Pirate Fans: Turn Your Back on Raul

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Spooner

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Spooner
Pirate Fans: Turn Your Back on Raul

Raul Mondesi turned his back on the Pirates organization. He didn't demand a trade like any normal Clubhouse Cancer, he instead took the more direct route and faked "personal problems," flew off to home, and had the Pirates terminate his contract.

Maybe it was being under .500. Maybe it was the obscurity of the team, constantly being snubbed by ESPN. Maybe it was striking out to push Roger Clemens farther up the K list. But whatever the cause, the effect is obvious.

After leaving the Pirates, it only took his replacement Daryle Ward a few games to match his HR and RBI totals. He even hit for the cycle. It's possible the best thing Mondesi did for this team was leaving it.

But that doesn't change the fact that what he did was an insult to the Pirates. He didn't like his contract from the minute he signed it, and once he found a way, he got out of it. Then signed with a contender. What he did is not only extremely disrespectful, it also sets precedent for other players. What if Jose Mesa decided he was too good for the Pirates? What if Jack Wilson decided his bat would be put to better use on a contender? Of course they didn't leave, they're not the person Raul Mondesi is, but the point is that they could if they very well wanted to.

Raul screwed us over. He turned his back on us. But luckily for us, we have Interleague. On June 15-17 Mondesi will return to PNC Park with his new best friends the Angels. When he comes up to bat, don't boo. Don't hiss, don't throw anything. Just stand up and turn your back to him. From the time he steps up to the plate until his at-bat is over, keep your back facing the field. Let him know how much he is despised in the burgh for what he did. So bad, we don't even want to see his face.

Pass this on to any Pirate fans and message boards you know, and keep it in mind if you attend any games against the Pirates.

Last edited by Spooner: 05-29-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old
05-29-2004, 05:44 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
I bet that would suck if he hit a foul ball in the stands when everyone in the place turned their back to him...

Old
05-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Spooner

Well you look when he his the ball... I fgured that much was assumed... gotta protect your skull.

Old
05-29-2004, 06:28 PM
devildan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner
Well you look when he his the ball... I fgured that much was assumed... gotta protect your skull.
Yeah, he faked personal problems . The man is being forced to pay some guy close to 1 mil by the domminican government. Sounds like legit problems to me.

Old
05-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Spooner

He said he had to go home to be with his family. Said he would need to be out all year. Pirates cut his contract and no longer than 2 weeks later he signs withy the Angels.

I'd say that's faking it.

Old
05-29-2004, 06:38 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner
He said he had to go home to be with his family. Said he would need to be out all year. Pirates cut his contract and no longer than 2 weeks later he signs withy the Angels.

I'd say that's faking it.
Dude, the Dominican Government is forcing him to pay a crapload of money to somebody. His problems are real.

Where Mondesi went wrong, is using those problems and adding a complete lie (that he would need all year away from the game) in order to get his contract with the Pirates ripped up.

Old
05-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Spooner

Well yeah, of course the problem is real, I'm not doubting that. BUt he either made up his fmaily problems or grossly exaggerated them to get out of his contract.

When asked recently about the Pirates, Mondesi's comment:
"Next question."

Old
05-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Unholy Diver

600 grand to him isnt a whole lot of money, he made 13 million last season alone

and as far as turning my back on him I say the hell with that Im gonna throw a battery at him

Closed Thread