HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: HDMI Cables for HDTV

Old
06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
OT: HDMI Cables for HDTV

Hey,

Quick question guys... I just bought a 52 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV LC-52D64U. In the store I was told that I need to buy the 800 HDMI Monster Cables to get the best HD picture. I have a PS3, and a cable box. I then read a review online that said all HDMI cables work the same. Any of you guys tech masters? I'm willing to pay more for cables if it means the best picture, because after the price I paid for the TV - I do want optimum performance. With that said, I don't want to throw money away either.

Thanks guys.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Hey,

Quick question guys... I just bought a 52 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV LC-52D64U. In the store I was told that I need to buy the 800 HDMI Monster Cables to get the best HD picture. I have a PS3, and a cable box. I then read a review online that said all HDMI cables work the same. Any of you guys tech masters? I'm willing to pay more for cables if it means the best picture, because after the price I paid for the TV - I do want optimum performance. With that said, I don't want to throw money away either.

Thanks guys.
I'll tell you a quick story.

I bought a Vizio 34' HDTV about a year ago, and did not bother to buy the HDMI hookup, mostly because I had no idea what it was. I watched both the Rangers games and Mets games on the 700 channels in IO, which are supposed to be in HD. I was pretty happy with it. A few days ago, one of my friends came over to watch the Mets game with me and he told me to turn on HD, and I told him we already had it on HD. He laughed, and changed the cable to an HDMI hookup and WOW. HUGE DIFFERENCE. All this time I thought I was watching HD! I had no idea that the HDMI cable would make such a better picture. Crystal clear, its breathtaking. So, my advice to you is, buy the HDMI cable

06-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post

I bought a Vizio 34' HDTV about a year ago, and did not bother to buy the HDMI hookup, mostly because I had no idea what it was. I watched both the Rangers games and Mets games on the 700 channels in IO, which are supposed to be in HD. I was pretty happy with it. A few days ago, one of my friends came over to watch the Mets game with me and he told me to turn on HD, and I told him we already had it on HD. He laughed, and changed the cable to an HDMI hookup and WOW. HUGE DIFFERENCE. All this time I thought I was watching HD! I had no idea that the HDMI cable would make such a better picture. Crystal clear, its breathtaking. So, my advice to you is, buy the HDMI cable
Thanks, I definately intend to get them. i hear the PS3 Blue-Ray is unreal with the cable. Also, hockey is crazy on my parents HDTV. I know they like to sell you the $120 dollar cable at the stores. My friend was telling me that any decent cable is the same... I'm not sure if he's exactly qualified to give advice though regarding this issue lol.

Old
06-11-2008, 06:21 PM
broadwayblue

the guy in the store, like most retail salespeople, is an idiot.

get this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

it will work as well as any $150 HDMI cable, and you'll end up with about $145 extra in your pocket.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:22 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Thanks, I definately intend to get them. i hear the PS3 Blue-Ray is unreal with the cable. Also, hockey is crazy on my parents HDTV. I know they like to sell you the $120 dollar cable at the stores. My friend was telling me that any decent cable is the same... I'm not sure if he's exactly qualified to give advice though regarding this issue lol.
$120?!

No way, I bought my HDMI hookup at radio shack for $29.99 and it works perfect. I see you live in Mt. Sinai... I live in Port Jefferson. Go to the radio shack off route 112, its still on sale I think

BlueShirts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:24 PM
NYRangerfn09

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812189054

works like a charm for my HD setup

NYRangerfn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerfn09 View Post
That will work fine as well...but it's still about twice as much as the cables from monoprice. I usually buy a half dozen of them at a time, as I get at least a call a month from a friend or relative who is buying a HDTV set and is in the store getting pressured to buy the $100 cable. I tell them I'll give them one for free.

Old
06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
if you have any questions regarding A/V setups go to the avsforum, pose your question their and you will pretty much get the reply broadwablues gave you. go with the cheaper monoprice cable. Monster cable is the biggest av sham in the industry. their overpriced hdmi, component, and speaker cables perform the same as the low cost cables, they just look prettier. chain retail stores like bestbuy and circuit city often push monster cables on unknowning consumers. it's actually pretty funny if you go in and they try to push the cables on you, with the knowledge that you don't need them. it's funny to see the look on their face when they find out you know better. i have purchased monoprice cables for years ever since I first started posting at the avsforum as a newbie. now I know a great deal more about A/V

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
TreeSapLlama

Audio/Video cables suffer absolutely horrendous 10000%+ markup. HDMI cables be they 20 dollars or 200 dollars will perform the same. Along a similar vain, the popular monster cables were recently compared to a coat hanger with soldered ends. Audiophiles couldn't tell the difference hehe

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:15 PM
ThirdEye

If you can afford it, I would immediately steer you towards Blue Jeans Cables. I have done business with them several times, and they make high quality stuff for pretty cheap (considering the competition). I've bought both audio and video cables from them. They are kind of a hidden secret in the audio world.

If you're interested, here's the link to their HDMI page:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm

I agree that Monster Cables suck. They are the Bose of the cable world, so don't buy into their sham. I'm sure they are not the worst cables out there, but certainly not worth their asking price.

/end rant about obscure subject

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
DarthSather99

My cable box doesn't allow for a HDMI connection. It has the Video In/Out slots. Is there an adapter that I can use that will not impede the TV quality?

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
My cable box doesn't allow for a HDMI connection. It has the Video In/Out slots. Is there an adapter that I can use that will not impede the TV quality?
what do the video in/outs look like? if your box doesn't offer HDMI it likely supports component video (3 RCA female connectors 1 each of R, G, B). On most displays you'll get pretty much the same quality picture as you would with HDMI. So definitely go with component over S-video (one round connection with pins inside) or heaven forbid composite (1 yellow RCA connection) which is garbage.

Old
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Smashley

Best Buy makes a killing off of HDMI cables... make sure you shop around.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:50 PM
The Thomas J.*

All HDMI Cables are the same, I got mine @ National Wholesale Liquidators for $15.00

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
There's 2 sets of HDMI you should look at, one is the generic 30 dollar kind. Will get you great picture etc.

Second would be the top of the line 1000 cable thats like $200 for 3 feet. I have the $30 kind in my bedroom and the good kind for my living room. There's a pretty good sized difference, though I also owned one of the middle cables for a bit and it's really not worth it unless you shell out for the best one.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:03 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Hey,

Thanks guys.
Please Please do not waste your money on expensive cables. I'm a professional A/V installer and I assure you expensive hdmi cables are a waste of money. Buy a reasonably priced cable of good quality, usually in the $30-$50 dollar range. Even the 10 dollar cables you can get online will work great, but i'd be concerned with how long these extra cheap cables will last. What you read online is correct, HDMI carries a digital signal, which unlike an analog signal which can be degraded on poor cabling, a digital signal is basically all or nothing. If your hdmi cable carries a signal, then it carries the same signal as another cable. Hope that makes sense. You can pick up an hdmi cable for your cable box and your ps3 for less than 1 monster cable.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks guys.
I just got that same TV(the 64u) in 46 inch...i bought a $5 HDMI cable online and its soo sick. Such a nice TV. PS3 looks amazing through HDMI on it.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:45 PM
KRM

Quote:

Lol.......

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Barnaby

Thanks. I believe I'll try newegg or monoprice. Finally I get to save a few bucks somewhere. It just seemed a little wrong to me spending 150 on a cable...

Old
06-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
I just got that same TV(the 64u) in 46 inch...i bought a $5 HDMI cable online and its soo sick. Such a nice TV. PS3 looks amazing through HDMI on it.
Glad to hear it. I'm in the process of moving into a condo so I'm not up and running yet... can't wait to get the TV put up on the wall. I'm waiting on my PS3... just got it from Walmart.com b/c they guve you a 100 dollar gift card. I want to get that Planet Earth Series on Blu-Ray.

Old
06-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
$120?!

No way, I bought my HDMI hookup at radio shack for $29.99 and it works perfect. I see you live in Mt. Sinai... I live in Port Jefferson. Go to the radio shack off route 112, its still on sale I think
Well... I am over there often enough... Hellooo Colliseo...

Old
06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
I will second the advice someone gave about monoprice.com above. I paid $10 for an HDMI cable from them and it has given me crystal clear viewing for over 5 years.

As others have said, as HDMI carries a digital signal, there is no difference between "quality" of cables. The only issue you will occasionally see with digital signals is pixelation, rather than other types of noise, and this is generally due to things such as precipitation interfering with a weak satellite signal.

There are very few areas in which Monster anything at all make sense over lower-priced, just-as-high-quality competitive products. Monster is very good at -marketing-, not necessarily product development.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
HDMI is a digital signal.... so "quality" doesnt make any difference in getting the signal across...

Where Monster made their name was in cables for the music world. Guitar and instrument cables and such... where the signal strength was held together much better by higher end cords.

Buy ANY HDMI cable... but buy something good for plugging your Gibson into your Mesa/Boogie =P

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Are you sure you have a HD box? Regardless, bring it in to your local cable drop off counter for a newer one with HDMI slots.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
ogie

yea when i bought my HDTV they tried to push the 100$ dollar HDMI cable on me...good try there pal. I went to amazon and got a 12$ HDMI cable and it works fine. my brother on the other hand fell for the 100$ cable pitch, and we compared the two. Guess what 10$ cable just as good.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote