HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators 2008 draft thread

Old
06-10-2008, 06:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
Hi guys

Flames fan here with a question about an issue which doesn't seem to have been raised in this thread. I'm wondering about what you're gonna do with your 15 pick since it's two ahead of Calgary. You seem pretty stacked on defensive prospects and most poster here are talking about different forwards that might be available at 15. Is there any possibility that you pick a goalie at 15? Is there any goalie prospects in your ranks after Rinne and might that pick be used on a guy like Picard or Markström? I reckon that one of those guys might still be around at 31 if you were to want a keep but still, what do you think?

Also another question about goalies drafted by the Predators, what happened Teemu Lassila? I know what he's doing these days but he's not interesting to you guys anymore? Was there ever any talks about him coming over to Milwaukee?
We have too many goalie prospects now to be taken one high in the first.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I forgot, Joe Colborne was still available at forward too! I was initially very high on Colborne, but have backed off a bit due to the fact that he is a project forward. He is heading to Denver University next season, but will probably need 3-4 years in college to fill out his frame and develop his total game to match his size. I think eventually whatever team drafts him will be very happy with what they eventually get, but I'm honestly scared off a bit on project players now with the Blake Wheeler situation recently occuring.

I really like Gustafsson too, but think that it would be a pretty big reach to grab him at 15th. I'm thinking more around #20-23 for Anton.
I would be happy with Gustafsson or Colborne in the 22-27 range of the draft. Both could be gems. Gustafsson especially sounds like a guy that can break out in a hurry.

06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
Hi guys

Flames fan here with a question about an issue which doesn't seem to have been raised in this thread. I'm wondering about what you're gonna do with your 15 pick since it's two ahead of Calgary. You seem pretty stacked on defensive prospects and most poster here are talking about different forwards that might be available at 15. Is there any possibility that you pick a goalie at 15? Is there any goalie prospects in your ranks after Rinne and might that pick be used on a guy like Picard or Markström? I reckon that one of those guys might still be around at 31 if you were to want a keep but still, what do you think?

Also another question about goalies drafted by the Predators, what happened Teemu Lassila? I know what he's doing these days but he's not interesting to you guys anymore? Was there ever any talks about him coming over to Milwaukee?
I will change my name to Fire Poile as soon as I can if that happens ... some kid named Jeremy Smith we used a 2nd rounder on last year's draft

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We have too many goalie prospects now to be taken one high in the first.
Yep.

Rinne (GotF)
Dekanich (projects as a starter)
Smith (projects as a starter)
Engren (projects as a backup?)

And besides, remember what happened LAST time we drafted a goalie in the first round?

Quote:
Lassila is no longer affiliated with the organization. He was released last spring.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The HF mock is up. Feel free to rake me over the coals !!! Keep in mind that there were no trades, and obviously, if Poile took this route in the draft - there would have to be trades.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=523345

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 01:17 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The HF mock is up. Feel free to rake me over the coals !!! Keep in mind that there were no trades, and obviously, if Poile took this route in the draft - there would have to be trades.

I really wanted the Preds to get Boedker but the more I see of Wilson the more I like him, too. I like that he has a nice big body and seems to like going to the net. I think it's becoming less and less likely that Boedker will be around at 9 so I think I'm very much wanting Wilson with the 9 pick.

2 questions though...Listed as a center but can/does he play on wing? And can he play this year?

I would like to see a Rad/Stefanovich line. And I wonder if Radulov could help Stefanovich be more consistent and work harder in the NHL (esp. since someone said that Rads talked to him during the year about being more consistent/working harder). But then again if Rads still gets upset and pouty himself, then how could he help someone else? Maybe they would force each other to grow up or maybe Radulov has seen the light and will come to camp in shape and be primed for a breakout season and be somewhat of a mentor to Stefanovich.

I like your draft overall. I just don't want to get dmen that high because it likely would mean a trade of Suter and I really don't want to trade him (no matter the return). I like the way he came along at the end of the year/po, and I found myself yelling "SUTER !" less and less the second half of the year. Plus I love a Weber/Suter pairing.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 01:23 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Stefanovich could've gone top 15 if he would actually, you know, WORK.

I don't like the Cuma pick, and I think we should either trade down or reach for a forward with that pick if Sauve isn't available. I wouldn't have a problem with Toews at that position (and he was available), but Stefanovich is too much of a boom-or-bust pick. And it's definitely NOT Poile's style.

9- Wilson
15- Del Zotto OR Bailey if Del Zotto is off the board
31- If Sauve is off the board, trade down or reach for a forward (Stefanovich?)
46- Toews, Arniel

Then get a physical defenseman later in the draft (maybe Mattias Ekholm in the 6th round?) and add a center (if Cormier is available at 75, grab him). Maybe throw in a scoring winger and another powerforward (I like Toni Ritter in the 5th round) later on in the draft also.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-11-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old
06-11-2008, 01:37 AM
LennyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Yep.

Rinne (GotF)
Dekanich (projects as a starter)
Smith (projects as a starter)
Engren (projects as a backup?)

And besides, remember what happened LAST time we drafted a goalie in the first round?

Lassila is no longer affiliated with the organization. He was released last spring.
ok. thanks for the answer

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

We really should not draft any defensemen in first 3 rounds, especially more offensive defensemen.

Old
06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We really should not draft any defensemen in first 3 rounds, especially more offensive defensemen.
I disagree with the bolded portion. If you have a chance to get a big, physical, stay-at-home or two-way defenseman, I think you go for it. A guy like Del Zotto, despite being an OFD, is a clear and away BPA selection if he falls to 15.

I don't really know if Cuma is all that physical, which is why I didn't like the pick that much. A guy like Sauve, who is already a behemoth (6'3", 220 lbs), plays top-pairing minutes and likes to throw the body and has no problems dropping the gloves, is more of what we need. If Cuma is more than willing to play the body and maybe even throw down the gloves on occasion, then my opinion of that pick changes dramatically.

Poile has shown a recent tendency to stay away from the QMJHL, though. Perhaps our eastern Canada scouts aren't the best, as the most successful player we've drafted out of the Q was Richard Stehlik. This could be the year that all of that changes, though.

Old
06-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
I disagree with the bolded portion. If you have a chance to get a big, physical, stay-at-home or two-way defenseman, I think you go for it. A guy like Del Zotto, despite being an OFD, is a clear and away BPA selection if he falls to 15.

I don't really know if Cuma is all that physical, which is why I didn't like the pick that much. A guy like Sauve, who is already a behemoth (6'3", 220 lbs), plays top-pairing minutes and likes to throw the body and has no problems dropping the gloves, is more of what we need. If Cuma is more than willing to play the body and maybe even throw down the gloves on occasion, then my opinion of that pick changes dramatically.

Poile has shown a recent tendency to stay away from the QMJHL, though. Perhaps our eastern Canada scouts aren't the best, as the most successful player we've drafted out of the Q was Richard Stehlik. This could be the year that all of that changes, though.
I do not understand this line of thinking. Where is Del Zotto or anyone else going to fit?? Klein can't even see ice time already with the D-man logjam. At least 3 guys are already in line behind him. Is anyone outside of the top 3 guys vastly better than Blum, Klein, Koistinen, Franson, and Laasko?? Does Radulov count as a Q pick???

Last edited by Gnashville: 06-11-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Obviously I agree with the thought process behind not selecting a defenseman, but this is a draft that is extremely deep in defensive talent. If we keep all four picks, I would wager at least 1, and maybe 2 will be defenseman.....because of the talent there. With that said, if you draft 2 or even 1, Poile has to make a trade. I couldn't make a trade in this mock - I could only make the selections. It would make sense for us to be highly flexible (as in willing to trade up or down) at our draft positions (after the initial selection) based on the board in front of us.

Old
06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I do not understand this line of thinking. Where is Del Zotto or anyone else going to fit?? Klein can't even see ice time already with the D-man logjam. At least 3 guys are already in line behind him. Is anyone outside of the top 3 guys vastly better than Blum, Klein, Koistinen, Franson, and Laasko?? Does Radulov count as a Q pick???
When Radulov was drafted he was playing in Russia. He came over to the Q AFTER being drafted, so no.

The line of thinking is called "drafting the best player available." I would hope everyone is familiar with that. If we can't swing a trade at 15 and no forwards projected to go in that range are available, we should select the BPA, and that would be Del Zotto by a longshot.

Besides, we don't know what's going to happen in 2-4 years. We could be in dire need of defensemen after 2010 for all we know. Del Zotto is a safe bet to be a successful NHL player and if we still have a log-jam, he could be used as the foundation for a big trade.

Old
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I wish we could get our hands on one of the 5-8th picks in the draft, while still hanging on to Suter and the 9th pick. If we did that, we could land either one of the elite top 4 defensemen, or our choice of Filatov/Bodeker, to go along with Hodgison/Wilson/Beach. Pipe dream, I know....I wonder how much extra it would take to move up. The 15th pick, a 2nd rounder this year or next, +????

Old
06-11-2008, 08:42 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
It's upto Poile to move our assests to make it work.

You pick the best player available, period. We can look back and say, oh we could've picked up "Dion Phanuef" at #9, but we didn't need a dman. So, we picked "Hugh Jessiman" instead.

That being said, Poile has shown little ability to deal for a position of strength in his career as a GM.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:11 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

First, none of us locals has had a chance to actually scout these players, video clips and scouting reports don't give you a full picture, so we don't know if who is a better "by a long shot".

Secondly. In 2003, much was made of the forward depth in that draft. The draft the Poile found Suter, Weber and Klein.

Old
06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It's upto Poile to move our assests to make it work.

You pick the best player available, period. We can look back and say, oh we could've picked up "Dion Phanuef" at #9, but we didn't need a dman. So, we picked "Hugh Jessiman" instead.

That being said, Poile has shown little ability to deal for a position of strength in his career as a GM.
I think you meant deal FROM a strength.

I think you go BPA each selection. The trick is - if we really need a forward, we need to put ourselves in a position to get that forward. Hopefully, this draft will not be disappointing. I think it would be hard to disappoint due to the sheer volume of early picks.

Old
06-12-2008, 02:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I think you go BPA each selection. The trick is - if we really need a forward, we need to put ourselves in a position to get that forward. Hopefully, this draft will not be disappointing. I think it would be hard to disappoint due to the sheer volume of early picks.
So we have to find a way to make the forwards the BPAs is basically what you're saying, right?

I don't think we trade down a lot. I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily to have a dozen or more picks, but I don't think we get to that point. That would take some pretty obscene trading...

Old
06-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
So we have to find a way to make the forwards the BPAs is basically what you're saying, right?

I'm just saying that at 9, the BPA is probably a forward. At 15, it very well could be a defensemen. If we know this, it might be wise to either move up or move down (especially if we are not going to make any trades).

On an off note - it looks like Lecavlier and Jokinen will both be made available. I wonder if Poile has any interest?

Old
06-12-2008, 09:06 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Or, you could see Poile deal 2 defensemen and then make a pick. There are a lot of options but I wish Poile was a bit more creative in his dealings.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
When Radulov was drafted he was playing in Russia. He came over to the Q AFTER being drafted, so no.

The line of thinking is called "drafting the best player available." I would hope everyone is familiar with that. If we can't swing a trade at 15 and no forwards projected to go in that range are available, we should select the BPA, and that would be Del Zotto by a longshot.

Besides, we don't know what's going to happen in 2-4 years. We could be in dire need of defensemen after 2010 for all we know. Del Zotto is a safe bet to be a successful NHL player and if we still have a log-jam, he could be used as the foundation for a big trade.
I know what BPA is but it's illogical at times If Myers is the highest on the board at 9, Del Zotto @ 15, Cuma @ 31 or 40 and another D-man @ 46, another D-man in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds because they were all the BPA when there pick came up each time why do that just to spend the money developing them, and transporting them to Nashville for traing camp just to ship them out for a rental player at the deadline??? When you could get the forward you needed all along in this draft. We are thin at forward, Smithson, Fiddler, Perverly ring a bell.

Old
06-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....#pluckcomments

No day with the Beach for us Thank God. Now if we could just get Poile to believe we are already over the Defensman plethora mark.

Old
06-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

I was able to luck out and draft Boedker AND Myers

Old
06-16-2008, 09:52 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
If that happens... my head will ergemasplode.

Old
06-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
If that happens... my head will ergemasplode.
killing two birds with your first two stones is pretty sweet right ?