HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Demitra

Old
06-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Sebastien Centomo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Joni View Post
5M+ on a multi year deal ? what team would be krazy enough to pay that much for an old injury prone guy like him ?
Are you new to the NHL?

Sebastien Centomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:06 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
It doesn't look like Minnesota is interested in bringing him back. And that's probably because of money, because I would be shocked if Demitra signs for less than what he's making now--4.5 million. That's probably too much for Minnesota's plans.
I would honestly hope not. Sorry hes a decent player, and a great guy to talk to, but his production isn't close to 4 million, not when you look at how much other players that are above his caliber are doing.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Demitra's value is 1 Martin Havlat and 2 Carlo Colaiacavos... in games played per season.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
  • There are desperate teams with cap space and few prospects to trade. These teams can choose the "suck and rebuild" method tho'.
  • Lack of good UFAs this offseason.
  • He puts up decent numbers even with all those injuries.

2 year at $5M/yr... maybe a 3rd year at $3M/yr for an average around ~$4M.
I have a feeling you're right, but Demitra signed to that kind of deal is ugly. He's on his last legs and will run out of steam sooner rather than later, anything over 2 yr 8 mil is just bad judgement.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Noldo

From cap management viewpoint, Demitra is among the players that could be given long term contract. After all, he will be under 35 for a contract signed this year or next year, so team won't be bound by his cap hit for this contract if he is forced to retire.

I would think that best offer would be giving him 3 or 4 years with heavily decreasing salary (something like 6 - 5 - 3 - 2 for cap hit of 4,0 million over four years). Naturally there is huge risk involved, especially if Demitra gets injured badly enough to affect his game but not badly enough to encourage him to retire.

From Demitra's viewpoint, such frontloaded contract could give him more money over next two years than two year deal (I doubt any team would go over 11 / 2 years for him), but loses change of earning another big contract after that one (and getting only 5 / 2 years), but with his injury history not very many teams are going to give him long term (even 2 year) contract once he hits 35.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:22 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
How many other free agents have signed for less than what they made the previous season? He'll get at least 5 million and he will have multiple offers.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

considering all the rumours around him coming to Vancouver, you'd have to think that he's putting the organization where he plays as a higher priority than the salary he will earn.

why would a guy who is looking for a big contract go to any NHL city and then publically (via Slovak media) state that he's going to sign there next season, when he can't even start negotiating a deal at this point, if he's so concerned about money??

as a canuck fan, I'm hoping this is the case... I would hate to see Gillis commit $5mill a year, or more, for him... but I can't see him putting much priority on signing a big deal, if he's going to come out and say that he's going to sign with a particular team, and even travel to that city and have a player show him around (Naslund in this case).

personally, I think the canucks need a different type of player than Demitra to fill their holes up front... but if he's really that interested in signing in Vancouver, and willing to do so at a reasonable contract, you can't ignore his offensive skills (which the canucks need to add!)... and he becomes all the more valuable if it gets you a better chance at signing Hossa as well.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Demitra is a soft player who disappears when the going gets rough, which in the NW and the Western conference = 1st round exits from the playoffs.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Demitra is a soft player who disappears when the going gets rough, which in the NW and the Western conference = 1st round exits from the playoffs.

Like Hossa, you mean?

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Some teams I see showing interest in him are
-Panthers: Add some scoring depth.
-Penguins: If Hossa doesn't resign, shouldn't be as much or as long as a deal plus a winger for Crosby.
-Rangers: Have money to spend.
-Canucks: Shown interest already, need scoring depth.
-Sabres: Scoring depth, player to complement other stars on team.
-Kings-Wasn't that bad first time around,expierenced player.
-Lightning-need to add scoring depth, have cap space.
Islanders-Typical signing for them, over pay to get players

Like said by others I don't think he should get over 4 Million a year, but someone will over pay, I feel he has 1 or 2 more good years left in him. So maybe a 2 year deal worth 5-6 million $.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I would honestly hope not. Sorry hes a decent player, and a great guy to talk to, but his production isn't close to 4 million, not when you look at how much other players that are above his caliber are doing.
A nearly point-per-game player isn't worth 4 million? Bill Guerin got 4.5 million, and he's 4 years older. Plus he's never been as consistent offensively. Handzus, of all people, signed for 4 million. Nagy signed for 3.75. I'd be surprised if Demitra signs for less than 5 million. He's worth 4+, no question.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
-Penguins: If Hossa doesn't resign, shouldn't be as much or as long as a deal plus a winger for Crosby.

Like said by others I don't think he should get over 4 Million a year, but someone will over pay, I feel he has 1 or 2 more good years left in him. So maybe a 2 year deal worth 5-6 million $.
We have too many other holes to fill to go out and overpay for a guy who's going to spend half the season in a wheelchair.

Although, if he could be had for 3 mil, I'm sure Sather would be dumb enough to try and get him for Jagr.

Quote:
A nearly point-per-game player isn't worth 4 million? Bill Guerin got 4.5 million, and he's 4 years older. Plus he's never been as consistent offensively. Handzus, of all people, signed for 4 million. Nagy signed for 3.75. I'd be surprised if Demitra signs for less than 5 million. He's worth 4+, no question.
Yeah, but he was signed by the Fishsticks. Not exactly exemplary contract management going on over there. Not to mention Guerin can play an entire season without going on the IR.

And no, the Rangers aren't much better in terms of contract management as of late.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Sure - that *should* be worth easily $5+ million...provided that player actually plays 82 games (which doesn't seem very likely in Demitra's case). Also, in three out of his last four seasons he wasn't really "nearly a point-per-game" player.

I'm not saying a GM won't offer him a $5+ million long-term deal (as we've all seen some pretty terrible contracts given out) - I just wouldn't want my team (Canucks) to be the one offering him that deal.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
Like Hossa, you mean?
No, actually nothing like Hossa. Demira is five years older, injury-prone, and has played over 75 games only twice in ten full NHL seasons. Not to mention, he's not nearly the two-way player Hossa is, offensively or defensively.

He's actually nothing like Hossa other than the fact that they are both Slovakian.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Also, in three out of his last four seasons he wasn't really "nearly a point-per-game" player.
2003-4 - 58/68 = 85%
2005-6 - 62/58 = 106%
2006-7 - 64/71 = 90% (he was at PPG until the last week of the season)
2007-8 - 54/68 = 79%

Average = 90%

If 85-90% isn't nearly PPG, what is?

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
That or he underperforms for the price when it counts. He can complain about playing center instead of wing, but I saw a lot of "I give up" in him last season.
Hence the reason why the Kings dealt him.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post

The Kings traded him away for a reason, I highly doubt he comes back. Plus signing him takes a spot away from one of the kids. The Kings need a 2nd line center, Demitra is not a 2nd line center.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 11:54 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
No, actually nothing like Hossa. Demira is five years older, injury-prone, and has played over 75 games only twice in ten full NHL seasons. Not to mention, he's not nearly the two-way player Hossa is, offensively or defensively.

He's actually nothing like Hossa other than the fact that they are both Slovakian.
Oops, you missed the point.

Until this year, Hossa was a soft player who disappeared in the playoffs according to most around here. Until the year before, it was Datsyuk. Now those same charges are being levelled at Demitra. I didn't say Hossa and Demitra are the same player, I was simply pointing to the silliness of that type of commentary.

Old
06-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Oops, you missed the point.

Until this year, Hossa was a soft player who disappeared in the playoffs according to most around here. Until the year before, it was Datsyuk. Now those same charges are being levelled at Demitra. I didn't say Hossa and Demitra are the same player, I was simply pointing to the silliness of that type of commentary.
Demitra is five years older than Hossa. At this point of his career, it is highly unlikely that anything regarding his playoff play changes.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Vancouver. Knowing he wants to be here, Gillis will squeeze a slight discount out of him.

3 years: 4.5 per

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 01:31 AM
kihei

vCash: 3219
The four million that he may well receive is much better spent on someone younger and less injury prone. His signing may indicate nothing more than a bad decision by an incompetent GM.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 03:41 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelson View Post
He might go to Vancouver but I think he may end up in Ranger colours, they have money to spend
So does Vancouver. They have 16 million dollars to fill up 4 more roster spots.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Demitra is five years older than Hossa. At this point of his career, it is highly unlikely that anything regarding his playoff play changes.
Sandlak does have a valid point - though so do you. Reason? While there's still a chance Demitra *might* suddenly "turn it on" in the post-season (that is if the team he's on qualifies for the playoffs) - there's also the very likely possibility he'll be injured as well (which obviously decreases the chances of a "turnaround" happening). Hossa misses very few games - I think Sami Salo has played as many NHL regular season as Demitra the past 5 seasons or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
So does Vancouver. They have 16 million dollars to fill up 4 more roster spots.
Hopefully a good chunk of that will be going to Hossa.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:38 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Like Hossa, you mean?
other than Hossa being Pittsburgh's best player the entire SCF series, goof. dude backchecks his ass off. how is that disappearing if youre playing both ways? "he's not canadian and theres a stigma against him so i just say ungrounded things because its popular in hockey circles."

dudes showed up a hell of a lot more than the Sedin Sisters have.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
other than Hossa being Pittsburgh's best player the entire SCF series, goof. dude backchecks his ass off. how is that disappearing if youre playing both ways? "he's not canadian and theres a stigma against him so i just say ungrounded things because its popular in hockey circles."

dudes showed up a hell of a lot more than the Sedin Sisters have.
Talk about missing the point entirely. You've actually just supported my argument, "goof."

By the way, referring to the Sedins as "sisters" makes you look like a retard.