HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Which Flames prospect should be on the team this coming season?

Old
06-12-2008, 06:15 PM
scoringmachine

vCash: 500
Which Flames prospect should be on the team this coming season?

Which Flames prospect do you think will or should be on the Flames come October. Below is a link to all the prospect the Flames have as off June 12, 2008.

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app?servi...&type=prospect

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
BearChi

tell you the truth no one

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Germyn, Peters, Prust and Van Der Gulik will be fighting for 3rd-4th line spots. Pardy or Ramholt can be the 7th d-man if the flames get rid of Eriksson and Warrener. Keetley is a possibility for the backup role if we don't resign McElhinney.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Prust, Pardy, McIlhinney

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Prust, Pardy, McIlhinney
McElhinney only has a few weeks to go before he hits the open market as a UFA. If signed, I would think they would give him the back-up job though since Irving will likely be turning pro.

I'll say only Prust, maybe a guy like Van der Gulik if we don't sign many lower tier UFAs.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
PIMking

Pardy, I saw probably 50 games this year of the baby flames. I have no clue what sutter sees in Prust what so ever. McE should be the back up unless he thinks hes worth more money and a starting nhl job. Stevenson should get a shot to see if he can play a secondary scoring but they have to sign him also. Germyn is streaky Ramholt doesnt fit in Keenans plan. Pelech might jump past Pardy if Pardys foot doenst heal right. I will say that not this year but the next you will probably get to see the next of the sutter seed with his son. He played awesome at the end of the year and Im excited to see how much better he will be next year.

Our Defence is WAY better than fowards so I would think that you will see more of them.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Congo

I think that both Stevenson and Kolanos should be brought up for secondary scoring.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
I think that both Stevenson and Kolanos should be brought up for secondary scoring.
Kolanos isnt going to be anywere near the Calgary franchise. He burned his bridge last year when he would accept the fact he didnt make the big club and wouldnt report to the QC then the QC owners gave him their contract. he wasnt calgary property.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Lunatik*

Kolanos is not signed by the Calgary Flames... they signed him to a tryout contract and he didnt make the club so he was offered a deal with QC... not Calgary... Kolanos is not a prospect anymore and if he was he still wouldn't be our prospect

as for what prospects should make the team... none... Prust is borderline NHL material and he is the best rookie option we have next to Backlund

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:47 AM
LennyV

I'd like to see Prust on the 3rd or 4th line. We could use a pesty player there.

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:17 AM
DBU
Stars

vCash: 50
Thing is, we have a pesty player now, and his name is Phaneuf.

I'd like to see Pardy get some time up here. Stevenson wouldn't be too bad either, I don't think.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Prust, VanderGulik, Pardy and McElhinney for sure. Dark horses are Chucko, Pelch, Baldwin but I would except them maybe the following year with guys like Setsonen and Backlund. Hopefully Ryder get into the mix in 2 years, as well.

For this coming season, Peters, Ramholt and German are loooooooooong shots.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:53 AM
AndersEriksson*

Anyone who will make the team better.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Ticonderoga

No one.

Lets sign some more old men in reclamation projects.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
No one.

Lets sign some more old men in reclamation projects.

Bang on! After all we all know that Sutter dislikes youth and all Flames Prospects are basically crap.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Bang on! After all we all know that Sutter dislikes youth and all Flames Prospects are basically crap.
Aside from Backlund and Irving, can you name any blue-chippers?

Calgary's prospect cupboard is still bare, and if it isn't, then it won't be ready for another 2 years. We're starting to see them filter in to the main lineup, but our prospect depth is nowhere near other teams. We have very little top-six talent / potential. We have a plethora of potential role players in the system, but that's not good enough, IMO.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Abonics

I would say that Pardy has a shot, especially if Warrener/Eriksson get bought out or leave via some other method. Prust could probably play in a pest role on the 4th line. McElhinney should grab the backup role...he prob has the best shot of the 3 of cracking the roster. Everyone else I feel are still longshots.

That being said, I feel that next year will be less about what new faces join the roster and more about the emergence of young flames already on the team. Lombo centering the 2nd line, Boyd playing a larger and more offensive role, a bounce back year for Moss, Nystrom developing further. These young players could have a major impact on the fortunes of the team IMO.

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post

Calgary's prospect cupboard is still bare, and if it isn't, then it won't be ready for another 2 years. We're starting to see them filter in to the main lineup, but our prospect depth is nowhere near other teams. We have very little top-six talent / potential. We have a plethora of potential role players in the system, but that's not good enough, IMO.
I honestly think that Pelech & Negrin will be Gems but I agree with what you say on a whole. The thing is Sutter started with nothing and the Flames seem now to be a point where Sutter can take more risks, we have a base of third/fourth liners and depth D-Men and Goalies (or so we all think who knows maybe there is another hidden Gem in these kids we've all written off as grinders). Now he can risk drafting those risker players, like a Tedenby, IMO.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post

We've picked top 10 once since Sutter has taken over. Blue chippers are elite prospects and you need to be picking in the top 10 to get them. I don't think I would even consider Backlund or Irving blue chip prospects. They are great prospects, but not in the Toews, Stamkos, Kane, E.Johnson, and Carey Price level.

I agree with Hyde. Sutter has got some guys that are going to be players in this league and now he can take some risks. I think the drafting is going in the right direction.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Lunatik*

the reason sutter goes with age is because our prospects are crap... and the ones that arent crap simply arent ready yet... going with youth for the sake of getting younger is a recipe for failure

Old
06-14-2008, 04:05 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
going with youth for the sake of getting younger is a recipe for failure
So is going with Anders Eriksson

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
So is going with Anders Eriksson
No. Playing Eriksson like a top 4 defenseman is a recipe for failure. Having Eriksson as a guy who plays 10-15 minutes isn't.

Old
06-14-2008, 11:41 AM
abracanada

I can resist no longer......Mikael Backlund......if he is ready. If he is ready, that means we have a low cost, top six pairing forward to add to the mix. If he is ready, it clears up some of the concern around the center ice position.

I am going to get flamed unmercifully for that stand, I know. But lets face it folks, for many of you, you know you wanted it. You were just waiting for someone to say it and if I don't miss my guess, most of you figured I was gonna be the guy.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I can resist no longer......Mikael Backlund......if he is ready. If he is ready, that means we have a low cost, top six pairing forward to add to the mix. If he is ready, it clears up some of the concern around the center ice position.

I am going to get flamed unmercifully for that stand, I know. But lets face it folks, for many of you, you know you wanted it. You were just waiting for someone to say it and if I don't miss my guess, most of you figured I was gonna be the guy.
I personally don't think he is ready and Sutter said he won't play in North America until he is ready to play in the top 6... not just be an everyday player... and @ a 1.3 million cap hit I think he is too expensive for 3rd line duties this season

Old
06-14-2008, 05:02 PM
abracanada

I know he is a long shot. But of any players the Flames have waiting in the wings, he is the most talented.

And like I said, he would have to be good enough to get a spot in the top six to do it.

Now I know that the stronger teams do tend to shy away from young players taking key roles in their lineups so if the Flames have enough talented bodies to preclude the youngster from taking a spot, that is okay with me. However, if there is a major shortage of talent at center ice (say if Langkow bolts), and if they are unable to recruit or trade for suitable replacements, the Flames could hardly be described as other than a rebuilding team. It wouldn't be the first time a rookie has been used. Lombardi actually had an excellent year under those circumstances.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote