HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Canucks trying to move 10th overall. Can the Rangers move from 20 to 10?

Old
06-11-2008, 02:20 PM
frozenrubber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
well they dont have much depth on d

salo ohlund bieksa mitchell, krajicek, edler. they do tend to get injury prone : Salo, Krajicek.
Honestly, I like that top six quite a bit. Not overwhelming, but decently balanced. Add in a cheap veteran #5 for insurance in *gasp* Marek Malik, and that gives them some injury wiggle room.

Now I don't see Vancouver and the remaining front office personnel salivating over a Malik reunion, but I would put money on Rutherford exploring that option.

Quote:
Compaired to the Rangers Staal played 80 games, Rozsival played 80 games, Girardi 82 games, Tyutin 82 games, that is amazing 4 fulltime players on d to play alot of the year. Mara 61 games with a small injury and in and out of lineup. Malik played 42 games same thing little injury and in and out of lineup.

Rangers to have 4 of the top 4 dman to play most of the year is amazing.
This is a note that I don't see most Ranger fans appreciate. And it has less to do w/ the actual players. The Rangers medical staff the last few years has done a bang up and unheralded job. Obviously injury prevention is something you can never numerically measure, but ancedotally the last 3 seasons, the Rangers have had a decent showing in health and I don't think it's a fluke.

I hope for even larger strides in the medical side of the Rangers organization. A top 5 medical staff and thorough prevention programs can effectively add 10% to your salary cap figure.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:20 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Who do you want to pick at #20 that you think is worth Prucha, Tyutin and our 20th?
the bigger question is why would we trade Tyutin for a draft pick? WE are short on dmen, he is good young, and cheap for 3 or 4 years. he is our best hitting dman, lead the team in hits. and people actually want trade him to move up 10 spots to draft a complete unknown (which is what basically all drafted players are), who won't play in this league for 2yrs at least probably. I am failing to see where this makes any sense whatsoever.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I do believe that the 10th pick is in play; however, we would likely be looking to package it for a Patrick Marleau type player, not Petr Prucha.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:28 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
the bigger question is why would we trade Tyutin for a draft pick? WE are short on dmen, he is good young, and cheap for 3 or 4 years. he is our best hitting dman, lead the team in hits. and people actually want trade him to move up 10 spots to draft a complete unknown (which is what basically all drafted players are), who won't play in this league for 2yrs at least probably. I am failing to see where this makes any sense whatsoever.
As am I.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
The Rangers medical staff the last few years has done a bang up and unheralded job. Obviously injury prevention is something you can never numerically measure, but ancedotally the last 3 seasons, the Rangers have had a decent showing in health and I don't think it's a fluke.
Fluke, luck, fate, kismet or whatever. Attributing players not twisting knees or getting concussions to a medical staff seems a little ridiculous to me.

Some players are less injury prone than each other but that is like saying some people are just healthier than each other. Probability says that the Rangers are due for an abomination of injuries that will have people moaning and groaning about bad luck. Doesn't mean it will happen this year but it will happen sooner than later.

When you look at what some other teams have gone through in recent years it's amazing. The fact that the Flyers just performed as well as they did is a testament to the talent and depth on that team. The Rangers barely beat them out staying virtually injury free. What happens if that is reversed next year?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Jackson Ranger

I wouldn't mind drafting Tedenby if he was available at 10 but I don't see the Rangers and Canucks swinging a deal.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21 View Post
I see zero need to trade Tyutin for the opportunity to pick a better prospect. He is a cheap d-man who is solid on the 2nd pair. Why?

Also yeah Canucks want scoring. Scoring that we don't have to give up.
I think Tyutin is a bit overpaid.

If he develops into half of what I thought he could be, that contract would be a steal. But for a real tweener of a defenseman that's a #4 at best on a legit defense corps, 2.85 mill is a little too rich for my blood for that kind of production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
I do believe that the 10th pick is in play; however, we would likely be looking to package it for a Patrick Marleau type player, not Petr Prucha.
I totally agree, and that's why I don't see this happening at all.

Vancouver for years has had an excellent top-4 or top-5 group of forwards, and they've lacked that #5/#6 guy. With a guy like Marleau in the line up, it would spread out the offense a little more, and teams couldn't zone in on the Sedins and think that they're stopping Vancouver's offense right then and there.

The thing is, who is going back with the #10 overall to entice San Jose into giving up Marleau?

This is going to have to be one hell of a package.

My advice would be to stay away from offering defenders, as San Jose has a logjam there.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:49 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
From a Canucks POV - Pass.
Fair enough, i thought it was pretty fair, maybe doesn't address your needs though.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Are you kidding me?! Why would Van want this?

The pair of 3s equal a second. Backman is worthless. Prucha is close to worthless. So it's #20 and crap for #10.

Let me ask you this: would you move down from 20 to 30 in return for two marginal players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
i would only consider a move to number 10 if it looked something like this..
prucha, backman, 1st 08, 3rd 08, 3rd 09
canucks 1st and 2nd

make no mistake, i still love prucha, but
i want the second round pick to grab marc's brother...

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Are you kidding me?! Why would Van want this?

The pair of 3s equal a second. Backman is worthless. Prucha is close to worthless. So it's #20 and crap for #10.

Let me ask you this: would you move down from 20 to 30 in return for two marginal players?
no but if you throw in Hollweg... well now... now we're talkin.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Fluke, luck, fate, kismet or whatever. Attributing players not twisting knees or getting concussions to a medical staff seems a little ridiculous to me.

Some players are less injury prone than each other but that is like saying some people are just healthier than each other. Probability says that the Rangers are due for an abomination of injuries that will have people moaning and groaning about bad luck. Doesn't mean it will happen this year but it will happen sooner than later.

When you look at what some other teams have gone through in recent years it's amazing. The fact that the Flyers just performed as well as they did is a testament to the talent and depth on that team. The Rangers barely beat them out staying virtually injury free. What happens if that is reversed next year?
The Flyers are a benchmark of an overzealous medical staff for years. They have sent multiple players back from concussions too early and resulted in greater, and longer lasting injuries.

The Rangers are by no means free from the widerange of injuries that can strike ANY team. But a well designed treatment and prevention plan can reduce overall player injuries over a definitive period of time. Hell, the Rangers' staff were able to get players like Straka out and playing with 1 arm for nearly a season. A lot of that can be contributed to a particular player, but making judgements when players can infact play and when they absolutely shouldn't (where Philadelphia has made mistakes in the past) has great ramifications.

This is not to say that the Rangers' staff doesn't need great improvement in certain areas. A completely shield-less defensive group to me is an abject failure. There is no reason in my mind why a Marc Staal (a career shield wearing player) should of scrapped his. Team management and medical staff can't force any player to do anything, but they need to make a more convincing argument.

For the last few years, every player that has left the Rangers (on good terms or not) has commended the facilities and amenities the team provides. This is just not Bruce "the masseuse". If you read my post again, I think the Rangers medical staff has done a great job the last few years and by offering NHL top class medical care will infact lead to fewer injuries/quicker recovery times, but we'll never know for sure when it's happening. But by looking at the last few years, one can conclude that the staff mixed with a fair dose of luck has left the Rangers without a catastrophic injury mess like other teams have had.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont think vancouver wants a defenseman.....maybe dawes, prucha, 1st 08
You DO NOT trade a 08 1st rounder. You never know what will happen. Could you imagine we get a rash of injuries (not even just Lundqvist) and we end up with the #1 overall and miss out on Taveres?

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
You DO NOT trade a 08 1st rounder. You never know what will happen. Could you imagine we get a rash of injuries (not even just Lundqvist) and we end up with the #1 overall and miss out on Taveres?
The '08 draft is in one week

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
and the chances of us getting the #1 overall in '09 is about 1 in 100 at best. this team could miss the playoffs, but they won't be bottom 3 in the league.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Ola

I would give up pretty much to get Schenn, besides him I doubt its worth moving up...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Honestly, I like that top six quite a bit. Not overwhelming, but decently balanced. Add in a cheap veteran #5 for insurance in *gasp* Marek Malik, and that gives them some injury wiggle room.

Now I don't see Vancouver and the remaining front office personnel salivating over a Malik reunion, but I would put money on Rutherford exploring that option.

This is a note that I don't see most Ranger fans appreciate. And it has less to do w/ the actual players. The Rangers medical staff the last few years has done a bang up and unheralded job. Obviously injury prevention is something you can never numerically measure, but ancedotally the last 3 seasons, the Rangers have had a decent showing in health and I don't think it's a fluke.

I hope for even larger strides in the medical side of the Rangers organization. A top 5 medical staff and thorough prevention programs can effectively add 10% to your salary cap figure.
i think the worst as far as injuries is the kings, leafs and bruins i think

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:57 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Bloodlines are BS and picking Jared Staal in this draft would be a wasted pick. Much along the lines of the Ferraro brothers, letting family names even enter into the consideration in drafting a player is a wasted exercise. Letting these human interest story backgrounds tinge what should only be quantitative & qualitative study of eligible draftees is what leads to another Hugh Jessiman. Stay away from Jared Staal.

The only family member I would like to see the Rangers acquire is Joel Lundqvist. Not because of his name, but because he's a fine and smart player.
u would not take taylor pyatt?? hed add some grit and size to our team.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
sign and trade Jagr
This would work if Jagr could play power forward for the Knicks.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Nich

Quote:
u would not take taylor pyatt?? hed add some grit and size to our team.
nope i would not.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
John Torturella

Why would we want to give up a proven NHL player to move up 10 picks to get what could be the next Hugh Jessiman? As we all know picks from the draft are not close to sure things. If we are going to move up, try to get the first pick. At least you know you are getting a stud. Id rather give up more to get a sure thing than give up less for nothing.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If on the day of the draft the Rangers 2nd or 3rd best player on the draft board is sitting at 10 I'd offer the 20th pick Prucha, and another draft pick..That's it...

You can't make this move today or anytime before the canucks are on the clock...

I'm not a huge Tyutin fan but I'd never trade a known defenseman for the 10th pick in a draft.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Barnaby

Unless Vancouver is absolutely in love with Nigel Dawes - I don't see any deal happening. Prucha, and Backman are garbage. I'm not trading Dubi, Staal, Chere, or Sang... Vancouver needs offense. These teams are just not a good match.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
oops ...what decade are we in again

Old
06-11-2008, 06:22 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
and the chances of us getting the #1 overall in '09 is about 1 in 100 at best. this team could miss the playoffs, but they won't be bottom 3 in the league.
yeah, I bet the Tampa Bay Lightening thought the same thing coming into this year.

Old
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Attica

Send a message via MSN to Attica
Quote:
well they dont have much depth on d

salo ohlund bieksa mitchell, krajicek, edler. they do tend to get injury prone : Salo, Krajicek.

Krajicek played 39 ganes last year. Salo played 63 last year and 66 the year before, so he does have a tendancy to get hurt. Mitchell played 72 games and 62 games the year before so he gets hurt every now and then as well but not as bad as Salo. Bieksa missed alot of time due to a big injury but has stayed healthy. ohlund played only 53 games last year, 77 the year before and has stayed somewhat healthy in the past.

Compaired to the Rangers Staal played 80 games, Rozsival played 80 games, Girardi 82 games, Tyutin 82 games, that is amazing 4 fulltime players on d to play alot of the year. Mara 61 games with a small injury and in and out of lineup. Malik played 42 games same thing little injury and in and out of lineup.

Rangers to have 4 of the top 4 dman to play most of the year is amazing.
To make it clearer, the Canucks don't need d-men for the 10th overall pick. The Nucks could use a d-man, but defensively, as a club, we're pretty deep.

Mitchell
Ohlund
Salo
Bieksa
Krajicek
Edler
McIver

and in a couple years

Ellington
Rahimi

We could certainly upgrade in spots, but that would mean moving a d-man, as all of our current top 6 are sure-fire top 6 d-men.

We don't want your scraps.

Attica is offline   Reply With Quote