HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Green

Old
06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 500
Mike Green

I just want to see what the Value of Mike Green is. What kind of return could the Caps get if they traded him?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Well..Seeing as he is an RFA, with no contract status its kind of hard to gauge value.

So for dicussions sake lets assume hes signed at 5.5 million for another 5 years. Is that reasonable?

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:49 AM
copperandblue

I really like Mike Green, even in his draft year I wanted the Oilers to grab him.

That said, his status this went through the roof this year at what has to be considered an unnatural rate. Meaning I wonder if he will prove to be this seasons flavour of the month.

I don't have a real sense of what he could bring in but I do think that if the Caps were considering to move him then he probably is at peak market value heading into this draft week. It would be a good time to sell high.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Previous discussion regarding salary/offersheet potential: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=522657

Trade value right now: very significant depending on salary expectations. I definetely think he's worth more than RFA compensation would be.

Only problem is that I don't know what WASH would be looking for. Green is just a guy that they should resign IMO. Any offensive d-man replacement is going to be a downgrade on Green, and the Cap's have a pretty good prospect system in place. I guess they could use a proven RW for the 2nd line, but a Caps poster would have to tell me what they'd really need.

Offer from the Hawks: Barker, #11 OV, Brouwer

Justification: Barker is a downgrade on Green, but did make significant progress last year, and could project as a replacement for Green. Brouwer scored 70+ goals (in total) his first two seasons in the AHL, and needs a scoring line shot at the NHL. #11th overall should be a very good prospect to stock the system.

Probably doesn't address what the Capitals are looking for because they'd be looking for more proven NHL talent, but the value is probably close IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:03 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

A couple of quick notes:

Was last season a fluke for Green? It's pretty much universal among Caps fans that it was not. Some posters who had followed him in Hershey expected big offense from him. What really cinches it though is the way he played under Boudreau. A switch went off and his game changed completely.

How much money does he want? All we know at this point is that Green and the Caps aren't seeing eye to eye and Green wants to at least see what the RFA market will bear. If he would sign a long term deal for under $5.5 I'd just as soon keep him. Anything over that though and he is an expendable luxury. Having offense from the blueline is great but our offense is plenty potent already and we have 3 centers who excel at carrying the puck through the neutral zone.

In a trade I'd look for a very good defensive dman, a young C/RW with scoring ability and intangibles, or a legitimate #1 goaltender. I'd prefer bodies over draft picks.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:05 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I really like Mike Green, even in his draft year I wanted the Oilers to grab him.

That said, his status this went through the roof this year at what has to be considered an unnatural rate. Meaning I wonder if he will prove to be this seasons flavour of the month.

I don't have a real sense of what he could bring in but I do think that if the Caps were considering to move him then he probably is at peak market value heading into this draft week. It would be a good time to sell high.
Don't underestimate the coaching change, I think that's a reasonable explanation for the jump. Of course that means he's not going to be as productive in some other systems, maybe on any other team considering his relationship with Boudreau. But seeing his development curve it might be reasonably safe to think it's not just a fluke.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

What would be his value if the Caps couldn't re-sign him and decide to trade him before July 1st. What do you think the Caps could get?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote