HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wheeler to the Bruins

View Poll Results: What do you think?
never want him to signs in Montreal....move on 12 12.90%
Would love it but it would never happen 40 43.01%
Could be signed and he makes the team next year 16 17.20%
Could be signed and will not make the team next year 30 32.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Possible or not? Blake Wheeler has a Habs

This Kid is big right hand shot winger! Only 21
Attitude reaks from this guy but is it something other then that?
Also, let's say he signs with the Habs, could he make the team and have an impact?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
David_99

28 other teams probably have the same idea. At least with Trotter, we had an "in" with him knowing Ryan White.

We still don't know the reason for him leaving Phoenix. If it was some sort of home sickness, he'd probably rather sign in or near Minnesota.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
I'd be happy if the Habs signed him but I also won't care once it doesn't happen.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I'd like to sign him, but I doubt it happens. And if we did, I'd say he'd have the best shot of making the team of any rookie outside of Chipchura. So somewhere slightly ahead of Grabovski/D'Agostini. Even if only cause we could use his size.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I'd like to sign him, but I doubt it happens. And if we did, I'd say he'd have the best shot of making the team of any rookie outside of Chipchura. So somewhere slightly ahead of Grabovski/D'Agostini. Even if only cause we could use his size.
We have a few American and maybe, just maybe their could be a ggood connection

Old
06-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Garo

I don't want him.

Don't care how good he is, that little stunt was ridiculous.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
28 other teams probably have the same idea. At least with Trotter, we had an "in" with him knowing Ryan White.

We still don't know the reason for him leaving Phoenix. If it was some sort of home sickness, he'd probably rather sign in or near Minnesota.
Fischer was his teammate with the U of M so we possibly do have an "in". But like what was said, I won't lose any sleep if we don't sign him and if we do sign him then, that's great.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
GNick42

I would not touch Wheeler...given it will take entry level max money and don't think he is close to NHL ready. But going by what I've read....and the money offered the Swede in similar situation....I think we will throw a big contract his way. No sure if he wants to come here thou

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
He's the man and he would instantly make the habs. He would become a fan favorite very fast with his speed and size.

I would be thrilled if gainey could pull this out.

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:59 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
Also, let's say he signs with the Habs, could he make the team and have an impact?
We already Have Grabs the cry baby to worry about, as much of a talented 1st liner he is, I duno..

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

It's in his best interest to sign a with a team where he has the best shot of making the NHL next season. Frankly, I'm not sure why he didn't sign with Phoenix, but if he doesn't sign with Minnesota (home town team) then he'll go wherever he can make the NHL quickly. Montreal likely isn't that place, since even as-is, we don't have enough spots in Hamilton for all our prospects unless we put an all-prospect team on the ice.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Roulin

If worries about Wheeler's attitude come from him not signing with the Yotes, I think they are overblown. I know that if my agent told me that because of a quirk in my birth year/when I started college/how long I stayed in college, I had the option of becoming a free agent or giving my rights to Phoenix until I became unrestricted, I would go for free agency. Why pass up the chance to play for your hometown team, or in your favourite city, or with a winner?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I checked both of the top two options, because my response actually sits somewhere in the middle.

I would be generally pleased for the Habs to sign any good prospect, and I think Wheeler is a good prospect. I wouldn't say I'd "love it", though. But at the same time, I can only believe that his reasons for not signing with Phoenix have to make it highly improbable that Montreal would be an option, basically that it "would never happen". There's a whole previous thread discussing those issues.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Roulin

“He loves Minnesota and loves living there, but we’re looking elsewhere because I think he wants to get a different life experience, explore a different part of the country and grow and mature and experience new things...”
http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wil...d-in-the-wild/

If taken literally, this means he will not be signing with the Wild or any Canadian team.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
If taken literally, this means he will not be signing with the Wild or any Canadian team.
Yeah, that would probably mean he'll sign with Phoenix.

Err, wait a minute...

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:10 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I would think the Habs would be interested in signing him, he'd be a solid addition to our forward prospects, plus he was playing center this year so perhaps he will stay at that position, which would give us a skilled center with size and speed. Then again I wouldn't go overboard for him, he's a solid prospect imo but I'm sure most teams would want to add a solid prospect for free.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Habitants

i think florida or NYR will sign him, just a feeling. but ill take a pass on him

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
otto bond

Quote:
If worries about Wheeler's attitude come from him not signing with the Yotes, I think they are overblown. I know that if my agent told me that because of a quirk in my birth year/when I started college/how long I stayed in college, I had the option of becoming a free agent or giving my rights to Phoenix until I became unrestricted, I would go for free agency. Why pass up the chance to play for your hometown team, or in your favourite city, or with a winner?
I was looking around the same line. I put myself in his shoes for a sec and tough....free agent at 21..hummm
Risky and ballsy...I almost like is attitude. well I don't know him personaly so what the heck.
Max salaries will be needed so I'm all for signing him.

Would Latendress become a expendable? Personally I would keep the two.
Lats has better checking ability and maybe softer hand and Wheeler better speed and could still improve his checking skills.

Old
06-13-2008, 05:01 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
“He loves Minnesota and loves living there, but we’re looking elsewhere because I think he wants to get a different life experience, explore a different part of the country and grow and mature and experience new things...
http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wil...d-in-the-wild/

He would get a very different life in Montreal ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Uwey

I can see the all-America-Canadiens line(someday), Wheeler(6'5", 220lbs) centering Wyman(6'2", 215lbs) & Pacioretty (6'2", 205lbs).

That would be nice eh???

All great skaters too!!!

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Probe his mind first.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
It's in his best interest to sign a with a team where he has the best shot of making the NHL next season. Frankly, I'm not sure why he didn't sign with Phoenix, but if he doesn't sign with Minnesota (home town team) then he'll go wherever he can make the NHL quickly. Montreal likely isn't that place, since even as-is, we don't have enough spots in Hamilton for all our prospects unless we put an all-prospect team on the ice.
Well, I'm not sure about that. There's 4 centers: Koivu, Plekanec, Chipchura and Lapierre. Neither of the bottom two have a guaranteed starting job.

There's at least one spot in the top 9 on the after Higgins, A + SKostitsyn, Kovalev, and Latendresse. Latendresse is not a guaranteed top 9 winger.

I actually see quite a few potential spots assuming Smolinski, Dandenault, Streit and Ryder are gone. There's basically D'Agostini and Grabovski, maybe Stewart for a 4th line role. I think Wheeler would hold his own against that group in a training camp competition.

Also, given that the Habs went after Brunnstrom pretty aggressively, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with Wheeler, who's in a sort of similar position. The pursuit of Brunnstrom tells me that Habs management thinks that it could use some near NHL-ready depth, as they wouldn't have even been considered in the Brunnstrom sweepstakes unless they could credibly say that they had potential openings in the top 9.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
has a Habs?

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Is he that good? I was comparing his NCAA stats to Pacioretty's and Pacioretty's are much better. Despite being younger and a rookie I think Max is the better player right now.

I would not say no though.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:23 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Is he that good? I was comparing his NCAA stats to Pacioretty's and Pacioretty's are much better. Despite being younger and a rookie I think Max is the better player right now.

I would not say no though.
I would much rather have Pacioretty, but Pac is also our top prospect. Adding a solid prospect like Wheeler for free, while also filling a couple of holes, as he would be a big center prospect with good speed and hands plus add another forward prospect since we are a little low on forward prospects after Pac, Maxwell, White, Chipchura, D'Agostini, etc... it can't hurt to add him since it only costs money.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote