HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYPost - "Rangers Eye Wheeler"

Old
06-12-2008, 05:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
NYPost - "Rangers Eye Wheeler"

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06122008...ler_115190.htm

Devils also in there as well.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:14 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
I think every team in the league is eyeballing the kid--if not they are not doing their jpbs

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
nyrangers23

6'4 220lbs sounds good to me. say we do get this guy, who do you think he fits in best with on a line?

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers23 View Post
6'4 220lbs sounds good to me. say we do get this guy, who do you think he fits in best with on a line?
6'4 220 lbs of non physical hockey player.

I honestly don't mind the Rangers taking a flyer on him, but he's not the power forward people want this team to acquire.

Also, I'm a little confused about Wheelers status. Is he completely an UFA now? He could sign today? I guess that'd make sense because he has never ever signed a pro contract, so he has no need to wait until July 1st. For some reason I was thinking teams weren't allowed to speak to him until then and found it strange he was talking to teams.

edit: Also interesting is that line about Jagr not speaking to Sather...but it doesn't say whether Jagr himself just hasn't spoken to Sather, or that his agent also hasn't spoken to Sather. If Sather and Jagr's agent are negotiating, no big deal. If not...I'm kind of annoyed.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:23 AM
nyrangers23

i didnt know he wasnt a physical hockey player but as long as he has some scoring capabilities and is willing to get in front of the net its worth a shot. but this is also coming from a guy who still has hope for huge specimen making the team next year

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Turambar

Even if the Rangers do somehow pick this guy up, I doubt he'd play with the big club this season.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Even if the Rangers do somehow pick this guy up, I doubt he'd play with the big club this season.
Agreed, he still needs some work.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

I honestly don't mind the Rangers taking a flyer on him, but he's not the power forward people want this team to acquire.
I guess it will come down to whether or not someone is willing to throw a speculative contract at him or not.

If he likes what he saw from his visit, likes the idea of playing with Gomez or Drury down the road, maybe he is willing to bite on an entry level offer from the Rangers.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Levitate

Eh, but the risk isn't that big, except from the 50 contract limit standpoint.

If he can't hack it in the NHL, he'll be sent to the AHL and make AHL money and not count against the cap. He has to sign a two-way, entry level contract, and he can only make so much money...so the risk is pretty limited. Worst comes to worst, he languishes in the AHL for 3 years and is then cut loose.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I know we can't sign him until July 1st, but is he still bound by the ELC? Or, since he's a free agent, can he ask for more?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Watched him in a few Gophers games over the weekend. I'm not sure if they were recorded or not, but he didn't impress me that much. For such a huge kid, he's knocked off the puck quite easily. Still, I guess it can't hurt to take a shot if we're not too close to the contract limit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:54 AM
The Thomas J.*

I'd love to get this kid.

I also would like to know what exactly is lou's hard sell pitch? Here is the contract, either ur brains or signature are going on it.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Celestial Black

It would be great if we could pull it off.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Speedtrials

Although he was probably impressed with the facilities and other things the organization showed him, I would be surprised if he did wind up signing here. There have to be other teams that have basically promised him an NHL roster spot, and I just can't see the Rangers doing that for Wheeler. It would be nice to add him to our organizational depth, but I can't see Sather going too far to get him here.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
Although he was probably impressed with the facilities and other things the organization showed him, I would be surprised if he did wind up signing here. There have to be other teams that have basically promised him an NHL roster spot, and I just can't see the Rangers doing that for Wheeler. It would be nice to add him to our organizational depth, but I can't see Sather going too far to get him here.
I agree. I'm sure he's fallen in love with the organization but I have to believe that if he didn't sign with Phoenix, he's a guy who wants it all and wants it NOW. The question is, which team has a storied franchise, is competitive, AND has an open roster slot for him. I don't think that team exists. Boston?

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I agree. I'm sure he's fallen in love with the organization but I have to believe that if he didn't sign with Phoenix, he's a guy who wants it all and wants it NOW. The question is, which team has a storied franchise, is competitive, AND has an open roster slot for him. I don't think that team exists. Boston?
I think sather would try to make a roster spot open in a minute to give Wheeler a roster spot since we r desperate for much needed size.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I think sather would try to make a roster spot open in a minute to give Wheeler a roster spot since we r desperate for much needed size.
Except it's not his call, it's Renney's. For the past couple of years Slats has been very hands of with the on-ice running of the team.

Old
06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I know we can't sign him until July 1st, but is he still bound by the ELC? Or, since he's a free agent, can he ask for more?
He is now considered a rookie under the new CBA so the most he can get is the max ELC under the new CBA.

The Rangers get him but the Coyotes fan in me is gona make me boo him every time he touches the puck at MSG.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
NYR Viper

i dont understand the problems people are having with this kid...okay, he is a big kid who needs to work on his lower body strength....can be done....so he isnt overly physical....thats fine...neither is joe thornton(and no im not saying wheeler will be as good as thornton).....having size is never a bad thing....i say tell him in a year there will be an opportunity to most likely play with one of dubinsky, drury or gomez as there winger, all it would take from is one year in the ahl learning the system and hard work and he would be towards the top of the list to make the team.....

most of the time, one year in the ahl can change a player a lot(look at anisimov)...get him working with the staff and with players of his skillset (or better skillset) and he will see he will have to work hard.....id throw the money at him, not like the rangers dont have the money

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Just posted this in another thread - he's good friends with Phil Kessel, take it for what its worth.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:34 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Just posted this in another thread - he's good friends with Phil Kessel, take it for what its worth.
i doubt that means anything. jagr and hamrlik r friends, and hamrlik did not sign here a few years ago.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Forechecker

Ok, so if this kid is still bound by the CBA's ELC (PDQ? ASAP? IIRC?), then the only thing that will make this kid sign is either a guarantee for a roster spot or at least the knowledge that he'll be a priority call up.

I just don't see many teams putting in writing the former and the latter is a complete crap shoot.

Old
06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Ok, so if this kid is still bound by the CBA's ELC (PDQ? ASAP? IIRC?), then the only thing that will make this kid sign is either a guarantee for a roster spot or at least the knowledge that he'll be a priority call up.

I just don't see many teams putting in writing the former and the latter is a complete crap shoot.
considering the rangers dont have many high-end wingers in the enitre system, and the fact he has the ability to play in MSG, in New York.....i would say the rangers might be appealing to him....also, with the center depth the rangers have in gomez, drury, dubinsky, anisimov who all look very good, if i was a young winger i would be interested in the rangers(not considering im a ranger fan)

Old
06-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
considering the rangers dont have many high-end wingers in the enitre system, and the fact he has the ability to play in MSG, in New York.....i would say the rangers might be appealing to him....also, with the center depth the rangers have in gomez, drury, dubinsky, anisimov who all look very good, if i was a young winger i would be interested in the rangers(not considering im a ranger fan)
I agree, but something about this whole thing smells bad to me. It reminds me of Lindros' tantrum when he got drafted by the Nordiques.

Old
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I agree, but something about this whole thing smells bad to me. It reminds me of Lindros' tantrum when he got drafted by the Nordiques.
ill have to take your word on that as i was too young to rememeber that

but on another note....if wheeler becomes lindros.....im a-okay with that