HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ville Koistinen

Old
06-11-2008, 07:25 PM
oreilly22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Hamhuis yes, Suter no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVirus View Post
Did you mean to say Zanon instead of Suter?
I might concede positioning, but as of right now Suter is definitely a better skater than Weber. Weber has average speed and would rather pass the puck to his defensive partner than carry it up the ice. Suter has above average speed and has little problem entering the offensive zone with the puck. In fact, there's probably a case for Suter being a much better puck handler than Weber. Weber is not a great skater and his positioning is either equal to or slightly worse than Suter.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens fan in Toronto View Post
So what two guys are you going to let go on the blue line? Klein seems to be the obvious one to let go if an offersheet comes but who else?

Besides Suter, Weber, Koistinen and Zidlicky...
Zanon - would be the easy choice but he is cost effective.
De Vries - is the oldest and might be able to be moved.
Hamhuis - would probably net the most in a trade
We ditch De Vries and go with what we've got.

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Zidlicky-Koistinen
Zanon

Or if Zanon is in the lineup:

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Zidlicky
Klein-Zanon
Koistinen

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:30 AM
AirborneVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
I don't think we need to lose two. I think Nashville will only lose one of the eight defensemen, and then next year look to unload De Vries and/or Zanon to make room for the younger players. I would prefer to see one of De Vries or Zanon moved this year to make room for Klein, but I think Klein might be the odd man out this year.
I don't see why everyone is so quick to dismiss Zanon he seemed to be a really solid performer with a lot of blocked shots and the like. He's not Hamhuis, and he doesn't have the upside of Weber, Suter, or Klein, but given the choice of losing De Vries, Zidlicky, or Zanon, I'd dump De Vries in a heartbeat

AirborneVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:41 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVirus View Post
I don't see why everyone is so quick to dismiss Zanon he seemed to be a really solid performer with a lot of blocked shots and the like. He's not Hamhuis, and he doesn't have the upside of Weber, Suter, or Klein, but given the choice of losing De Vries, Zidlicky, or Zanon, I'd dump De Vries in a heartbeat
de Vries is the better player, he's just way overpaid.

Zanon thinks he's a goalie.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
de Vries is the better player, he's just way overpaid.

Right. Zanon is something of a one-trick pony. It's a good trick most of the time...but he's not perfect at it. He was guilty of screening the goalie or tipping in an opposition shot more than any other defenseman, this year...and when it comes to actually making a play defensively, he's a good 3 or 4 notches below everyone else.

DeVries, as you say, was actually fairly decent this year...he's just not worth nearly 3 million dollars.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:42 AM
lugnut76

There is a lot about Zanon that I like. IMO he doesn't have the level of talent that the other Pred defensemen have, but to his credit I think he squeezes out and uses what he does have through hard work and hockey smarts. I don't want to see Zanon go, but at some point the organization must move up and develop the more talented players.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:54 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Good, we could use one.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
continental divide*

To revive this thread...

What, in all honesty, is a player like Klein worth in a trade? As fans, what would you like to see in return (realistically) for Klein if you had to choose one: pick, prospect, or roster player?

continental divide* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I have no idea what Klein's value around the league is now. He was an early second round pick, and he only improved his stock until Poile/Trotz failed to fix the defensive logjam. Realistically, I think he is a borderline 1st round/2nd round value.....what he would garner at this moment - probably a third round pick or a forward prospect in a similar situation.

06-16-2008, 10:55 AM
continental divide*

So, would you take Umberger? (I kid, I kid)

Again, when it comes to Klein, my perception is a little skewed because I like the kid a lot and probably think his value is higher than most do.

I just wonder if Klein does get traded before the season starts.

Enoch, in your honest opinion, is Klein ready to be an every game DMan in the NHL?

Old
06-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie pass View Post
So, would you take Umberger? (I kid, I kid)

Again, when it comes to Klein, my perception is a little skewed because I like the kid a lot and probably think his value is higher than most do.

I just wonder if Klein does get traded before the season starts.

Enoch, in your honest opinion, is Klein ready to be an every game DMan in the NHL?
I believe he has been ready each of the three years since the lockout. I understand why they sent him down in 05-06 (young, could use a bit more seasoning despite a great training camp), but since then, his situation has been completely mishandled by this organization.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
continental divide*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I believe he has been ready each of the three years since the lockout. I understand why they sent him down in 05-06 despite a great camp, but since then, his situation has been completely mishandled by this organization (regrettably).
Really? That's a shame. I guess this is the peril and/or bi-product of having too much organizational defensive depth. Someone's career inevitably gets hurt. Enoch, one last question for you (and I do appreciate your insight): what, do you feel, is going to be Klein's calling card in the NHL? Meaning, will he be a stay at home or offensive D man? From what I remember, he was a really polished skater.

Old
06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie pass View Post
Really? That's a shame. I guess this is the peril and/or bi-product of having too much organizational defensive depth. Someone's career inevitably gets hurt. Enoch, one last question for you (and I do appreciate your insight): what, do you feel, is going to be Klein's calling card in the NHL? Meaning, will he be a stay at home or offensive D man? From what I remember, he was a really polished skater.
I think he'll be a quality 2nd pairing guy who's got great catch-up speed, the final game against the Hawks he got caught out of position against one of there good young forwards and was able to track him down without taking a penalty

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I think he'll be a quality 2nd pairing guy who's got great catch-up speed, the final game against the Hawks he got caught out of position against one of there good young forwards and was able to track him down without taking a penalty
I think this is a pretty good analysis. I don't think he will be a top pairing defenseman, but he certainly could sit in the 4/5 range quite easily....topping out as a no.3. His speed is great, and he has solid hitting instincts for a player his size. His offensive/defensive instincts are good, not great, which pretty sums up his entire game (save for speed) - Good/not great.

Another poster pointed out in another thread that the offer sheet for a guy like Klein may be in the 2nd round value - if true, my initial comments on his value are off. Still, its hard to peg his value simply because the situation here in Nashville is a huge mitigating factor...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 06:13 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
I think this is a pretty good analysis. I don't think he will be a top pairing defenseman, but he certainly could sit in the 4/5 range quite easily....topping out as a no.3. His speed is great, and he has solid hitting instincts for a player his size. His offensive/defensive instincts are good, not great, which pretty sums up his entire game (save for speed) - Good/not great.

Another poster pointed out in another thread that the offer sheet for a guy like Klein may be in the 2nd round value - if true, my initial comments on his value are off. Still, its hard to peg his value simply because the situation here in Nashville is a huge mitigating factor...
I understand that having him ride the pine all year could lower his stock but I think that is something that fans of other teams look at not other GM's. By that I mean that other GM's can and will factor in the early season injury plus the situation with other young d-men and be honest about his value. This is especially true if we can get a couple of teams bidding against eachother.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
continental divide*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Thanks Dave and Thanks Enoch. I appreciate both of your posts.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:11 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
I believe he has been ready each of the three years since the lockout. I understand why they sent him down in 05-06 (young, could use a bit more seasoning despite a great training camp), but since then, his situation has been completely mishandled by this organization.
You can say that again.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote