HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN HABS Off-Season Game Plan

Old
06-12-2008, 10:11 PM
habsfan56

vCash: 500
TSN HABS Off-Season Game Plan

tsn released the off-season game plan for the canadiens

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_c...s=secStory_nhl

what do you all think
getting jokinen would be crazy but may be too pricey
and hoping that gainey leaves the goaltending duo of price and halak alone (wouldnt want lalime or kolzig as a backup)

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-12-2008 at 10:38 PM.
habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I like Scott Cullen's(TSN) off season plans, usually read them. I think it gives a general look at us and out future.

As for getting Jokinen, wouldn't mind, he's got a good contract for a player of his stature but he'll be expensive to trade for i'm sure.

I like our goaltending as well, it should not be altered, but i'd like if a veteran AHL 3rd string goalie is added for dejardins in the AHL, and incase of injury at the NHL level.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
"We want to play a fast game," general manager Bob Gainey told the Montreal Gazette. "Could we be bigger and more rugged? Perhaps, but our philosophy is we're quick, we're exciting, we're on the attack and we're ready to score."
Rolston is fast and rugged. I'm surprised they didn't mention him as a possible target.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I didn't notice if he keeps the same pattern for every team's draft predictions (A Goalie, A Defenseman and A Forward?) but I disagree with him.

- The Habs will not pick a Goalie in the first round when they picked one fifth overall 2-3 years ago.

- The Habs will not draft another D when the pipeline is FULL.

- The Habs will NOT draft a 5'10" center.

One prediction about the Habs' draft: The guy will play a forward position and be upwards of 6 feet tall.

As far as goalies go, yes they should draft one, in the later rounds.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:06 AM
prevail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I didn't notice if he keeps the same pattern for every team's draft predictions (A Goalie, A Defenseman and A Forward?) but I disagree with him.

- The Habs will not pick a Goalie in the first round when they picked one fifth overall 2-3 years ago.

- The Habs will not draft another D when the pipeline is FULL.

- The Habs will NOT draft a 5'10" center.

One prediction about the Habs' draft: The guy will play a forward position and be upwards of 6 feet tall.

As far as goalies go, yes they should draft one, in the later rounds.
I was thinking about the draft and I dont think itll matter what their position is or their size, it's the BPA, just like with Price.

Would you rather draft a 6'5 Colbourne who could have trouble keeping up his speed or a 5'10 Eberle who could be pushed around.

The draft is intriguing as in there is a lot of unknowns about the players after the top 10. Just be confident is wtv they decide cause it's their job and rep on the line.

That being sad, I can't wait for the next 3 weeks!

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:31 AM
GNick42

If Streit doesn't resign, Dands is bought out we have around 14 million and change caproom. I think Gainey will go hard after Sundin and Wheeler. But will not get either...just my gut feeling. I would resign Streit and go after Shanny....keep the team basically intact from last season....Jokinen? If the deal is right...but doubt we can get something done

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:06 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by prevail View Post
I was thinking about the draft and I dont think itll matter what their position is or their size, it's the BPA, just like with Price.

Would you rather draft a 6'5 Colbourne who could have trouble keeping up his speed or a 5'10 Eberle who could be pushed around.

The draft is intriguing as in there is a lot of unknowns about the players after the top 10. Just be confident is wtv they decide cause it's their job and rep on the line.

I agree, the Habs will take whomever the best player available is. A golaie is not out of the question as any goalie would likely not be ready for another 4-5 years and which point it would be a great way to introduce an inexpensive backup for Price.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Pascal

They say Koivu has been playing with an "edge" with his 90+ PIM. lol. More like playing with a "hook".

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:27 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
They say Koivu has been playing with an "edge" with his 90+ PIM. lol. More like playing with a "hook".
With that cutting wit and talent you'll surely make a bigger impact than Koivu has in your career.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
"Captain Hook"?

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by prevail View Post

Colborne has the body ot Tarzan but plays like Jane. I don't mind picking a big center but he has to be a guy with skill that competes. I like Gainey's philosophy given that Detroit won the cup with pucxk possession and speed.

I think a good center with size and skill would be Cormier in the 2nd...but I have a hunch the Habs want Hudon-Paquette though he is not very creative offensively and might be limited to a Begin/Kostopoulos type role in the NHL.

I think Markstrom or Peckard would be a solid pick at 25. Just get the best player available instead of picking a guy you don't like for need.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:50 AM
kyne

There are plenty of good forwards available in the first three rounds so that makes me doubt that the Habs will take Pickard at # 25. Instead, I could see them going after a high risk, high reward goalie like Allen in the third or fourth round.

One player not listed that does intrigue me is Gardiner. I realize he's a defenseman, but he's considered very good offensively and a gifted pp quarterback by some. Between him and a potential second/third line centre, I think he might be a good choice.

Last edited by kyne: 06-13-2008 at 11:59 AM.
kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post
There are plenty of good forwards available in the first three rounds so that makes me doubt that the Habs will take Pickard at # 25. Instead, I could see them going after a high risk, high reward goalie like Allen in the third or fourth round.

One player not listed that does intrigue me is Gardiner. I realize he's a defenseman, but he's considered very good offensively and a gifted pp quarterback by some. Between him and a potential second/third line centre, I think he might be a good choice.
I think they always go with the BPA, but when they make their list, they know how strong their prospect pool is and they scout the type of player they need/want too. I do think they will draft upfront for the same reason they drafted on D the last couple of years, with a bias. I don't have any problem with d-men or goalies being draft this year, because if they draft one, it will be because they feel it's a guy who slip to them.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Pascal

I doubt Pickard will be there at 25.. his stock has risen a lot lately it seems. Even McKeens' placed him as #1 goaltender and in the top 15 I believe (going from memory).

I think the Habs could go for a high risk high reward type player as they don't have a lot of high impact offensive players in the prospect pool.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:18 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

For me, in an ideal world.. I want Selanne and Sundin. Both would cost money but both would be short term deals.. and that's going to help us in a couple of years. We have no cap issues this season upcoming, but the season after? We do.

Lats - Koivu - Selanne
Higgins - Sundin - Kosty
Kosty - Pleks - Kovy
Lappy - Chips - Streit

COULD YOU IMAGINE?! lol

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I won't like our picks if we pick any of the 3 guys mentioned. You don't need to for Pickard in the 1st, there's enough good potential goalies to choose one after. I liked Nyemi the game I saw him play but not enough for a 1st rounder. And Arniel......I just can't imagine.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:49 AM
peperebougon*

I know for sure (worked with his brother) Timmins met Antoine Laganière's family. He is a big talented center from montreal (he is an anglo though) who plays in the States. Can someone tell me about him??? I think he will be drafted in the 3rd round.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Galchy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
I know for sure (worked with his brother) Timmins met Antoine Laganière's family. He is a big talented center from montreal (he is an anglo though) who plays in the States. Can someone tell me about him??? I think he will be drafted in the 3rd round.
He'll be drafted much later than that.

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
kostitsyn1489

I didnt like his pick for the draft... From some source 2 of the guys didnt get interview with the habs so i highly doubt they draft them and the other one I'm not too sure he would be a good fit. Anyway we'll see.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote