HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks Orpik: Should we go after him?

Old
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Orpik's value is probably at a peak at precisely the right time for him. While he'd generically fit my profile as the kind of hard-nosed #4 guy I'd like the Habs to add, I also think that his pricetag is probably going to be pretty heavily inflated by his current playoff visibility.

If you sign a guy like him long-term to a $4M+ per season deal, I would expect at some point that deal is going to start looking a bit nuts not too long afterwards. Like McKee's deal does now. With him, and Markov and Hamrlik and Komi all in the $5M+ too, it would be a pretty salary-heavy top-4 group. I don't think that's quite the fit we're looking for, therefore. A more veteran guy who might not command top dollar and top term would perhaps be a better overall fit, even if the player doesn't have quite the "impact" that Orpik would.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I think O'byrne can develop into a similar player to Orpik with better puck movement and mobility. So my answer is no.
I agree but only if OB can develop his mean streak. I understand he's trying to learn the game, but i don't see that meanness in him like I do with Komi. Perhaps with more experience it will come out more.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
mcphee

I think Orpik will stay in Pitt., but I think he's likely to have a GM sorry about how much was spent on him.

I thought that Phillips' deal showed that the value of solid but unspectacular d men wasn't as high as we'd imagine ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Orpik is the type of big and nasty defensemen i like so i'd take him on the Habs anytime BUT i wouldn't overpay for him since we already have Valentenko amd Emelin who are in the same mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'll sure take him but it's not like Pens will let him get away.
But they may not have a choice.

Didn't Orpik said that he wouldn't return to the Pens if Therrien is still the coach ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
le_sean

If you want a mean defenceman, go for Jason Smith. Cheaper and has more intangibles than Orpik.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
The cost is going to be too high.

We all wanted Jay McKee after his big playoff run with Buffalo too, and he ended up getting $4M per year from St. Louis.

These are teams that had the personnel for long playoff drives, but lacked shutdown d-men. Suddenly an average d-man steps up when all the attention is focused on his team, and he becomes perceived as a stud.

I like Orpik and all, but if it's going to cost $4M-$5M, I'll pass. Anyway, if we need a d-man for the coming year, it's to fill a hole on the powerplay left by Streit. In the long-term, our cupboard is full.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If you want a mean defenceman, go for Jason Smith. Cheaper and has more intangibles than Orpik.
I like Smith as well so he would fit the bill

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Considering the amount of bad things i read on Smith from the Flyers fan about how Slow, uneffective and just bad he was, i dont think he'd be someone i'd want on the habs.

Most people remember the Smith from the Edmonton Oilers. Nobody knows the Smith from the Flyers.

Outside his leadership qualities, he barely played more then like what? 10 minutes a game if im not mistaken?

Orpik is not someone we need on this team. We have a guy like him in O'byrne.

What we need is some ACTUALLY good 3rd/4th liners (a 1st line centerman that can replace Koivu wouldnt hurt either).

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
The cost is going to be too high.

We all wanted Jay McKee after his big playoff run with Buffalo too, and he ended up getting $4M per year from St. Louis.

These are teams that had the personnel for long playoff drives, but lacked shutdown d-men. Suddenly an average d-man steps up when all the attention is focused on his team, and he becomes perceived as a stud.

I like Orpik and all, but if it's going to cost $4M-$5M, I'll pass. Anyway, if we need a d-man for the coming year, it's to fill a hole on the powerplay left by Streit. In the long-term, our cupboard is full.
I agree...I think a guy like O'Bryne will ultimately be a better player. We could take the Orpik money and use it to resign Streit. Unless...and I highly doubt this...but if another team was offering us a great trade up in the draft in exchange for O'Bryne. I may take it and sign Orpik to replace a defenseman. But that is quite a stretch in my opinion

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I agree...I think a guy like O'Bryne will ultimately be a better player. We could take the Orpik money and use it to resign Streit. Unless...and I highly doubt this...but if another team was offering us a great trade up in the draft in exchange for O'Bryne. I may take it and sign Orpik to replace a defenseman. But that is quite a stretch in my opinion
I sure hope not. If Orpik money is needed to re-sign Streit I won't watch another Habs game again. He doesn't deserve anything above $1.5 million let alone $4 million.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
GNick42

Quote:
I sure hope not. If Orpik money is needed to re-sign Streit I won't watch another Habs game again. He doesn't deserve anything above $1.5 million let alone $4 million.
Streit will come in around 3 million...but I don't think he will get that money in Montreal.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote