HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Jagr offered $12,000,000 by Dynamo Moscow

Old
06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Den

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I think Den went a little overboard when he said that a Euro's kid interest in SC borderlines on zero
When a kid grows up in Europe (can be really sure about Finland and Switzerland though), his example is some kind of instance of international play, role model - some kind of great NT player. So I'd say his interest in winning the SC is rather insignificant. It's later, and if there is an NHL potential, and if he follows the NHL, that this can become a desire. And than everything you said about the NT applies.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Levitate

Most guys drafted these days follow the NHL and have NHL players as idols.

Not that playing for their country internationally isn't more important, I think you just might be understating interest in the NHL a bit.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Most guys drafted these days follow the NHL and have NHL players as idols.

Not that playing for their country internationally isn't more important, I think you just might be understating interest in the NHL a bit.
i have a cousin from Prague. He says alot of the people their are giant czech(i dont know the name of the league) fans but the kids(like 8-17) all follow the NHL

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I think Den went a little overboard when he said that a Euro's kid interest in SC borderlines on zero. The interest is certainly there. But to represent the country and to be a World Champion or an Olympic Champion as a member of the national team - that is truly special. It is of greater importance than etching your name on the Stanley Cup. It's nice to have your name on the Cup. But to have a gold medal of a Champion, to be a national hero (the whole team is)... speechless.
I dont doubt that a kid dreams of winning the Gold, but we were talking about the Euro "leagues" as compared to the NHL. The world tournaments are for national pride, not day to day professional sportsmanship/business.

To be at the TOP of the professional hockey benchmark, players all over the world know its still the NHL. That's where the "majority " of the best come to try to beat the best given the opportunity.

$$$$ is a factor but not the only factor. You think Ovechkin, Malkin, Lids, Alfie etc etc couldnt get paid more back in Europe?

I'm sure they could, but they play in the NHL.

How excited was the Locomotiv fanbase to get Yashin? Did they think they stole an elite player from the NHL?

I think Jagr , even at 36 is a much different story. Might even be the kind of elite player with some game left to set a precedent.

06-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I dont doubt that a kid dreams of winning the Gold, but we were talking about the Euro "leagues" as compared to the NHL. The world tournaments are for national pride, not day to day professional sportsmanship/business.

To be at the TOP of the professional hockey benchmark, players all over the world know its still the NHL. That's where the "majority " of the best come to try to beat the best given the opportunity.

$$$$ is a factor but not the only factor. You think Ovechkin, Malkin, Lids, Alfie etc etc couldnt get paid more back in Europe?

I'm sure they could, but they play in the NHL.

How excited was the Locomotiv fanbase to get Yashin? Did they think they stole an elite player from the NHL?

I think Jagr , even at 36 is a much different story. Might even be the kind of elite player with some game left to set a precedent.
You have a good point about pro-hockey leagues. This is where NHL has the advantage over KHL - tradition and history. KHL has some great rivalries (like the aforementioned CSKA-Dynamo), but it's still a brand new league spread over former Soviet Union. However, if pro teams from Europe would join the league, it could draw national interest and national pride would get involved again. Imagine in the expanded KHL finals: Frolunda vs Dynamo Riga. It's not going to be just that, it's going to be Sweden vs Latvia at the club level. Who ever is going to bring a KHL cup back is going to be treated as a national hero.

About the money. Ovechkin and Malkin could get paid more in Russia, but the rest of the Europeans get paid more in NHL.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Levitate

Quote:
You have a good point about pro-hockey leagues. This is where NHL has the advantage over KHL - tradition and history. KHL has some great rivalries (like the aforementioned CSKA-Dynamo), but it's still a brand new league spread over former Soviet Union. However, if pro teams from Europe would join the league, it could draw national interest and national pride would get involved again. Imagine in the expanded KHL finals: Frolunda vs Dynamo Riga. It's not going to be just that, it's going to be Sweden vs Latvia at the club level. Who ever is going to bring a KHL cup back is going to be treated as a national hero.
Or you might have to worry about it cheapening the national pride angle. There's already the Olympics, and World Championships, and several other international tournaments during the year if I'm not mistaken...is another tournament really going to be that much more of a draw?

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Or you might have to worry about it cheapening the national pride angle. There's already the Olympics, and World Championships, and several other international tournaments during the year if I'm not mistaken...is another tournament really going to be that much more of a draw?
Out of annual events, the World Championship garners the most interest and is the most important event in the hockey world outside of NA. Of course, there's Olympics, but it's only once every 4 years. National pride is not a subject to inflation, especially concerning something as novel and original as KHL. It adds a new wrinkle and another reason to feel proud, except now - on the pro-league level.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Den

Quote:
You have a good point about pro-hockey leagues. This is where NHL has the advantage over KHL - tradition and history. KHL has some great rivalries (like the aforementioned CSKA-Dynamo), but it's still a brand new league spread over former Soviet Union.
I don't think this is correct. After all this is a continuation of the Soviet league which had a bunch of rivalries, and certainly a tradition. And there are new ones: AOmsk-DynamoM, AOmsk-Magnitka.

Last edited by Den: 06-12-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Here is a short quote from this years top European in the draft

Quote:
``I really like what Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk have done for hockey,’’ the English-speaking Filatov told NHL.com. ``It’s so great to see those guys put on a show like that. There’s a difference in celebrations in Russia and in the NHL. There’s not as much excitement in Russia, but in the NHL, players and fans get really happy and that’s something I want to be a part of.’’

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?...ticleid=365484

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote