HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Suter signed by NSH

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
  #1
BigEyedPhish
Registered User
 
BigEyedPhish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: :D
Country: United States
Posts: 7,375
vCash: 500
Ryan Suter signed by NSH

Eklund says hes signed for "about 4 per" he doesn't know the year range however

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15682

I hope hes wrong again was hoping Ottawa would trade Vermette or something for him

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
  #2
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,126
vCash: 500
Eklund actually seems to have decent sources in Nashville...

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:48 PM
  #3
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
Eklund has a great relationship with all of the important media members/broadcasters/etc here in Nashville, so this is one team that you actually have to pay attention too when mentioned. Heck, he was even down here for the rally last year....

If true, I think it is about right. This contract is going to be similar to Gilbert/Whitney's extensions. He is the best all-around defender on the Predators, and in terms of defensive play, I would rank him 2nd right now. Weber could/will be better IMO, but at this point, Suter looks like he could be a 27 minute a night 1st pairing defenseman for years to come.

Another thing to consider, though, is this creates a conundrum for the Predators.

Weber is going nowhere.
Hamhuis is going nowhere (too cheap)
Suter shouldn't be going anywhere if resigned (and really should be a building block to begin with)

Devries is solid but with the depth the Predators have on D and the 2.75 salary - he is expendable

Zidlicky is signed to a sweetheart deal, but at 3.75 million - he has value and could be traded for a winger.

Klein/Koistenen both should be starting, but both are on the outside looking in.

Zanon - a fighter that works hard every night...a cheap 5/6/7 guy that is a solid starter or spot starter.

On the farm: Sulzer (could start in the NHL), Laakso (probably could start in the NHL), Franson (high-end prospect a year away), Blum (high-end prospect), Niskala...

Somebody has to go....

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:23 PM
  #4
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Eklund has a great relationship with all of the important media members/broadcasters/etc here in Nashville, so this is one team that you actually have to pay attention too when mentioned. Heck, he was even down here for the rally last year....

If true, I think it is about right. This contract is going to be similar to Gilbert/Whitney's extensions. He is the best all-around defender on the Predators, and in terms of defensive play, I would rank him 2nd right now. Weber could/will be better IMO, but at this point, Suter looks like he could be a 27 minute a night 1st pairing defenseman for years to come.

Another thing to consider, though, is this creates a conundrum for the Predators.

Weber is going nowhere.
Hamhuis is going nowhere (too cheap)
Suter shouldn't be going anywhere if resigned (and really should be a building block to begin with)

Devries is solid but with the depth the Predators have on D and the 2.75 salary - he is expendable

Zidlicky is signed to a sweetheart deal, but at 3.75 million - he has value and could be traded for a winger.

Klein/Koistenen both should be starting, but both are on the outside looking in.

Zanon - a fighter that works hard every night...a cheap 5/6/7 guy that is a solid starter or spot starter.

On the farm: Sulzer (could start in the NHL), Laakso (probably could start in the NHL), Franson (high-end prospect a year away), Blum (high-end prospect), Niskala...

Somebody has to go....
Do you think Klein or Koistinen can play #4-5 minutes this upcoming season? And what kind of salary demands are they looking at?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:56 PM
  #5
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Zidlicky for Umberger

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:03 PM
  #6
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Zidlicky for Umberger
That's a bad deal from the Flyers' perspective. I'd rather they just sign Berard to a cheap contract if they want a PP specialist.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:08 PM
  #7
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
That's a bad deal from the Flyers' perspective. I'd rather they just sign Berard to a cheap contract if they want a PP specialist.
Zidlicky is far better offensively AND MUCH better defensively than Bedard....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
  #8
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Zidlicky is far better offensively AND MUCH better defensively than Bedard....
That's true. However, I'd still say Zidlicky is a one dimensional defenseman and not someone I'd want seeing a lot of time in the playoffs. I'd rather not trade Umberger for that.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:26 PM
  #9
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
That's true. However, I'd still say Zidlicky is a one dimensional defenseman and not someone I'd want seeing a lot of time in the playoffs. I'd rather not trade Umberger for that.
Thats fine, but I think most GMs around the league would disagree with you (on your assessment of Zidlicky....I could care less about Umberger to be quite honest). Zidlicky isn't a shutdown defenseman, but he is at the least, average in his own zone. He is dreadfully underrated around here....


Last edited by Enoch: 06-13-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:26 PM
  #10
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Do you think Klein or Koistinen can play #4-5 minutes this upcoming season? And what kind of salary demands are they looking at?
I'm confident Koistinen could be a #4 D on basically any team in the league; Nashville would be much wiser to keep him for the salary he'll be looking at.

Klein, on the otherhand, really hasn't had much chance to develop yet at the NHL level and didn't really play much last year. He could possibly fill that role (more of a #5-6) but it wouldn't be something you could rely on him for, because he could be pretty rusty right now.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:40 PM
  #11
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I'm confident Koistinen could be a #4 D on basically any team in the league; Nashville would be much wiser to keep him for the salary he'll be looking at.

Klein, on the otherhand, really hasn't had much chance to develop yet at the NHL level and didn't really play much last year. He could possibly fill that role (more of a #5-6) but it wouldn't be something you could rely on him for, because he could be pretty rusty right now.
What do you think it would take from Philly to get Koistinen?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
  #12
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
Klein has a lot of talent. On any other team, he would be logging a decent amount of minutes. He is one of those guys that does everything well....without something he excels at (although it should be noted that he is probably the quickest blueliners on the Preds).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:37 PM
  #13
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Klein has a lot of talent. On any other team, he would be logging a decent amount of minutes. He is one of those guys that does everything well....without something he excels at (although it should be noted that he is probably the quickest blueliners on the Preds).
Eric Desjardins was a similar type of player.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:22 PM
  #14
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,343
vCash: 500
DAMN YOU DAVID POILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Eric Desjardins was a similar type of player.
Unless the Flyers go out and sign a guy like Commodore to a short deal Klein isn't the kind of guy we need. He's a #5 at best right now (no offense to his talent at all he just has almost no experience) and the Flyers really need a strong strong 2nd pairing guy.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:30 PM
  #15
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
DAMN YOU DAVID POILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!



Unless the Flyers go out and sign a guy like Commodore to a short deal Klein isn't the kind of guy we need. He's a #5 at best right now (no offense to his talent at all he just has almost no experience) and the Flyers really need a strong strong 2nd pairing guy.
Or you could go out, get a guy like Klein and split the Coburn/Timonen pair and use Timonen with either Parent or Klein and then give Coburn whoever after Timonen decides. I'd rather give a young guy with a boat load of potential the opportunity than just say we need a veteran to fill the spot. Sometimes the best way to see if someone can sink or swim is to throw them off the deep end.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:31 PM
  #16
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Eklund has a great relationship with all of the important media members/broadcasters/etc here in Nashville, so this is one team that you actually have to pay attention too when mentioned. Heck, he was even down here for the rally last year....

If true, I think it is about right. This contract is going to be similar to Gilbert/Whitney's extensions. He is the best all-around defender on the Predators, and in terms of defensive play, I would rank him 2nd right now. Weber could/will be better IMO, but at this point, Suter looks like he could be a 27 minute a night 1st pairing defenseman for years to come.

Another thing to consider, though, is this creates a conundrum for the Predators.

Weber is going nowhere.
Hamhuis is going nowhere (too cheap)
Suter shouldn't be going anywhere if resigned (and really should be a building block to begin with)

Devries is solid but with the depth the Predators have on D and the 2.75 salary - he is expendable

Zidlicky is signed to a sweetheart deal, but at 3.75 million - he has value and could be traded for a winger.

Klein/Koistenen both should be starting, but both are on the outside looking in.

Zanon - a fighter that works hard every night...a cheap 5/6/7 guy that is a solid starter or spot starter.

On the farm: Sulzer (could start in the NHL), Laakso (probably could start in the NHL), Franson (high-end prospect a year away), Blum (high-end prospect), Niskala...

Somebody has to go....
The Pens could take one of them off you if they lose Orpik

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:44 PM
  #17
CtB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Who do you guys think will get more, Suter or Weber?

CtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:14 AM
  #18
sweatypickle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonTheBear View Post
Who do you guys think will get more, Suter or Weber?
lol seriously?

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:20 AM
  #19
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Or you could go out, get a guy like Klein and split the Coburn/Timonen pair and use Timonen with either Parent or Klein and then give Coburn whoever after Timonen decides. I'd rather give a young guy with a boat load of potential the opportunity than just say we need a veteran to fill the spot. Sometimes the best way to see if someone can sink or swim is to throw them off the deep end.....
IF Hatcher doesn't retire maybe I could see that. But I still feel he will and then you'd be looking at.

Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Klein
Jones-Kukkonen

or something like that and I'm not comfortable with that at all.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:24 AM
  #20
CtB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
lol seriously?
Thanks for answering my question. Sorry for not knowing enough about the hockey hotbed that is the Nashville Predators (no offence Pred's fans, I'm quite jealous of your team)

I'm assuming Weber gets more, I guess my question is if Suter gets $4mil-ish, where would that put Weber?

CtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:26 AM
  #21
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonTheBear View Post
Thanks for answering my question. Sorry for not knowing enough about the hockey hotbed that is the Nashville Predators (no offence Pred's fans, I'm quite jealous of your team)

I'm assuming Weber gets more, I guess my question is if Suter gets $4mil-ish, where would that put Weber?
Weber has asked for 5 million ... and that is a rumor ... we'll find out soon whether that is a rumor or not

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:00 AM
  #22
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
Based on performance last year, Suter deserves more, but Weber, if the deal is long-term, will definitely be offered more IMO.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:47 AM
  #23
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Klein has a lot of talent. On any other team, he would be logging a decent amount of minutes. He is one of those guys that does everything well....without something he excels at (although it should be noted that he is probably the quickest blueliners on the Preds).
With the numbers crunch in Nashville, he's actually at the top of my list for defensemen I would like to see Regier make a move for. Not sure on the cost -- I doubt he'd be offering more than a 3rd or 4th rounder, but he fits a lot of what Regier seems to want in defensemen and I can see Kevin being part of a deal to relieve some of Nashville's abundant D.

Edit: Does Zidlicky have a NMC or NTC in his current deal?

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:59 AM
  #24
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Edit: Does Zidlicky have a NMC or NTC in his current deal?
NTC. Dumont, Erat [in '09], Arnott, and Legwand have or will have NMC's.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:03 AM
  #25
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
Zidlicky DOES have a NTC, but I have heard from several people that it expires on July 1st. I'm still unsure on the veracity behind that statement.

As for Klein, he is worth far more than a third round pick as the chances of drafting someone like Klein in the third round are probably around 10%...., but Poile may have squashed his value almost completely.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.