HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: HDMI Cables for HDTV

Old
06-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
My cable box doesn't allow for a HDMI connection. It has the Video In/Out slots. Is there an adapter that I can use that will not impede the TV quality?
Does it have component video out? Should be labeled Y/PB/PR and are colored red/green/blue with two audio ports associated with it as well.

The difference between HDMI and Component video in terms of video quality isn't drastic. In fact, most people will hardly notice a change. The real advantage as far as video goes lies in being able to use only one cable as opposed to 5 for component.

To the OP: Any HDMI cable will be fine.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Glad to hear it. I'm in the process of moving into a condo so I'm not up and running yet... can't wait to get the TV put up on the wall. I'm waiting on my PS3... just got it from Walmart.com b/c they guve you a 100 dollar gift card. I want to get that Planet Earth Series on Blu-Ray.
Definately do it. I put that thing on my tv (Sharp Aquos, 32" 1080p) and sit there like I'm f'in comatose.

But back on topic, I paid more to ship my HDMI cables that I actually paid for them. I also got a hell of a deal on my TV off Amazon. BB/CC wanted an additional like $600 for it, PC Richards another $400 or so.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
yea when i bought my HDTV they tried to push the 100$ dollar HDMI cable on me...good try there pal. I went to amazon and got a 12$ HDMI cable and it works fine. my brother on the other hand fell for the 100$ cable pitch, and we compared the two. Guess what 10$ cable just as good.
I went and checked out a couple of high-end HDTV forums when I bought my HDTV, and they all said the same thing: Stick with the $10 cables.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Fletch

This is the HDMI cable I bought...

http://www.plasmabay.com/product-xtr...l-package.html

the cheap ones are fine, but if you want to watch events such as hockey, you're better off with expensive cables. For my smaller TVs I only spent about $7 on cables.

From what I hear about HDMI cables in general is that the quality is no better than decent composite cable and the only real difference is one cable for audio and video instead of several (this came from a guy who was installing a system in my house and who sells HDMI cables).

How do you like the TV? I think I bought the same one for my bedroom. I think I'm a bigger fan of plasma, but it's still a nice TV.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
RegalRangers

It is downright unethical how much hdmi cables are marked up in retail stores. Monoprice is where to go. Cheap hdmi cables that work perfectly. You can also find an hdmi switcher at best buy for $200. Monoprice has great ones for as cheap as 18.50 http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Whoever owns monster cables is using hundred dollar bills as tissues.

There is no difference in image or sound quality at all between a $130 hdmi cable and a $3 hdmi cable. Even if you bought a 3 dollar cable and it crapped out and you have to buy a new one you're still saving $124.

It's like this for most cables. I used to work at Staples and they had a little scanner that employees used to check details on an item. Printer cables sold for a minimum of 20 bucks and when i scanned one it told me that staples paid just over a dollar for each of them.

Last edited by RegalRangers: 06-12-2008 at 09:10 AM.
RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Please Please do not waste your money on expensive cables. I'm a professional A/V installer and I assure you expensive hdmi cables are a waste of money. Buy a reasonably priced cable of good quality, usually in the $30-$50 dollar range. Even the 10 dollar cables you can get online will work great, but i'd be concerned with how long these extra cheap cables will last. What you read online is correct, HDMI carries a digital signal, which unlike an analog signal which can be degraded on poor cabling, a digital signal is basically all or nothing. If your hdmi cable carries a signal, then it carries the same signal as another cable. Hope that makes sense. You can pick up an hdmi cable for your cable box and your ps3 for less than 1 monster cable.
Hey, I've got cheap hdmi cables from monoprice with ferrite cores and they give me an audio flicker. The video is perfect, but sometimes I will get an annoying flicker on the audio (I don't have a stereo system).

Can I get rid of this if I buy better cables?

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:10 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
the guy in the store, like most retail salespeople, is an idiot.

get this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

it will work as well as any $150 HDMI cable, and you'll end up with about $145 extra in your pocket.
I didnt get a chance to run through all the posts in this thread because broadwayblue won the thread so early on with this post. Monster Cable is an epic waste of money. Never buy anything with Monster on it. Its like buying Bose products. They arent that great, the marketing is. All cables and accessories should be bought at monoprice. The place is awesome.

As for HDMI, component is just as good. Some people actually like the picture better with component. It all depends what you have, but in all seriousness, you probably will not be able tell the difference between component and hdmi. If you want to watch High Def, you will need one of the two. This is the order of quality...

Composite - Yellow cable, often found with the red and white audio cables. Avoid at all costs.
Svideo - Svideo is a pretty noticeable imporvement over composite.
Component - Red/Blue/Green cable. Sometimes they have the Red/White audio cables with it. Bare minimum for HD.
HDMI - The nice thing about HDMI is that its fully digital. If you have surround sound and use component you need a total of 6 connections. The Red/Blue/Green video, Red/White Audio, and the cable for your sub. Hdmi is an all in one cable.

Most video displays have a limited amount of HDMI ports. Anything with a High Def picture should definitely use Component/HDMI. Even if you have a Non-HD DVD player, you should still use Component/HDMI if you have enough ports. The difference is definitely noticeable.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:31 AM
alucard

What about HDMI to DVI cables? How is the image for those cables. My TV does not have HDMI for whatever reason, but it has component, VGA, and DVI among other things. For my cable I plan on using the 6 component, but I plan on buying a PS3 in the near future and was hoping to us a HDMI to DVI cable. (By the way very nice find on the Walmart PS3 + $100 gift card whoever posted that.)
Or is there another alternative to the DVI-HDMI cable i was planning on getting for my PS3?

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:42 AM
thesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
If you can afford it, I would immediately steer you towards Blue Jeans Cables. I have done business with them several times, and they make high quality stuff for pretty cheap (considering the competition). I've bought both audio and video cables from them. They are kind of a hidden secret in the audio world.

If you're interested, here's the link to their HDMI page:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm

I agree that Monster Cables suck. They are the Bose of the cable world, so don't buy into their sham. I'm sure they are not the worst cables out there, but certainly not worth their asking price.

/end rant about obscure subject
I'll second http://www.bluejeanscable.com ... I've dealt with them before as well. The make a high quality product for a good price and get it to you fast!

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
What about HDMI to DVI cables? How is the image for those cables. My TV does not have HDMI for whatever reason, but it has component, VGA, and DVI among other things. For my cable I plan on using the 6 component, but I plan on buying a PS3 in the near future and was hoping to us a HDMI to DVI cable. (By the way very nice find on the Walmart PS3 + $100 gift card whoever posted that.)
Or is there another alternative to the DVI-HDMI cable i was planning on getting for my PS3?
hdmi to dvi looks just as good as hdmi for me.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:01 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pete View Post
hdmi to dvi looks just as good as hdmi for me.
It basically should, the major disadvantage not being picture quality (dvi carries a digital signal as well), but the inability to carry audio and send control signals over one cable is what you trade off.
In your earlier post you mentioned an audio flicker, which is rare, but possible if the cable had been kinked, damaged, or as you said, just cheaply made. It is strange that you would receive and lose a digital signal though, and only the audio particularly. Before I recommended you go out and spend more money, do you have another set of cables to try, whether it be dvi with seperate audio or component cables?

Worth a read-
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...1/article.html

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 06-12-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: link added
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
blue2noise

I second BroadwayBlue. Monoprice is the way to go.

Something tells me he and I are both Home Theater AVS'ers as well

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:37 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post

As for HDMI, component is just as good. Some people actually like the picture better with component. It all depends what you have, but in all seriousness, you probably will not be able tell the difference between component and hdmi. If you want to watch High Def, you will need one of the two. This is the order of quality....
Always go with HDMI over component as Comp. is not only analog but has a maximum of 1080i, where HDMI is 1080p. It will not matter as much for HDTV as 1080i is the max anyway but if you want to go BluRay I would go with HDMI for full HD 1080p

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:55 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I second BroadwayBlue. Monoprice is the way to go.

Something tells me he and I are both Home Theater AVS'ers as well
Yup. AVS has been a great resource for me...and I'm happy to pass along what I've learned.

Just for the record, component video can transport 1080p. However, not all displays/sources support 1080p through component.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
**** HDMI cables.

You guys should all chip in and buy me these speaker cables for my audiophile turntable set-up.

http://www.needledoctor.com/XLO-LE-5...Speaker-Cables

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
**** HDMI cables.

You guys should all chip in and buy me these speaker cables for my audiophile turntable set-up.

Good call. I'm about to upgrade the rest of my components to these:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/xstr...premier_sc.asp

Old
06-12-2008, 10:15 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
**** HDMI cables.

my parents have those speaker cables in their setup, and honestly you can't tell any difference between those speaker cables and 16-12 gauge cable. there was a great article posted on the avs forum about speaker cables very similar to the hdmi debate...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
my parents have those speaker cables in their setup, and honestly you can't tell any difference between those speaker cables and 16-12 gauge cable. there was a great article posted on the avs forum about speaker cables very similar to the hdmi debate...
What speakers are they using?

I can tell very well slight differences in sound because I've sunk some decent money into my set-up.

On a good speaker/cable set-up, you'll notice the low-end a lot more than on an average one. That's one area where the differences are always fairly huge.

Old
06-12-2008, 10:17 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
What speakers are they using?

I can tell very well slight differences in sound because I've sunk some decent money into my set-up.
Martin Logan

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
Martin Logan
Good stuff. A lot of people rave about their speakers.

But seriously. Throw on a cheap set of speaker cables and tell me that you can't hear a difference.

I mean, my set-up is certainly cheaper than anything that Logan puts out and I can hear the difference quite readily when I compare mine to a lesser system.

The cables and the amp (and pre-amp), in opinion, are supremely important for sound in music.

And, obviously if you're using it for vinyl, the cartridge. I place more value on that than I do the speakers but that's only from experience and comparisons.

Old
06-12-2008, 10:35 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
what do the video in/outs look like? if your box doesn't offer HDMI it likely supports component video (3 RCA female connectors 1 each of R, G, B). On most displays you'll get pretty much the same quality picture as you would with HDMI. So definitely go with component over S-video (one round connection with pins inside) or heaven forbid composite (1 yellow RCA connection) which is garbage.
Thanks dude ...huge help. I have the three female connectors but heard that the "USB type" HDMI cable allows for sharper blue's/greens

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Thanks dude ...huge help. I have the three female connectors but heard that the "USB type" HDMI cable allows for sharper blue's/greens
No problem. I have a 112" image and honestly can't be certain there's any significant difference when i toggle between HDMI and Component. If there is a difference it's certainly much, much smaller than the difference between s-video and component. The bottom line is HD over component or HDMI rocks.

Old
06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Monster is a HUGE ripoff!!! Get another brand...

I got my sony HDMI cable at target for $50 and it works great

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Monster is a HUGE ripoff!!! Get another brand...

I got my sony HDMI cable at target for $50 and it works great

I guess value is subjective. You could have bought a dozen for the same price as your sony.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:19 PM
ARS

Unlike component, composite and s-video cables,every HDMI cable is the same whether it's $10 or $100 since all that goes through the cable is digital signals, not analog signals.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote