HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYPost - "Rangers Eye Wheeler"

Old
06-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Ok, so if this kid is still bound by the CBA's ELC (PDQ? ASAP? IIRC?), then the only thing that will make this kid sign is either a guarantee for a roster spot or at least the knowledge that he'll be a priority call up.

I just don't see many teams putting in writing the former and the latter is a complete crap shoot.
He's an idiot if he takes any NHL team at their word that they'll "guarantee him a roster spot". They don't need to do that at all and can easily send him down even if he was promised a spot. It's impossible to put it in writing, the CBA would forbid something like that.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:55 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
ill have to take your word on that as i was too young to rememeber that

but on another note....if wheeler becomes lindros.....im a-okay with that
minus the whole concussion problem thing

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
minus the whole concussion problem thing
right, but even his forst 7 years for some money would be amazing....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:04 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Ok, so if this kid is still bound by the CBA's ELC (PDQ? ASAP? IIRC?), then the only thing that will make this kid sign is either a guarantee for a roster spot or at least the knowledge that he'll be a priority call up.

I just don't see many teams putting in writing the former and the latter is a complete crap shoot.
first off we can provide him as good a chance as anyone to make the team out of camp cause right now we've basically got 5 holes/question marks in our top 6 wing spots. so we'd stand a strong chance there compared to other things...

but thats not the only factor...i'm sure he'll also consider the city he'd be living in, how good the team is (a chance to play on a playoff team vs a last place team), who he might get to play with, the quality of the facilities/how the team treats players, etc. and i think our chances are as good as anyone in those areas...

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:06 AM
NYR469

Quote:
I agree, but something about this whole thing smells bad to me. It reminds me of Lindros' tantrum when he got drafted by the Nordiques.
that comparison is completely out of left field and based on absolutely NOTHING. the ONLY similarity between lindros when he got drafted and wheeler is size. besides that there isn't a single thing the same...

a fair comparison would be rj umberger and we dropped the ball on that one too.

Old
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He's an idiot if he takes any NHL team at their word that they'll "guarantee him a roster spot". They don't need to do that at all and can easily send him down even if he was promised a spot. It's impossible to put it in writing, the CBA would forbid something like that.
no team would ever 'promise' any rookie a spot but there are a number of teams that would give him a very good chance of winning a spot out of camp. no player signs looking for a guaranteed spot but they do look for a 'fair' opportunity which you wouldn't get from a team that has 12 veteran forwards locked in place.

Old
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
no team would ever 'promise' any rookie a spot but there are a number of teams that would give him a very good chance of winning a spot out of camp. no player signs looking for a guaranteed spot but they do look for a 'fair' opportunity which you wouldn't get from a team that has 12 veteran forwards locked in place.
Didn't Dallas promise Bruunstrom a spot next season?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
– First, I’ve gotten a lot of emails inquiring about former University of Minnesota right wing Blake Wheeler’s plans. I talked to the Wild this morning, and the team did have conversations with Wheeler’s agent, Matt Keator.

However, I called Keator today, and while Wheeler hasn’t closed the door on the Wild, he has narrowed his choices down to teams that do not include the Wild.

“He loves Minnesota and loves living there, but we’re looking elsewhere because I think he wants to get a different life experience, explore a different part of the country and grow and mature and experience new things,” Keator said. “The Wild has shown plenty of interest. They’ve been great.
“But this is a special opportunity to choose where he wants to play and live. Blake has a chance to select where he’s going to play, live and work. Most guys have to wait until they’re 27, 28, 29, 30 to become free agents. This guy’s 21 years old and making this decision.”

The Phoenix Coyotes, who drafted Wheeler fifth overall in 2004, offered him the maximum entry-level contract they could under the collective bargaining agreement, but Wheeler opted to become a free agent.

While Wheeler, who led Breck to a state title in 2004, could begin talking to teams June 1, he can’t officially sign until July 1. …
http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wil...d-in-the-wild/

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Interesting. Pretty much the opposite of what just about everyone, including myself, was thinking.

My next guess would be somewhere on the west coast, unless he's looking for a metro area like New York, Boston or Detroit.

Actually, Tampa Bay might make sense. They're semi-rebuilding and would probably give him a serious chance to make the opening night roster. Florida is certainly a different experience compared to Minnesota.

Old
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Interesting. Pretty much the opposite of what just about everyone, including myself, was thinking.

My next guess would be somewhere on the west coast, unless he's looking for a metro area like New York, Boston or Detroit.

Actually, Tampa Bay might make sense. They're semi-rebuilding and would probably give him a serious chance to make the opening night roster. Florida is certainly a different experience compared to Minnesota.
What was everyone else thinking? NYC is about as different as you can get from Minnesota.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM
TomLaidlaw

You know what would be hilarious and a great way of teaching this kid a lesson. If we went out of our way to sell him on our organization and city and he signs with us. Then the next day we trade him back to Phoenix for a 7th Round Draft Pick. Technically wouldn't this be possible? He wouldn't be able to do anything about it either because he would now be under contract.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
You know what would be hilarious and a great way of teaching this kid a lesson. If we went out of our way to sell him on our organization and city and he signs with us. Then the next day we trade him back to Phoenix for a 7th Round Draft Pick. Technically wouldn't this be possible? He wouldn't be able to do anything about it either because he would now be under contract.
its possible.....i just have this feeling he will end up a ranger....just a wierd feeling

Old
06-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What was everyone else thinking? NYC is about as different as you can get from Minnesota.
Well a majority of speculation I've seen was about him wanting to play in his home state. So shutting out the Wild was something I didn't expect.

NYC is certainly different than Minnesota, thats why I listed it as a possibility.

Old
06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Sign him? Yes. Get your hopes up? No. He's going to need at least a season in the AHL and then he's no lock to ever be a top 6 forward. Watch some Minnesota tapes and you will see why. He's got a chance and I am all for bidding on younger assets but he's just not a slam dunk coming out of college. One interesting thought -- Garth Snow criticized the Minnesota coaching staff for not doing a good job developing Kyle Octopus. The Islanders GM got a lot of flack over that but if by chance he is right (hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day) maybe there's some there there.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
does anyone have a count on how many articles Brooks has titled "Rangers Eye ________"

mix it up a little

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
does anyone have a count on how many articles Brooks has titled "Rangers Eye ________"

mix it up a little
I don't think Brooks writes his own headlines.

The Post used "eyes" yesterday regarding the Yankees and the Cuban 3B who just defected.

06-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think Brooks writes his own headlines.

The Post used "eyes" yesterday regarding the Yankees and the Cuban 3B who just defected.
the point still remains then: mix it up NY Post

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
the point still remains then: mix it up NY Post
Wait, are you actually killing the post for their literary ability?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I think sather would try to make a roster spot open in a minute to give Wheeler a roster spot since we r desperate for much needed size.
Except that the Rangers have players in the minors with size who have paid their dues and are more developed than Wheeler at this point...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Except that the Rangers have players in the minors with size who have paid their dues and are more developed than Wheeler at this point...
as a 21 y/o forward with good size who is an ex first rounder that can be gotten by giving him a contract(not giving up assets), i say hell yes to another forward with size, even if he isnt going tobe ready until 23...or 24 and becomes a 4th liner...all it takes is money....kind of like girardi and he wasnt even drafted!

Old
06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
broadwayblue

yeah, other than money what does it cost us...the 50th ranked guy currently under contract?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
as a 21 y/o forward with good size who is an ex first rounder that can be gotten by giving him a contract(not giving up assets), i say hell yes to another forward with size, even if he isnt going tobe ready until 23...or 24 and becomes a 4th liner...all it takes is money....kind of like girardi and he wasnt even drafted!
Check what my post was in reply to... I never argued against trying to sign him, I was objecting to RCallahan's assertion that Sather would clear a roster spot for him on the big club this year because "we need size".

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
According to Zipay, Wheeler's leaning towards Chicago:

Quote:
Although former first-round prospect Blake Wheeler, who rejected a Coyotes contract, toured the training center in Westchester and the Devils facilities in Newark, we're hearing the 21-year-old forward, a Minnesota native, wants to play in the midwest, possibly Chicago, which is building a very good young team.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:47 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

im calling him a bust...i dont like big softies

poeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
im calling him a bust...i dont like big softies
An evaluator of NHL talent you are not. This obsession with bigger players having to be be ultra-physical is a marvel.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote