HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Wheeler - A Boston Bruin on 7/1/08

Old
06-02-2008, 01:35 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500
imo that prospect park article is a FLUFF peice that doesn't provide one peice of info that makes me think it still isn't a good idea...

the fact that every ranger fan thinkings that every project, every college player, every big winger or anything else similar to jessiman is the 'next jessiman' and will be a total bust is simply stupid. so we aren't supposed to sign him cause he left school early and so did jessiman? well what about the countless other ncaa players that left school early and worked out? I don't hear nj complaining that parise left school early. wheeler leaving school early makes him the next jessiman as much as it makes him the next parise.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
hossa may not have been soft but if a player who is big as him does not wanna play physical than something is wrong.
No, there isn't. The only thing wrong is the fans who expect it.

Perhaps some players could be more effective if they played more physically, but that's a personality trait that can't just be turned on, and it's not an absolute necessity in order to be good at hockey.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No, there isn't. The only thing wrong is the fans who expect it.

Perhaps some players could be more effective if they played more physically, but that's a personality trait that can't just be turned on, and it's not an absolute necessity in order to be good at hockey.
if the coach says play the body or u sit, im sure alot of players would be more physical. what about malik he is a 6'6 giant on d, imagine if he played the body like beukeboom did.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
imo that prospect park article is a FLUFF peice that doesn't provide one peice of info that makes me think it still isn't a good idea...

the fact that every ranger fan thinkings that every project, every college player, every big winger or anything else similar to jessiman is the 'next jessiman' and will be a total bust is simply stupid. so we aren't supposed to sign him cause he left school early and so did jessiman? well what about the countless other ncaa players that left school early and worked out? I don't hear nj complaining that parise left school early. wheeler leaving school early makes him the next jessiman as much as it makes him the next parise.
I'm squarely with Jess on this one. I live in Minnesota and have seen Wheeler play on numerous occasions. He simply does not look like a player who will develop into a top 6 forward in the NHL. At this point, I'd go as far as saying not even close. What amuses me about this thread is that the great majority of people who want to sign him a) are only making that statement because he was picked 5th overall and b) they have never seen him play. With all of that said, I'd still sign him if the opportunity exists because a) big players tend to develop a little later and b) lord know I've been wrong more than once when it comes to playing scout. I just wouldn't be too excited about his chances.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Fletch

If there's room on the roster...

there is no harm taking a couple flyers on former #1 picks (or otherwise, including non-drafted players) and give them a chance to prove themselves and improve. Personally, I never thought much of Wheeler and was baffled when TGO took him a few years ago in the draft. It didn't seem to make much sense.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I'm squarely with Jess on this one. I live in Minnesota and have seen Wheeler play on numerous occasions. He simply does not look like a player who will develop into a top 6 forward in the NHL. At this point, I'd go as far as saying not even close. What amuses me about this thread is that the great majority of people who want to sign him a) are only making that statement because he was picked 5th overall and b) they have never seen him play. With all of that said, I'd still sign him if the opportunity exists because a) big players tend to develop a little later and b) lord know I've been wrong more than once when it comes to playing scout. I just wouldn't be too excited about his chances.

I've seen him play a few times also. My niece goes to school at North Dakota. To me the guy looked like a very good prospect, in the games when he played against the Souix. I thought he skates well, and has good hockey sense. While I think he was drafted a little early, to me he is still a very good prospect. But...I don't agree with the article about letting these guys choose where they play. Kind of defesats the purpose of the whole draft to me. I think they need to put in some time with the team drafted first. Just my opinion anyway.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
ogie

so my question is this: what are the chances of him signing with the rangers?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
so my question is this: what are the chances of him signing with the rangers?
If it's true that he wants to stay in Minnesota, <10%, probably 0-5%. If he's willing to go to a franchise that is developing a reputation for player development 25%+. Just a wild @$$ guess on my part.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Edge

I'm okay with signing him. But I don't have high expectations for him to become a star.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:18 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
hossa may not have been soft but if a player who is big as him does not wanna play physical than something is wrong.
Eric Daze?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:00 AM
bubba5

I remember watch the draft that year, and if i recall corectly, everyone was suprised Phx. drafted him that high.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'm okay with signing him. But I don't have high expectations for him to become a star.
i agree....the worst thing that happens is the rangers give him the limit and he gives up on hockey or goes to russia....not a big deal, they didnt waste a pick on him, thsy just gave him money which they have a lot of.....i say see what he can do, and if he doesnt pan out, its fine, however if he does even turn out to be a serviceable second liner that is a HUGE upgradeinthe system, and he could turn into a HUGE trading chip down the line.........however, in all likelihood, sather wont make a pitch for him because he and maloney are friends and he doesnt want to show him up.....but i hope he does

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Hes going to minnesota, i bet all my v-cash on it.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Vitto79

Read the Rangers wooed him yesterday buuuut so have other teams like Devils

he's 21 and a big Dude............does this mean if signed he is likely to step right in ?

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Hes going to minnesota, i bet all my v-cash on it.
Well, based on the following article, you may lose all your v-cash

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wil...d-in-the-wild/

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:06 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Well, based on the following article, you may lose all your v-cash

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wil...d-in-the-wild/
That article, plus the Post article, indicates that he wants to come out East. We are pretty much THE team to play for here in the East, so I'd say it's looking good for us.

He may not be a bona fide top 6 forward, but you can never have too many prospects in your system. Especially when we're not giving up anything to get him, except cash.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

That article, plus the Post article, indicates that he wants to come out East. We are pretty much THE team to play for here in the East, so I'd say it's looking good for us.
Actually, as much as I hate to admit it, the Pens are THE team to play for in the East.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens let Malone go and sign Wheeler as an attempt to replace him.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Wheeler is good friends with Phil Kessel. Just throwing that out there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM
NYR Viper

didnt okposo play in minnesota as well?.....

i would love to snag him for nothing more than money

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

He may not be a bona fide top 6 forward, but you can never have too many prospects in your system. Especially when we're not giving up anything to get him, except cash.
Umm... I'd love to agree with you on your first part, but unfortunately 2 of the Top 5 players in the world play in Pittsburgh (and our great society has made so many strides for equality that those 2 Penguins just happen to be women. Who'da thunk it 50 years ago?)

And what do we honestly have to lose on signing Wheeler? Callahan and Korpedo are the only "true" wingers we have locked up for next season. Avery could go (unlikely), JJ and Marty could go (possible), Dawes and Sjostrom are technically rfas (though it's highly unlikely that they leave), Shanny's not coming back for his price tag, and guys like Anisimov, Prucha, Gomez, and Drury are probably better suited at center than moving to the wing (Dubinsky is the only one of our guys that we have now that I would keep at center). So we throw the kid 2.75 million entry level deal over 3 years. If he pans out, great, we just got ourselves a top 10 draft pick for free. If he doesn't, so what life moves on. He's not an injury prone vet like Lindros or Bure (2 of the more hideous pickups Sather has made), nor would we have to trade for him (which would mean giving up quality players for him). Other than JJ, this team doesn't have a big bodied forward up front. Jessiman is a bust (face it, we should have gotten Dustin Brown), and most of our guys (Avery, Dawes, Callahan, Marty straka, sjostrom, drury, gomez, dubinsky to an extent) are a bit undersized. Sure Dubinsky is an average size, but Wheeler's a big boy. He would be very useful to this team.

So there's my long winded explanation on why we should get wheeler. He's a top 10 pick who would basically be picked up for free and probably be a somewhat solid contributer over the next 3 years.

Last edited by pmorris: 06-14-2008 at 01:31 PM.
pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:27 AM
bubba5

If we got him, it would make me feel better about the disaster pick we made with Jessimen!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:36 AM
gaglinefan

Upside/Downside

Well, we already have Backman as former #1 who is not as good as that. That said, why not sign this guy? If he wants to play for NYR all the better, last I looked we don't have this type of player in our system. All speculation (observation) about Hugh aside, I hope he develops too.
I also hope the team drafts for defense, there are lots of good guys available.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Apparently Wheeler is narrowed the list to four teams, from today's Boston Globe:

Quote:
The Bruins will find out in the next two or three days whether they will add college free agent Blake Wheeler to their stable of forwards. According to his agent, Matt Keator, Wheeler has narrowed his list to four teams, and Boston is one of them.
Quote:
Keator would not reveal the other three clubs in contention, but a story out of New York last week had both the Devils and Rangers very interested. Wheeler is from Minnesota, which could make him an interesting fit on the Wild roster. The Leafs and Canadiens could use his size.
Quote:
Wheeler is eligible to sign a two-year entry deal that limits base compensation to $875,000, although incentive bonuses could boost his pay, and cap hit, to more than $2 million.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:42 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
our buddy Eklund has Wheeler at an e3 to the Leafs

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15690

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I Eat Crow