HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More "Canadians" on our team?

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2008, 01:54 PM
LilWinger11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussin View Post
The Russians and the Finns as physical and skilled as team canada?

Remember the past 4 WJC?
Remember the Torino Olympics?

Old
06-13-2008, 01:55 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
just like Steven Crosby when he played in the CHL?

what nationality is he again?

HOW IS THIS RELEVANT?

Old
06-13-2008, 01:55 PM
NativeHockey77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Remember the Torino Olympics?
remember how they didnt bring our best players?

I.E...Steven Crosby , Eric Staal...ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
HOW IS THIS RELEVANT?
that Canadians are the BEST! and Crosby is Canadian...only fitting

aint it beautiful?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-13-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old
06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
this was a great thread untill it was made into a gong show

why cant you guys accept Canadian players are best at playing the Canadian game?
Because you'll find that intelligent adults tend to avoid making or validating such abstract blanket statements, especially when they deal with entire nationalities or ethnic groups. If you want people who will do that, go find a bunch of sixteen-year-olds to talk to.

Old
Artie

this thread is starting to remind me that there is a village being deprived somewhere.....

Old
GoneAway

vCash:
simply unreal....

and I thought TheDamned was dense

Old
Istvan

Quote:
but we talkin bout HOCKEY

how many Canadian kids grow up wantin to win a HOCKEY championship in Europe?

if there is any, they from Alberta jk

But seriously, Canadians wanna win the Stanley cup more than any other...so naturally we are better fitting captains...
A soccer championship in Europe is more on par with a Stanley Cup in North America. Point being that an athlete's desire to be the best often takes him to a different country to accomplish that goal. And if a kid from Saskatoon ended up with a top premiership soccer team there would be no reason to believe that he would want the championship any less than the Brits or players of any other nationality on that team.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Artie

Quote:
simply unreal....

and I thought TheDamned was dense

well he is right Canadian are the best at playing the canadian game

Russians play the Russian game best
Swedes play the Swedish game best
Fins play the Finnish game best.

etc...

now which province plays the canadian game best
besides Kingston of course?

Old
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
well he is right Canadian are the best at playing the canadian game

Russians play the Russian game best
Swedes play the Swedish game best
Fins play the Finnish game best.

etc...

now which province plays the canadian game best
besides Kingston of course?
Steven Crosby Ville?

Old
06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
mcphee

Quote:
but we talkin bout HOCKEY

how many Canadian kids grow up wantin to win a HOCKEY championship in Europe?

if there is any, they from Alberta jk

But seriously, Canadians wanna win the Stanley cup more than any other...so naturally we are better fitting captains...
The NHL is a mainly American based corporation with about just over 60% of it's players being from Canada. I'd guess that the % of captains reflects the number of nationalities playing the game at this level, though I didn't bother to actually check this out.

Personally, I belive Canada is the top hockey country in the world due to depth. If you have 5 best against best tournaments, you could get 5 difefrent winners, esp. now with the young Russian players seemingly coming together . There are 6 legit teams with a chance to win every tourney.

Where Canada shines is in depth. Our #2 team could compete in any tournament and have a chance. Rigged,skilled,in your face, that sounds like the guy who walked off with the Hart last night. The days are goine where you could bludgeon a European team and they'd back off. Canadian players have historically had an extra gear hey could go to in key situations but as we reach successive generations where teams routinely have a broad ethnic mix, this is changing. Canada can't simply want it more, other countries have adopted this as well.

Which teams play what you consider the Canadian style ? Using broad terms is just you hiding behind big letters. You think Czech coaches caution against speed,skill, and passion ?

Quote:
Steven Crosby Ville?
I'm getting confused, it was David Crosby in CSNY right ? aka Spemwhale. Bing was the singer.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-13-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The NHL is a mainly American based corporation with about just over 60% of it's players being from Canada. I'd guess that the % of captains reflects the number of nationalities playing the game at this level, though I didn't bother to actually check this out.

Personally, I belive Canada is the top hockey country in the world due to depth. If you have 5 best against best tournaments, you could get 5 difefrent winners, esp. now with the young Russian players seemingly coming together . There are 6 legit teams with a chance to win every tourney.

Where Canada shines is in depth. Our #2 team could compete in any tournament and have a chance. Rigged,skilled,in your face, that sounds like the guy who walked off with the Hart last night. The days are goine where you could bludgeon a European team and they'd back off. Canadian players have historically had an extra gear hey could go to in key situations but as we reach successive generations where teams routinely have a broad ethnic mix, this is changing. Canada can't simply want it more, other countries have adopted this as well.

Which teams play what you consider the Canadian style ? Using broad terms is just you hiding behind big letters. You think Czech coaches caution against speed,skill, and passion ?
I once had an old record player that would constantly skip...getting that flashback as well, Mikey?

Old
06-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Just ignore this thread and then bump it back when the habs win the cup.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I once had an old record player that would constantly skip...getting that flashback as well, Mikey?
It's like a stick jammed into the spokes of evolution. I had a record player that wouldn't quite engage the record, so we taped a penny on the arm. That was the Canadian way of fixing a record player. I was a Canadian kid, and yeah, I liked to listen to records.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

Joined this thread a little late, but the OP is right. No need to get rid of the euro's that we have now, but they are a little...dare I say..soft? Plekanec had a horrible playoff, and Andrei K looked lost. Sergie played well, and Koivu was a warrior-European or not, that's not what I'm looking at. We just need a few more role players, and they don't necesarily have to be Canadian, it just so happens that most of the guys that fit the description are.

A couple of Detroit's euro's play a NA style. Holmstrom and Franzen are warriors. It's not true 100% of the time, but I found the Habs team a little soft this year.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
It's like a stick jammed into the spokes of evolution. I had a record player that wouldn't quite engage the record, so we taped a penny on the arm. That was the Canadian way of fixing a record player. I was a Canadian kid, and yeah, I liked to listen to records.
But did you used ducttape while wearing a toque and long johns and drinking a Blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
Joined this thread a little late, but the OP is right. No need to get rid of the euro's that we have now, but they are a little...dare I say..soft? Plekanec had a horrible playoff, and Andrei K looked lost. Sergie played well, and Koivu was a warrior-European or not, that's not what I'm looking at. We just need a few more role players, and they don't necesarily have to be Canadian, it just so happens that most of the guys that fit the description are.

A couple of Detroit's euro's play a NA style. Holmstrom and Franzen are warriors. It's not true 100% of the time, but I found the Habs team a little soft this year.
Agreed on the soft part...but the euro=soft stigma is a myth...

For all the soft euros, I can name a soft Canadian boy...Kilger, anyone?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-13-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Artie

Quote:
But did you used ducttape while wearing a toque and long johns and drinking a Blue?
hoser...

reminds me, there are only 2 things you need in life.

Duct Tape and WD40

If it moves and shouldn't then duct tape it
It it doesn't move and should then WD40 it.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I was 11. There was no duct tape then, just Scotch tape, and why we couldn't have used Canadian tape, I'll never get.

Old
06-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Artie

Quote:
I was 11. There was no duct tape then, just Scotch tape, and why we couldn't have used Canadian tape, I'll never get.
Because the littel piece of tartan colored paper at the tip of the new role would have not made any sense....

besides the Canadian tape was busy with hockey sticks....

Old
06-13-2008, 02:23 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Because the littel piece of tartan colored paper at the tip of the new role would have not made any sense....

besides the Canadian tape was busy with hockey sticks....
/thread

Old
06-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
/thread
okay

Closed Thread