HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber, Suter, or Hamhuis?

Old
06-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Cheap Seats

vCash: 500
Weber, Suter, or Hamhuis?

Hey everyone, I come in peace!

I was wondering how you value these three defensemen. It seems like a lot of the trades that float around involve someone from the Preds, so I was curious as to what YOU thought of them. If anyone would know their positives/negatives, it would be you guys....

If you had to trade one of these guys, which one would it be? I know all of them are young, have potential, and are alreayd at the NHL level. But all things considered (contract status, style of play, etc), if you had to trade one, which would be ok with trading?

Again, I'm just curious as to what you guys think. From an outsiders perspective, it seems like it would go: Weber, then Suter, then Hamhuis. However, I know that Weber and Suter are RFA. How far apart are you guys from a deal with either of them? Another thread said that Weber was asking for $5M, and Suter was asking for $3.2.... think either of those will get done??

Thanks for any thoughts!!!

Cheap Seats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The 2 Canadians

Suter

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:44 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupB4IDie View Post

I was wondering how you value these three defensemen. It seems like a lot of the trades that float around involve someone from the Preds, so I was curious as to what YOU thought of them. If anyone would know their positives/negatives, it would be you guys....

If you had to trade one of these guys, which one would it be? I know all of them are young, have potential, and are alreayd at the NHL level. But all things considered (contract status, style of play, etc), if you had to trade one, which would be ok with trading?

Again, I'm just curious as to what you guys think. From an outsiders perspective, it seems like it would go: Weber, then Suter, then Hamhuis. However, I know that Weber and Suter are RFA. How far apart are you guys from a deal with either of them? Another thread said that Weber was asking for $5M, and Suter was asking for $3.2.... think either of those will get done??

Suter seems to be the most likely to be dealt if there is anyone of these guys dealt at all. We also have Klein and Koistenin who could potentially be traded instead of these guys. Suter is a good skating two - way defenseman. Weber has the potential of a 5 ton weight tied to a fraying rope hanging over a seesaw with a chihuahua on the other end. Hamhuis is currently our best defenseman. So there is no way anyone is getting Weber or Hamhuis without a massive overpayment.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Cheap Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Suter seems to be the most likely to be dealt if there is anyone of these guys dealt at all. We also have Klein and Koistenin who could potentially be traded instead of these guys. Suter is a good skating two - way defenseman. Weber has the potential of a 5 ton weight tied to a fraying rope hanging over a seesaw with a chihuahua on the other end. Hamhuis is currently our best defenseman. So there is no way anyone is getting Weber or Hamhuis without a massive overpayment.
Good to know! Yeah, a healthy Weber is a monster. It's actually good to see your opinion on Hamhuis. Everytime i see the Preds play, I'm always impressed with his game. All in all, it seems like you guys are STACKED at the blueline. I'm jealous....

Cheap Seats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:43 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Good to know! Yeah, a healthy Weber is a monster. It's actually good to see your opinion on Hamhuis. Everytime i see the Preds play, I'm always impressed with his game. All in all, it seems like you guys are STACKED at the blueline. I'm jealous....
You guys are all right. You have JJ and... um... JJ.

Hammer is our #1 defenseman. He led the team in TOI and played in all situations Suter is our #2, but he's had some problems with the coaching staff and management. Weber is #3 out of the group right now, but could be #2 at some point. He needs to work on getting the puck out of the zone before he sees more PK time.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
You guys are all right. You have JJ and... um... JJ.

Hammer is our #1 defenseman. He led the team in TOI and played in all situations Suter is our #2, but he's had some problems with the coaching staff and management. Weber is #3 out of the group right now, but could be #2 at some point. He needs to work on getting the puck out of the zone before he sees more PK time.
It's almost a lock they'll have someone else to add to that list in the future should they pass on Filatov and not trade out of their draft spot. Plus Hickey should be ok.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
predfan24

Quote:

I guarntee you Suter is asking for more than 3.2. A rumor from earlier in May was that Suter already turned down 3.5 million a year for 3 years. I really like Suter and I think he started to show glimpses of how good he really could be in the last half of last seasona nd the playoffs BUT he is the most likely to go than the other 2. WHY you ask?

Hammer was our best D man last year and he has a SWEET contract. IMo is more untouchable than Weber. I know alot of people wouldnt agree with me on that. Weber has the biggest upside of any D we have. He has already shown he can dominate and he is only gonna get better. We have tons of Defensive depth but we don't have another player like Weber coming down the pipeline. That being said if a team was willing to massively oberpay for Weber I would let him go... As for Suter he is starting to come into his own and I HOPE we can sign him but if he tries to play hardball and we can get a good young top six forward coming back I would trade him. He;s not necessarily replaceable but he is more replaceable than weber

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I guarntee you Suter is asking for more than 3.2. A rumor from earlier in May was that Suter already turned down 3.5 million a year for 3 years.
Maybe it was the length, rather than the cash value that Suter didn't like?

Oh, no, it couldn't possibly be that. It's never that.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

In terms of performance:

1) Hamhuis
2) Suter
3) Weber

In terms of the way you build a team:

1) Weber
2) Suter
3) Hamhuis

When you factor in contract demands/redundancy in the system/experience/etc:

1) Weber/Hamhuis
2) Suter

All things are not equal when it comes to comparing the three, so Suter would be the odd man out if push came to shove. With that said, I think he is getting close to Hamhuis's level (he is already far better with the puck IMO), and he is a better all around defenseman than Weber at this point (who knows what would have happened had Weber not got hurt in game 1). I would do everything in my power to keep Weber....Suter...not so much.

06-12-2008, 11:26 PM
AirborneVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
In terms of performance:

1) Hamhuis
2) Suter
3) Weber

In terms of the way you build a team:

1) Weber
2) Suter
3) Hamhuis

When you factor in contract demands/redundancy in the system/experience/etc:

1) Weber/Hamhuis
2) Suter

All things are not equal when it comes to comparing the three, so Suter would be the odd man out if push came to shove. With that said, I think he is getting close to Hamhuis's level (he is already far better with the puck IMO), and he is a better all around defenseman than Weber at this point (who knows what would have happened had Weber not got hurt in game 1). I would do everything in my power to keep Weber....Suter...not so much.
I could not agree more. Although i would have listed the performance as 2a. Suter and 2b. Weber

AirborneVirus is offline   Reply With Quote