HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Norstrom, Linden Retire

Old
06-11-2008, 09:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I thought Norstrom was a so-so Dman at the time so I didnt think it could hurt. Yeah, I was dead wrong. That trade, was so so bad, our team was rolling that season, it was such bad timing. I like Neil Smith but he always tried to stay one foot ahead of everyone and at times it burned him.

Good to see Matty have a great career though, he was solid for many years.

Linden was a beast when he came on the scene. He was the reason Vancouver lasted 7 games against the Rangers in 94, IMO. What a warrior he was for that team. Class guy too.
I think the Smith that the Rangers enjoyed after a pretty big turnover on deadline day in '94, really altered the way Smith went about his job from that point forward.

06-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think the Smith that the Rangers enjoyed after a pretty big turnover on deadline day in '94, really altered the way Smith went about his job from that point forward.
Yeah I see it like that as well.

These werent the same trades he made to build up to 94. Granato/Sandstrom for Bernie Nicholls and turning that into Messier - there was a natural progression there, those were the type of deals Cup winners need to advance from the 'just rans'.

Or you could say he went to the Oiler well too many times

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I thought Norstrom was a so-so Dman at the time so I didnt think it could hurt. Yeah, I was dead wrong. That trade, was so so bad, our team was rolling that season, it was such bad timing. I like Neil Smith but he always tried to stay one foot ahead of everyone and at times it burned him.

Good to see Matty have a great career though, he was solid for many years.

Linden was a beast when he came on the scene. He was the reason Vancouver lasted 7 games against the Rangers in 94, IMO. What a warrior he was for that team. Class guy too.
when messier left for vancouver i wanted linden as a ranger. good team guy and one of the most underrated players in the league. he should have number 16 retired in vancouver that is for damn sure.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:01 PM
eco's bones

For me the worst trade ever was Middleton for Hodge. Rick was at the beginning of his career and Hodge at the end notwithstanding the face that Middleton had the kind of speed and skill that Hodge couldn't even dream of. Horrible trade.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
how about linden a future hall of famer?? think about not only him as a player, but his off ice contributions, i say he gets his. and that number 16 will look great in the rafters at the general motors place in vancouver
I like Linden, think he will certainly have his number retired but no way is he close to a hall of famer.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
At the time I thought the trade was terrible becaue they never replaced Ray Ferraro. If that team had a 2nd line center in the playoffs I'd bet anything they would've beaten Pittsburgh that year.

This wasn't the worst of those Smith trades post 94. The worst one was trading Sergei Zubov...I loved Ulfie but Neil Smith traded a GREAT defenseman at the time (and future hall of famer) because they signed Bruce Driver....There was no need...

Oh well..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote