, comments were made about him, his coach, some whining, how he would show them up, etc.

Baseball was always the worst for this. Some guys had a bad rep with umps and wouldn't get the close calls. I think that late in Don Mathews CFL career, his act had gotten to the refs and there was some payback involved.

I think officilas are as capable of spite as anyone else. I don't think they have clandestine mettings to organize winners and losres though.

The Pat Quinn Leafs are the textbook example. Tough team, often borderline dirty. IMO, the face of that edition was Roberts/Tucker/McCabe arguing as they made their way to the box. HNIC sold it as warriors at their finest, but the refs hated it and if the SI article is to be believed, eventually made the Leafs pay.

Old
06-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Rob Ramage.

Manslaughter isn't muder, but I'm surprised you didn't say Mike Danton.

Anyway there's OJ Simpson and Ray Lewis who were indicted for murder.

Quote:
The Pat Quinn Leafs are the textbook example. Tough team, often borderline dirty. IMO, the face of that edition was Roberts/Tucker/McCabe arguing as they made their way to the box. HNIC sold it as warriors at their finest, but the refs hated it and if the SI article is to be believed, eventually made the Leafs pay.
if Ron Wilson's latest verbal barbs at his former players are any indication, he may bring the Leafs back into a new era of jackassery.

Old
06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I think the arrests and altercations have become so commonplace that we tend to forget about them. Cedric Benson was released the other day after his 2nd or 3rd incident in a month. Teams seem to be getting very weary of seeming compliant with bad behaviour.

Of course, it has to be noted that Pacman wouldn't be getting another chance if he was nickel back who played some punt coverage.

Old
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
HahahahHAHhaa!!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:09 AM
mcphee

Quote:

if Ron Wilson's latest verbal barbs at his former players are any indication, he may bring the Leafs back into a new era of jackassery.
That's an expression that I just know I'm going to use.

Old
06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Lucius

Quote:

Being found not guilty of murder is better than being found guilty of manslaughter.

Anyway, there are definitely bad guys in the NFL. There is no arguing that. I am just saying, the media coverage of it is insanely overblown. The arrest rate in the NBA is lightyears a head of the NFL. It just doesn't seem as bad because there are only 450 NBA players to worry about, as opposed to 1,600 NFLers.

Old
06-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tuggy, I think that the human element is part of the game, in all sports. If a guy like Ming is targeted, I'd bet you that when a few officials sat down over a cold one, comments were made about him, his coach, some whining, how he would show them up, etc.

Baseball was always the worst for this. Some guys had a bad rep with umps and wouldn't get the close calls. I think that late in Don Mathews CFL career, his act had gotten to the refs and there was some payback involved.

I think officilas are as capable of spite as anyone else. I don't think they have clandestine mettings to organize winners and losres though.

I agree completely about refs/umpires holding grudges against certain players. Hell, even in my softball league I'm convinced that one umpire has/had a grudge against a guy on my team and would call borderline strikes against him.

But this situation that Donaghy is talking about is different then that. He is saying that NBA execs told the refs which players to target. And the series between the Kings/Lakers, that the league wanted the Lakers to win so the refs called the games accordingly helping the Lakers comeback in the series and win in 7 games. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but the NBA is one league where I could see something like this being true.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Pascal

I've felt lately like a lot of the games are fixed, but that could just be because the refs are quite often complete retards since the new rule changes.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote