Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

ECHL Expanding?

Old
02-18-2008, 09:05 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
ECHL Expanding?

Just wondering if there was to be a Canadian team even though i know its not going to happen but if it did what division or conference would they put into?

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:17 PM
TheCinBin

Send a message via AIM to TheCinBin
See below posts for correct info! I'm an idiot.

Last edited by TheCinBin: 02-18-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: correcting mistake
TheCinBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:28 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

I know it wont happen but say a team were to come to Alberta or Ontario or something which division is the closest to Alberta or even Ontario Canada

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Jacobeam Mugatu

Quote:
Actually there is going to be a Canadian ECHL team, starting play next year. The Ontario Reign. All that has been announced so far is the affiliation and arena. Their arena is still in the works but early/projected photos looks great and was done by the same architect that did the Staples Center in LA. It is going to hold 11,000.

http://www.ontarioprohockey.com/
Quote:
3633 East Inland Empire Boulevard
Suite 575
Ontario, California 91764
(909) 941-PUCK
(909) 941- 7897 (fax)

Jacobeam Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:04 PM
MinorHockeyFan

First off the team that will be in Ontario next year will be in Ontario California not Ontario Canada.

Second there is a team in the ECHL that is already in Canada the Victoria Salmon Kings in British Columbia.

MinorHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

The ECHL is also rumored to be heading to Abbottsford BC when they finish their new 7,000 seat arena.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 08:08 PM
solipsta

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky born Pilot View Post
The ECHL is also rumored to be heading to Abbottsford BC when they finish their new 7,000 seat arena.
The stadium is coming along nicely. However, there has been NO word of a team coming here for quite a while now. There was even a big shindig to celebrate how well it's coming along...and still, no word of a team in the works. This city is run by idiots...

solipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Sleeper

Well rumour has it that if the Canucks organization gets their way, their AHL farm team will be moved from Winnipeg to Victoria. The Salmon Kings will then apparently relocate to Abbotsford.

Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 08:08 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Well rumour has it that if the Canucks organization gets their way, their AHL farm team will be moved from Winnipeg to Victoria. The Salmon Kings will then apparently relocate to Abbotsford.
I do not believe that Vancouver owns an AHL franchise and simply has an affiliation agreement in place with Manitoba. That said Vancouver would need to purchase a franchise. The only inactive AHL franchise is owned by Edmonton and I can't see them selling their franchise to a divisional rival.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Can't see it happening unless it's in the context of the earlier-discussed (on the AHL board) "West Coast Solution", which is pretty clearly a couple of years away, if it's ever -allowed- to happen.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Higgy4

Toledo will once again have a ECHL franchise starting in 09-10. I dont know if this is really "expansion" though.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Nope, it's an inactive team becoming active again. Much like Texas and Mississippi after the hurricanes.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
solipsta

Quote:
Anymore word on this?

Anyways, that seems backwards, as Victoria has a much smaller population (even in surrounding areas) than Abbotsford. They would draw from around 300,000 or so while we could draw from 1 mil+, if not more.

Old
05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

I still maintain that there cannot be any West Coast AHL franchises until and unless there is a coordinated 4-6 team move, no matter what "the Canucks organization's way" is. Now, Victoria, Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Ontario, and San Diego as an AHL division, maybe. But Victoria alone would be financial suicide.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
nosl

Ihl

To get AHL-level Hockey (we'll say AAA Hockey), there needs to be an IHL-like league to get established (similar to the league that run until 2001).

That way, you could sway a San Antonio, Houston & Austin to jump ship to a West Coast AAA Hockey League. Victoria, Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Ontario, and San Diego.

That leaves Alaska all alone in the ECHL so I would imagine they would jump ship as well.

The ECHL should attract some of the Eastern Clubs of the Central League (mainly Youngstown). The Central league should adopt the western based ECHL teams.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Sleeper

Forget what I said about the Salmon Kings moving to Abbotsford. The Canucks and the S-Kings plan to have the current Victoria franchise eventually move into the AHL, becoming Vancouver's affiliate. This is simply what both organizations want and there's no saying whether it will actually occur, nor if it does indeed happen will it be something that can take place right away.

Quote:
?Anyways, that seems backwards, as Victoria has a much smaller population (even in surrounding areas) than Abbotsford. They would draw from around 300,000 or so while we could draw from 1 mil+, if not more.
Bigger than Victoria? How do you suppose? Even if you combined Abbotsford with Langley and Chilliwack, you still wouldn't have a population larger than Greater Victoria, let alone 1 mill.+. I can only assume you believe that people from all over Greater Vancouver are going to drive out to Abbotsford to watch the AHL, in which case you're sorely mistaken.

Last edited by Sleeper: 05-22-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
solipsta

Quote:
Bigger than Victoria? How do you suppose? Even if you combined Abbotsford with Langley and Chilliwack, you still wouldn't have a population larger than Greater Victoria, let alone 1 mill.+. I can only assume you believe that people from all over Greater Vancouver are going to drive out to Abbotsford to watch the AHL, in which case you're sorely mistaken.
If it's an unaffiliated AHL team, I would agree with you.

However, if the AHL team were the farm team for the Canucks, I think a lot of people would. They might not come from over the bridge very much (some definitely would), but you'd see a lot from Surrey, Maple Ridge and Langley coming out.