HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is the word on J.T. Wyman?

Old
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Belso

vCash: 500
What is the word on J.T. Wyman?

What is the word on J.T. Wyman? Who saw him play in Hamilton last season? I know he only got one assist, but did he get a lot of ice time?

Does he have a chance to crack the Habs lineup if he has a great camp ? He's big enough..

I'm looking forward to the camp and see how Wyman, Pacioretty, O. Latendresse, Maxwell, Trotter, Chipchura, and D'Agostini fair out

There could be a few spots open on the 3rd and 4th lines and if they can fill those with the above few mentioned, Bob will have more money to give to a better UFA on the first 2 lines then if they need to get a bunch of 3rd and 4th line UFA's.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Honestly, I wouldn't write off Wyman no matter how average he looked in Hamilton. Time and again, prospects prove that they can play differently when paired with NHLers. Sergei Kostitsyn is a perfect example, wasn't outstanding in Hamilton but as soon as he was called up he was electric.

Though there's a good chance Pacciorety will be signed and come to camp, don't get your hopes up.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't write off Wyman no matter how average he looked in Hamilton. Time and again, prospects prove that they can play differently when paired with NHLers. Sergei Kostitsyn is a perfect example, wasn't outstanding in Hamilton but as soon as he was called up he was electric.

Though there's a good chance Pacciorety will be signed and come to camp, don't get your hopes up.
?
Kostitsyn was the leading scorer in Hamilton and, from all accounts, their best player when he was called up.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
?
Kostitsyn was the leading scorer in Hamilton and, from all accounts, their best player when he was called up.
Revisionist thinking. Sergei has been on a climb ever since he went to the London Knights. Though, some people have been lead to believe he struggled in the AHL.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
?
I don't mean production-wise, I mean his game was still somewhat raw and you wouldn't assume he'd be called up so early and have immediate success.

Old
06-11-2008, 11:47 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
What is the word on J.T. Wyman? Who saw him play in Hamilton last season? I know he only got one assist, but did he get a lot of ice time?
Does he have a chance to crack the Habs lineup if he has a great camp ? He's big enough..I'm looking forward to the camp and see how Wyman, Pacioretty, O. Latendresse, Maxwell, Trotter, Chipchura, and D'Agostini fair out

There could be a few spots open on the 3rd and 4th lines and if they can fill those with the above few mentioned, Bob will have more money to give to a better UFA on the first 2 lines then if they need to get a bunch of 3rd and 4th line UFA's.
I saw just about every game he played in hamilton as well as seeing him a bunch of times at Dartmouth over the last 4 years. He didn't get too much ice time with the Dogs, and when he did, he didn't really stand out much. I suspect that next year he'll come into camp better prepared as to what to expect now that he's had a taste of the AHL.

I don't think he has a spot at a roster spot with the Habs, but perhaps if we get hard with injuries he could see some time.

Quote:
I don't mean production-wise, I mean his game was still somewhat raw and you wouldn't assume he'd be called up so early and have immediate success.
I don't really agree, as I saw almost every Hamilton game this year and I didn't really see a problem with his game. There may have been some rumblings from Coach Lever about him but I can't recall of the top of my head. I didn't think he'd get called up so early but I felt for sure he was going to see some games at some point as imo he was easily one of the Dogs best players.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't really agree, as I saw almost every Hamilton game this year and I didn't really see a problem with his game. There may have been some rumblings from Coach Lever about him but I can't recall of the top of my head. I didn't think he'd get called up so early but I felt for sure he was going to see some games at some point as imo he was easily one of the Dogs best players.
I was able to catch him a week or two before the callup and he made a few dangerous plays dancing through the neutral zone. I was sure they wanted him to be a bit more seasoned before giving him the callup.

Old
06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Lever and Willis both said he needed serious defensive work especially 5 on 5.

We saw none of that in Montreal... He was more than adequate defensively.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I was able to catch him a week or two before the callup and he made a few dangerous plays dancing through the neutral zone. I was sure they wanted him to be a bit more seasoned before giving him the callup.
The 'Dogs announcer, Derek Wills [?] does a weekly bit on Marinaro's show. He made a comment about S.Kost. needed to learn how to be a pro, how he carried himself, practiced, whatever. I guess whatever they wanted to see from him they saw.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Lever and Willis both said he needed serious defensive work especially 5 on 5.

We saw none of that in Montreal... He was more than adequate defensively.

If I remember correctly, it was Dale Hunter who said last summer, of the three, Gagner, Kane & Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn was the most rounded(especially defensively) player hockey wise to begin the 07/08 in the NHL!!!

Found it ;

Quote:
Colleague Pat Hickey saw the London Knights during the OHL playoffs last spring. London coach Dale Hunter, who had a long and fruitful career (ask any Canadiens fan) in the league, said of his three star players Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner and Kostitsyn the Belarussian was the most NHL-ready.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/1699

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-11-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I saw just about every game he played in hamilton as well as seeing him a bunch of times at Dartmouth over the last 4 years. He didn't get too much ice time with the Dogs, and when he did, he didn't really stand out much. I suspect that next year he'll come into camp better prepared as to what to expect now that he's had a taste of the AHL.

I don't think he has a spot at a roster spot with the Habs, but perhaps if we get hard with injuries he could see some time.

Well I guess he's going to get lots of ice time this upcoming season in Hamilton. We're going to see what he's made of..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Habitants

i think i clicked the wrong thread. i though this was about wyman?

look forward to seeing what he can do in camp

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:53 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
i think i clicked the wrong thread. i though this was about wyman?

look forward to seeing what he can do in camp
I am looking forward to what he can do in Hamilton over a full season. He's big, skates well and has good speed. So right there he's got some interesting abilities. My concern for him has been his offensive upside, which he broke out this year while playing a new position, so perhaps he's better at LW then RW. I hope to see him have a good year with the Dogs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote