HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

An interesting idea for our D

Old
06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
dbhislife

vCash: 500
An interesting idea for our D

so I just thought of something interesting....Mike Green

Rumors has it that he and the Caps are having problems coming to a deal, and he is going to test the world of offer sheets on July 1st before making his decision. This entire time I have been against a big-time puck moving D-man, because I dont think its our biggest problem, but I wonder if throwing 5 million Greens way is just too good to pass up. That would mean we lose our next two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Who would go for that to land another young franchise D-man, this time an offensive puck-moving one?

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
could we afford him when we have signed bouwmeester?

Jeff Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Green's had one good season. It was a great season, but $5 Million is a lot to give a guy for one good season. I know he's young and most likely keep on improving, but it's a little too much money, and the draft picks hurt the situation.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
All that for a guy who has had one good year? I'll pass!

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
dbhislife

well see here is the thing. We have the money to sign one big name player (money-wise) this offseason. I vote that be a winger, or at least till now. Go look at the puck movin D-thread and someone crunched the numbers to find we can afford one 4-6 mill guy....I seriously think Mike Green should be near the top of that list if we insist on going with a D-man....if these rumors are true

Old
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
dbhislife

well then, if there is agreement, what about less money. There has yet to be a report on what the Caps are offering....my main pt is who do people think we are going to land (outside of Campbell who I dont think if coming and maybe Redden) that would be money better spent

Old
06-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I would throw the money at him long term, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the picks.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
PanthersRule96

Green is not that good defensively. He's a stud offensively and would be great, but it's just not happening. Washington will get him signed, don't worry. It's like when people speculate about Malkin or about Bouwmeester a couple of years ago.
Definitely not worth the pics, and he's not a "franchise" dman. He's going to be a great offensive dman and allstar but not a Norris winner IMO.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Washington has plenty of money to sign him. The deal will get done. They have a pretty sick offensive core in Washington. Probably going to be the best team in the SE for the next few years.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

To much money thrown at a guy who had one good year. Also, I would rather sign a puck-moving defensman in free agency and keep our picks.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
And I don't see Martin as the type of guy that will put out offer sheets, to anyone really. I mean it's legal and all, but it's still viewed as shady.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
And I don't see Martin as the type of guy that will put out offer sheets, to anyone really. I mean it's legal and all, but it's still viewed as shady.

-ghoste
It's also a horrible mismanagement of assets. Unless, of course, the guy you're signing is a Crosby or Ovechkin type talent. Besides that, 4 first round picks isn't worth it for hardly anyone.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:55 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
It's also a horrible mismanagement of assets. Unless, of course, the guy you're signing is a Crosby or Ovechkin type talent. Besides that, 4 first round picks isn't worth it for hardly anyone.
see this is where people don't seem to get the system. WE wouldn't lose 4 1st round picks unless we sign him for more then 6 million (it might be 6.5). I would never advocate that, but the price I started this thread with (and most everyone has said to go lower) would lose us 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd...which I for one think a young stud like Green is worth