HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Canucks trying to move 10th overall. Can the Rangers move from 20 to 10?

Old
06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
yeah, I bet the Tampa Bay Lightening thought the same thing coming into this year.
probably so. but that doesn't mean our odds are any better than 100:1.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:24 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Are you kidding me?! Why would Van want this?

The pair of 3s equal a second. Backman is worthless. Prucha is close to worthless. So it's #20 and crap for #10.

Let me ask you this: would you move down from 20 to 30 in return for two marginal players?
First, I admit I was trying to steal a second round pick to grab jared staal.....
Secondly, Prucha and Backman are not crap, they are both nhl players which is more than you can guarantee with any draft pick after a top few each year.
Essentially the nucks drop 10 picks and pick up two guys that can step onto the roster... no one is giving up anything "great" for a number 10 pick..

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
First, I admit I was trying to steal a second round pick to grab jared staal.....
Secondly, Prucha and Backman are not crap, they are both nhl players which is more than you can guarantee with any draft pick after a top few each year.
Essentially the nucks drop 10 picks and pick up two guys that can step onto the roster... no one is giving up anything "great" for a number 10 pick..
stranger things have happend

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:18 AM
BigE

It's always interesting to see people giving up established players in a trade just to get one draft pick.

For me the idea is to build a team capable of playing and winning at the NHL level - not capable of winning HF's best propsect pool.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Celestial Black

Rozi, Dawes, Prucha, 1st in 08, 3rd in 09

Canucks 1st in 08...

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:03 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post

Canucks 1st in 08...
now we are trying to trade players who aren't even signed, and just had surgury.

hell lets throw Kasper in there as well.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
now we are trying to trade players who aren't even signed, and just had surgury.

hell lets throw Kasper in there as well.
and the rights to Immonen

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:50 AM
nyrangers23

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post

Canucks 1st in 08...
please stop with the dawes in every trade. hes a valuable asset to this team and will put up good #s playing with gomer for an entire season. dont care what happens to rozi n as much as i like prucha its time for him to go cuz he doesnt fit in to what we need

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers23 View Post
please stop with the dawes in every trade. hes a valuable asset to this team and will possibly put up good #s playing with gomer for an entire season. dont care what happens to rozi n as much as i like prucha its time for him to go cuz he doesnt fit in to what we need
Fixed it for you.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
nyrangers23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Fixed it for you.
no need to fix cuz if dawes plays with gomer all season and gets some pp time he WILL put up some good #'s next year
its not like im saying colton orr will score 10 goals next year

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Essentially the nucks drop 10 picks and pick up two guys that can step onto the roster... no one is giving up anything "great" for a number 10 pick..[/B]
If you had an opportunity to draft #10 in this draft would you trade them for likes of Prucha and Backman (he was traded for 4th round at the dead line)? Come on now.

Nucks are looking for top 6 forward, preferably second line center. Rangers do not have one with exception of Dubinsky who falls behind Kesler and Cherepanov who is not in NHL, same goes for Anisimov he is not in NHL.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 06-12-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
If you had an opportunity to draft #10 in this draft would you trade them for likes of Prucha and Backman (he was traded for 4th round at the dead line)? Come on now.

Nucks are looking for top 6 forward, preferably second line center. Rangers do not have one with exception of Dubinsky who falls behind Kesler and Cherepanov who is not in NHL, same goes for Anisimov he is not in NHL.
Yup preferably a center. Left wingers not particularly required (Mason Raymond has shown enough to me last season that he deserves another long hard look at that spot & Daniel Sedin is a legitimate 1st line left winger). Backman isn't required by the Canucks as the blueline is solid as it is (a #7 defenseman will be acquired via free agency). Not to mention we got too many left-handed shot "D" already.

Deal may be "proper value" but it doesn't fit the Canucks organizational needs.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Fletch

I don't think anyone..

is trading a pick in the first five rounds for Backman at this point, and Prucha lost a lot of his trade value last season. I think Prucha still has good value, but I don't think it's enough value to move up 10 spots (although admittedly, I cannot say what the difference is between the 10th pick and the 20th pick).

As for the 'Nucks' needs - I think they may have to give up more than their 10th pick to get a legit second line centerman. Perhaps not, but it does seem a bit light (I'm thinking a guy like Drury's worth more than the 10th overall pick in this year's draft and am using him as a second line center benchmark).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

I agree with just about everything you said, but i wasn't offering prucha and backman for the #10 pick, which i agree with you, wouldn't be a great deal for the canucks, but if you asked me if i'd trade the #10 pick for prucha, backman and the #20 pick i would say yes (if i could use a shifty 2nd or 3rd line winger ready to play this year and an nhl ready defenseman). My point being, whats the difference in talent between the 10th and 20th pick...not much in my eyes, and most likely neither are ready this year to play in the nhl. Your absolutely right that i didnt take the nucks needs into consideration though, i had no clue what they needed..

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:18 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
I do believe that the 10th pick is in play; however, we would likely be looking to package it for a Patrick Marleau type player, not Petr Prucha.
Am I the only one who thinks this is delusional? It's a #10 pick. ONLY the #10 pick. It's a good draft but the juicy juicy players that command "impact" returns are in the top 6 IMO. Sure you might get yourself a Getzlaf pick at 10, but you might get that same pick at 20. If you're talking the 10th overal for Prucha, no way. But I don't think I saw anyone so delusional to propose that. #20 pick + Prucha. I think it would have been fair LAST summer but after Prucha's '08 season, I could easily see that as a "give us more" offer. If Vancouver wants Marleau, the going rate is usually your #1, a strong roster player, and a top prospect.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Vancouver: "Yeah, lets take the Rangers scraps so they can move up 10 spots!"

And btw, the Vancouver fans would go nuts if the pick was traded to the Rangers of all teams.
It's funny and sad at the same time to see them ***** and moan about the Rangers ever since 1994 happened.

It's been a decade and a half. Get over it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is delusional? It's a #10 pick. ONLY the #10 pick. It's a good draft but the juicy juicy players that command "impact" returns are in the top 6 IMO. Sure you might get yourself a Getzlaf pick at 10, but you might get that same pick at 20. If you're talking the 10th overal for Prucha, no way. But I don't think I saw anyone so delusional to propose that. #20 pick + Prucha. I think it would have been fair LAST summer but after Prucha's '08 season, I could easily see that as a "give us more" offer. If Vancouver wants Marleau, the going rate is usually your #1, a strong roster player, and a top prospect.
No, you aren't the only one. Draft picks are sexy. The hope is they will become our next home grown star...the savior of the franchise. Unfortunately that is generally not reality. So when you see people proposing Prucha's and Dawe's and our own first rounders, as well as later picks to move up for the chance to grab a guy who maybe has a 7% better chance to succeed than the guy we take if we stand pat...well that's all emotion and wishful thinking. Fortunately a good organization doesn't wear their hearts on their sleeves as much as many fans do.

Old
06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No, you aren't the only one. Draft picks are sexy. The hope is they will become our next home grown star...the savior of the franchise. Unfortunately that is generally not reality. So when you see people proposing Prucha's and Dawe's and our own first rounders, as well as later picks to move up for the chance to grab a guy who maybe has a 7% better chance to succeed than the guy we take if we stand pat...well that's all emotion and wishful thinking. Fortunately a good organization doesn't wear their hearts on their sleeves as much as many fans do.
But isn't that logic insane? Especially when Prucha and Dawes could develop into very good players? Dawes can turn into Martin St. Louis minus that extra gear. Prucha could slowly develop into a Marty Straka clone. They aren't going to be SAVIORS but I don't think they should be carelessly thrown about for what you call a +7% gamble. You seem to be in agreement though.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
But isn't that logic insane? Especially when Prucha and Dawes could develop into very good players? Dawes can turn into Martin St. Louis minus that extra gear. Prucha could slowly develop into a Marty Straka clone. They aren't going to be SAVIORS but I don't think they should be carelessly thrown about for what you call a +7% gamble. You seem to be in agreement though.
I'm absolutely in agreement. That said, if the organization thinks very highly of a guy who is falling on draft day, and they don't see a guy like Prucha or Dawes as an integral component of the team going forward, I don't have a problem if they do a deal...as long as they get it right more times than they get it wrong. But the idea of trading proven talent (even if not on a superstar level) for a shot in the dark is insane.

Old
06-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm absolutely in agreement. That said, if the organization thinks very highly of a guy who is falling on draft day, and they don't see a guy like Prucha or Dawes as an integral component of the team going forward, I don't have a problem if they do a deal...as long as they get it right more times than they get it wrong. But the idea of trading proven talent (even if not on a superstar level) for a shot in the dark is insane.
Absolutely. The organization is not going to trade a roster player for someone who is several years away from playing professionally, they are looking for players who can help them a lot sooner.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's funny and sad at the same time to see them ***** and moan about the Rangers ever since 1994 happened.

It's been a decade and a half. Get over it.
Who are you talking about? I can't think of any Canucks' fans that have any resentment towards the Rangers.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Pizza

I don't see the Rangers being a fit for this deal with Vancouver.

Either stay at 20 and get a nice prospect or trade down and pick up a few more.

IMO, the Rangers go BPA at 20.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Who are you talking about? I can't think of any Canucks' fans that have any resentment towards the Rangers.
I've seen it quite often on the board especially when trade proposals between the two teams pop up. I always get a chuckle out of it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I agree with just about everything you said, but i wasn't offering prucha and backman for the #10 pick, which i agree with you, wouldn't be a great deal for the canucks, but if you asked me if i'd trade the #10 pick for prucha, backman and the #20 pick i would say yes (if i could use a shifty 2nd or 3rd line winger ready to play this year and an nhl ready defenseman). My point being, whats the difference in talent between the 10th and 20th pick...not much in my eyes, and most likely neither are ready this year to play in the nhl. Your absolutely right that i didnt take the nucks needs into consideration though, i had no clue what they needed..
Thats because you do not have 10th over all in this very strong NHL draft. I do not think it is as strong as 2003 but still very good.

Prucha does not have real value .For whatever reason after his outsanding rookie season he became MIA, he is a depth forward at this point, and Van does not really need that NHL ready 7th d-man.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:14 PM
94now

The only player worth consideration by VAN is Dubinski. Dawes is a dime a dozen out there. Prucha has negative value.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote