HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Malkin back to Pittsburgh for 8.7 or less

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
  #76
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
I'll be happy if Malkin signs a deal to stay. It will be all the sweeter when the Caps avenge their many playoff losses on the road to their first Cup.
Should make for some nice drama down the road, should those two teams meet in the playoffs.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:41 PM
  #77
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
Should make for some nice drama down the road, should those two teams meet in the playoffs.
That would make a hell of an ECF next season huh?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:14 PM
  #78
yohan1212
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
And we all saw what Pittsburgh did to the rest of the Eastern Conference. Besides, by the time the team finally woke the hell up after the two shutouts the SCF actually become a good competition. The games were all close after that, even the final game almost got tied in the final seconds. All the while having a very unexperienced team and a Goaltender farting pucks into the net. The truth is the AHL scrubs arent half bad and I would be more than happy with a team having the star power that Pittsburgh currently has with "AHL scrubs" filling in the role spots on lines 3 and 4.
its great if they can resign malkin longterm but i think instead of focusing on resigning Hossa they should spend some money on a top 4 d-man..and secondly they didnt have to fill lines 3-4 with ahl scrubs this year. they had some quality players on those lines which they wont be able to do once fleury,malkin, staal etc get the raises they are do...

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
  #79
LongHorn Pen
BTR-ATL Pen
 
LongHorn Pen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA & GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
its great if they can resign malkin longterm but i think instead of focusing on resigning Hossa they should spend some money on a top 4 d-man..and secondly they didnt have to fill lines 3-4 with ahl scrubs this year. they had some quality players on those lines which they wont be able to do once fleury,malkin, staal etc get the raises they are do...
AHL scrubs, huh? Those AHL scrubs pulled the Pens through when Crosby, Talbot, Roberts, and Fleury were injured. Do you have a team to worry about cause you are always chiming in on the Pens? Roberts will probably be out and either Laraque or Ruutu will be as well. Then, those AHL scrubs that were two wins away from the Calder Cup will get their chance. Do you just hate that?

LongHorn Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:47 PM
  #80
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen25 View Post
AHL scrubs, huh? Those AHL scrubs pulled the Pens through when Crosby, Talbot, Roberts, and Fleury were injured. Do you have a team to worry about cause you are always chiming in on the Pens? Roberts will probably be out and either Laraque or Ruutu will be as well. Then, those AHL scrubs that were two wins away from the Calder Cup will get their chance. Do you just hate that?
you missed the negative...his point was that the Pens weren't just stars and AHL scrubs this year, which is something they should look to continue, rather than maxing out their salary cap and leaving little room for depth.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
  #81
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes
 
Alberta Yote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your kitchen
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,996
vCash: 855
TSN "sources" now saying his target is likely 5 years at more than $9 mill per.

"Don't need $8.7" lost in the translation? Sources out to lunch? $8.7 or $9.2, who cares, close to the same?

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
  #82
Marns
@thestretchpass
 
Marns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
TSN "sources" now saying his target is likely 5 years at more than $9 mill per.

"Don't need $8.7" lost in the translation? Sources out to lunch? $8.7 or $9.2, who cares, close to the same?
They also quoted the Pittsburgh "Star-Review".

Look it up.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:07 PM
  #83
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,329
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
you missed the negative...his point was that the Pens weren't just stars and AHL scrubs this year, which is something they should look to continue, rather than maxing out their salary cap and leaving little room for depth.
This years 3rd and 4th line players were all pretty much dirt cheap, and the few that cost a little over 1 million are easily replaced by those AHL prospects. We dont need to sacrifice our superstars to make sure there are a couple of 2 million dollar a year players on our 4th line.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:09 PM
  #84
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,180
vCash: 500
Yeah, like I said earlier it was just lip service.

Sources are now saying Malkin is expected to sign 5 years $45M.

Although $300k shouldn't be something Pittsburgh should be worrying about.
I'd be more concerned of the apparent "Tampa Syndrome" forming.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
  #85
Macbeth
Registered User
 
Macbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Petite-Patrie, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
They also quoted the Pittsburgh "Star-Review".

Look it up.
These guys ?

Bookmarked hockey-insider type of knowledge !

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:38 PM
  #86
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 48,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, like I said earlier it was just lip service.

Sources are now saying Malkin is expected to sign 5 years $45M.
I'm more inclined to believe the source himself, Malkin, over some unnamed informant, who for all we know could be Darren Dreger's butthole.

But to each his own. It suits your agenda to believe the latter.

Quote:
Although $300k shouldn't be something Pittsburgh should be worrying about.
I'd be more concerned of the apparent "Tampa Syndrome" forming.
I'd be more concerned about an increasingly prevalent "inadequate poster syndrome" afflicting HFers lately, wherein the infected party deliberately overlooks everything that makes the Pittsburgh scenario different from Tampa Bay's - namely the better talent and potential for improvement of the 3 players in question, willingness to spend to the cap (not 10 mil below it, like Tampa), and a much better supporting cast of talent - to alleviate their concerns.

It's a purt near epidemic.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:56 PM
  #87
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
The kid is young, why wouldn't he be happy with a little less than Crosby. He signs for for 5 years, get's to stay in Pitt, with Crosby and the others and helps the team out.

Plus he will definitely see one more big contract in his prime. I say he does it and good for him. And let's not kid ourselves, $8 million and change per year is pretty darn good, unfortunately I will never know.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:27 PM
  #88
landfill
Registered User
 
landfill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
did he sign? 5 year 45 million.

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
  #89
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I'm more inclined to believe the source himself, Malkin, over some unnamed informant, who for all we know could be Darren Dreger's butthole.

But to each his own. It suits your agenda to believe the latter.



I'd be more concerned about an increasingly prevalent "inadequate poster syndrome" afflicting HFers lately, wherein the infected party deliberately overlooks everything that makes the Pittsburgh scenario different from Tampa Bay's - namely the better talent and potential for improvement of the 3 players in question, willingness to spend to the cap (not 10 mil below it, like Tampa), and a much better supporting cast of talent - to alleviate their concerns.

It's a purt near epidemic.
A little touchy aren't we? Perhaps reason and logic escape people's minds when they get rabid about their own team.

Those sources you like to disregard come from a few Pittsburgh media sources.

And the Tampa Syndrome is not about the skill level of said players, its about the ability to roll 4 lines with depth.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
  #90
Leroux 66
 
Leroux 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
if we resign malkin and retain our core, fans of every other team will still say we will be just like tampa no matter what, either way you guys have a ridiculous argument and no leg to stand on.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
  #91
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 34,736
vCash: 500
Whether $8.7 million or $9 Million either would be far less than Crosby signed for in the only way that matters to anyone but Mario and Burkle. Given the increase in total salary cap the cap hit on this deal will be more friendly than Crosby's if either figure is accurate. I wish that they would report these figures in percentages of cap hit rather than dollars so the concept could finally sink in for some here.

In any event most from Pittsburgh would be thrilled numbers and expected higher. Nice scrambling by some of the traditional haters-jealous who usually show up to try and make this a bad thing after constantly telling us Malkin was gone and unaffordable.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
  #92
Leroux 66
 
Leroux 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
A little touchy aren't we? Perhaps reason and logic escape people's minds when they get rabid about their own team.

Those sources you like to disregard come from a few Pittsburgh media sources.

And the Tampa Syndrome is not about the skill level of said players, its about the ability to roll 4 lines with depth.
the fact that we hear this type of stuff from other teams fans every day is a bit annoying.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
  #93
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landfill View Post
did he sign? 5 year 45 million.
They can't formally negotiate until after July 1st... I imagine though that it'll be quick and painless, regardless of if it ends up above or below 8.7.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:29 AM
  #94
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 48,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
A little touchy aren't we? Perhaps reason and logic escape people's minds when they get rabid about their own team.
Yes, the reason and logic of believing an unnamed source over a quote straight from the horse's mouth certainly escapes me.

Quote:
And the Tampa Syndrome is not about the skill level of said players, its about the ability to roll 4 lines with depth.
Skill level is absolutely part of it. So is depth.

What enables depth?

Spending to the cap and having a capable support cast in place. Two things Tampa didn't have but Pittsburgh does.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:48 AM
  #95
philthy mcnasty*
 
philthy mcnasty*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Storm
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Malkin deserves and needs to stay in Pittsburgh. Anything less would be plain dumb IMO. I hope Shero locks him up long term and gets the deal done, Pens fans need not worry cuz it ain't gonna be a similar situation to what happened in Tampa at all. Crosby and Malkin down the middle are just that much better. 2 of the top 5 players in the world gives your team huge depth and makes for endless possibilities. History in the making.

People ***** and complain, come up with rumors and want to speculate to the death of it, hate all they want (jealousy), but I say all the more power to them. Great young team and they deserve to succeed, fantastic fanbase and they've been waiting for this opportunity and for this team for a looooong time.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:07 AM
  #96
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
They can't formally negotiate until after July 1st... I imagine though that it'll be quick and painless, regardless of if it ends up above or below 8.7.
Huh?

Malkin is a Penguin. Pittsburgh can negotiate at any time with its own players and their agents.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:13 AM
  #97
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Huh?

Malkin is a Penguin. Pittsburgh can negotiate at any time with its own players and their agents.
actually they cant.

CBA prohibits contract negotiations/extensions until you enter the final year of a contract

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:14 AM
  #98
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,713
vCash: 500
It's funny to read the same stuff that was said about Ovechkin before his extension. Malkin isn't going anywhere. 2nd fiddle to Crosby seems to suit his persona just fine.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:24 AM
  #99
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
actually they cant.

CBA prohibits contract negotiations/extensions until you enter the final year of a contract
Ooops. Thanks, I did not know that.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.