HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9 millions to spend? (help with next year salaries)

Old
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
That's what I was gonna say. We DON'T have 9, or 10, or 14 millions to spend this summer. It's less than that. If we want to make a push for a UFA, we can go for it, but Gainey will have to think further to be sure to keep everyone for the year after. We need to keep the core and build from there, and the core start with Higgins, Komisarek, the Kost brothers and Plekanec. Markov is alright for another 3 seasons so we're ok with him.
Kovalev's and Koivu's contracts will be up..that's about 10M of free space right there. On top of having the NHL cap raise once again, And knowing Gainey, he likes to keep a few millions freed up in case, so add those as well. That can possibly make another 7-8M..which would bring us close to 18M already.

Plekanec and Higgins have to keep progressing. If they don't they wont get a huge raise.
It'll also be interesting to see who we get via the UFA market. One thing's for sure. We won't win any cup with our current top6 Fowards and our weakest position is at center. So i don't expect Koivu and Plekanec to be our #1 and #2 centers for very long (unless Pleky adds 15-20lbs of muscle)

We have more than enough room to sign a big name. But I have a feeling BG will be making some trades as well.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Kovalev's and Koivu's contracts will be up..that's about 10M of free space right there. On top of having the NHL cap raise once again, And knowing Gainey, he likes to keep a few millions freed up in case, so add those as well. That can possibly make another 7-8M..which would bring us close to 18M already.

Plekanec and Higgins have to keep progressing. If they don't they wont get a huge raise.
It'll also be interesting to see who we get via the UFA market. One thing's for sure. We won't win any cup with our current top6 Fowards and our weakest position is at center. So i don't expect Koivu and Plekanec to be our #1 and #2 centers for very long (unless Pleky adds 15-20lbs of muscle)

We have more than enough room to sign a big name. But I have a feeling BG will be making some trades as well.
Yes, Koivu and Kovalev will run out their contracts, but that leaves big holes to fill that likely can't be done just by giving our RFA's and Komi raises. I feel we do have room to spend $8M or whatnot on a player this summer, but it means big changes next summer to the make-up of the team.

As for the comment about Koivu and Plekanec being too small to be our top 2 centers, the team that just won the cup did so with these 2 guys:
Datsyuk - 5'11", 192
Filppula - 5'11", 174

I think it can be done if you give them big guys (Franzen, Holmstrom...) to play on their wings.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
If we only have 12-14mil to spend, Hossa (if he ccomes here) would ask for 8, Mats would ask for 6-8. Thats almost 16million.

Hossa is going to be the big fish on Gainey's plate, and if not Hossa then Mats, both will ask for a huge sum. Only maybe 3-4 pplayers out of the UFAs can bring us up to that level everyone is talking about.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX View Post
Gillet said a few years ago that he needed the habs to go atleast to the stanley cup finals to make profit
Gillet can say whatever he wants, if the Habs don't make any profit unless reaching the Cup, then there isn't one team in the league that makes any profit.
To be quite honest, I don't know one business man that would agree to keep such a huge corporation if it didn't make any profit off of it.

Maybe he said that back in the days just after purchasing it, seeing as the habs weren't doing as good.

But now, with the Bell Center packed every game, with all the money getting from jerseys,,flags..etc.. You can be sure Gillet is making some money.

Old
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Yes, Koivu and Kovalev will run out their contracts, but that leaves big holes to fill that likely can't be done just by giving our RFA's and Komi raises. I feel we do have room to spend $8M or whatnot on a player this summer, but it means big changes next summer to the make-up of the team.

As for the comment about Koivu and Plekanec being too small to be our top 2 centers, the team that just won the cup did so with these 2 guys:
Datsyuk - 5'11", 192
Filppula - 5'11", 174

I think it can be done if you give them big guys (Franzen, Holmstrom...) to play on their wings.
Zetterberg played center quite often.
Datsyuk lead the NHL POs for Hits. I guess the guy we can compare to Datsyuk is S.Kost, that isn't scared to hit or even drop the gloves and is still very skilled. But Koivu and PLeky are not even close to his game.

Old
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
AK - he should be in the $2 million range. - No way he signs that cheap.... he's going to wait for an offer sheet than and will get 3.5 to 5.

Gorges - You are close, but i would think between $1-1.2 million - Yes

Streit - I don't see us giving him a penny more than $2.5. If he walks, he walks. - He walks then.... I can't see him beeing worth 6 million a year (like some homepages stated) but he will easily get 3.5 to 4. For 2.5 he'll laugh in Bob's face.
Well not sure that i completely agree with your numbers, but i guess we will know soon enough.

Personally if i'm Gainey i laugh in Streit's agents face if he asks for that type of money...he was a real nice PP point producer for us this season, but no way can we pay a 4th line winger (or bottom pair dman) that kind of money.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
LeMAD

AKost will get at least $4M and Streit $3.5M if he signes here. And no big name UFA will sign for 1 year, so we don't have that much cap room space considering the players we have to sign next year.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Gillet said a few years ago that he needed the habs to go atleast to the stanley cup finals to make profit
Gillett doesn't make any profits with the Habs, but he makes a huge one with the Bell Centre.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Joe Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
You are talking nickels and dimes....but overall we have roughly...given the slight adjustments...around 14.2 million of caproom this summer
Wish I could play with these kind of nickles and dimes.I agree with most of your numbers , the trouble is you calculator is broke.Add up the the forwards and you are
2 million short.You can buy out Dandenault but you'll need another spare forward.You
only have 6 defensemen listed, so add another D.Factor in the RFA raises for Gorges
and O'Byrne.That leaves us in the 11-12 million range for caproom.

But Gainey has said he would like to tie up Komisarek long term.He hasn't spent to the cap since the lockout - budget restraints or leaving a buffer for the trade
deadline and injuries throughout the year? My guess is that leaves us in the range
of 7-8 million to spend on freeagent(s).

All speculation at this point - but a great time waster.

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:41 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Gillett doesn't make any profits with the Habs, but he makes a huge one with the Bell Centre.
I'm sure he's making a lot of profits with the Habs too. He said that the Habs weren't making a profit after the lockout because the Canadian dollar was so low and all his Salaries were paid in American dollars. Now that the two dollars are virtually on par with each other, it makes a HUGE difference.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Back in 2001 he probably did. But with the increase in revenue due to our stronger dollar, a salary cap and revenue salaring...Montreal is one of the wealthy teams in the league

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lamb View Post
Wish I could play with these kind of nickles and dimes.I agree with most of your numbers , the trouble is you calculator is broke.Add up the the forwards and you are
2 million short.You can buy out Dandenault but you'll need another spare forward.You
only have 6 defensemen listed, so add another D.Factor in the RFA raises for Gorges
and O'Byrne.That leaves us in the 11-12 million range for caproom.

But Gainey has said he would like to tie up Komisarek long term.He hasn't spent to the cap since the lockout - budget restraints or leaving a buffer for the trade
deadline and injuries throughout the year? My guess is that leaves us in the range
of 7-8 million to spend on freeagent(s).

All speculation at this point - but a great time waster.
I already added AK's 2 in...we have around 14 million to play with if Gainey goes to the max next season. Komi is signed for next season..his next contract has no bearing on our '08-09 salary cap.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Pascal

Quote:
From ticket sales alone maybe, and that was before the dollar went up 30%+ and before the lockout.

The NHL owners leave a lot of stuff out of their "numbers", including concession stands, parking, licensing and merchandising, etc... And for owners who own their arena like Gillett, they make even more money on renting the place for shows.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oh..Sorry I was quoting Hossa

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:12 PM
znk

Quote:
That was when the Canadian dollar was somewhere arround $0.80 US.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Brett38

I think Sudin will want a two year 15.5-16million dollar contract. He will want 8.5mill or higher for one year. Can Montreal do this? Detroit? Toronto?

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
AKost will get at least $4M and Streit $3.5M if he signes here. And no big name UFA will sign for 1 year, so we don't have that much cap room space considering the players we have to sign next year.
No way A Kost get 4M.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialSeb View Post
Gillett probably would like to start making a profit.
He said that before the lock-out, I think, when Canadian money worth 0,6US$. With our $ on par, he probably makes profit before the end of regular season. The Habs are more popular then that time, more sales of shirt, etc. and bigger TV contract. More fans gives them more money from sponsor. I don't matters about Gillett make money, but I really don't think he get some kind of financial problems.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
He said that before the lock-out, I think, when Canadian money worth 0,6US$. With our $ on par, he probably makes profit before the end of regular season. The Habs are more popular then that time, more sales of shirt, etc. and bigger TV contract. More fans gives them more money from sponsor. I don't matters about Gillett make money, but I really don't think he get some kind of financial problems.
He makes his money with Gillette Entertainment, the Bell Center is always sold out. And now with the parity of the dollar you can bet he's making money with the hockey team as well.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote