HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYPost - "Rangers Eye Wheeler"

Old
06-13-2008, 04:31 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

vCash: 500
The Rangers are eye-balling anyone not under contract....Is this really shocking?

Besides the kid centered a line in college with Okposo on his wing. He's already said he want's to play with Okposo. We'll have to see whether the kid gets blinded by the check book in Manhattan.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:35 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
The Rangers are eye-balling anyone not under contract....Is this really shocking?

Besides the kid centered a line in college with Okposo on his wing. He's already said he want's to play with Okposo. We'll have to see whether the kid gets blinded by the check book in Manhattan.
Thank you for your objective opinion

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The Rangers are eye-balling anyone not under contract.
Hard to believe that this is limited to the Rangers. Most teams are (or should be) looking at any player not under contract. I would also venture a guess that the Rangers are looking at guys under contract. Its called the offseason.

06-13-2008, 05:07 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:

i dont get how the rangers can "blind him with the check book"

its an entry level contract......the max is the same for all teams......

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Typical Isles fan "wah, the big bad team in the City has more money than us, wah".

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
i dont get how the rangers can "blind him with the check book"

its an entry level contract......the max is the same for all teams......
As it is we got a opening on the 2nd line -- a RW position next to Scott Gomez.

If we can blindside him with anything its Scott Gomez. Fabian Brunnström was down to looking at teams that "gauranteed" him a spot in the NHL. Toronto "gauranteed" Niklas Strålman a spot in the NHL, Niklas otherwise wanted to stay in the SEL one more year (a promise Toronto didn't keep).

I think Wheeler is really intriguing. I've seen that kid play a bit and he is really talented -- but I haven't seen enough to say for sure either way.

But I am defenitly not swalloing everything negative said about him. There are sooo many experts out there who is looking to trash high ranked players who doesn't completely live up to their drafting position/salary or whatever. Last season Zedno Chara was one of the worst signings ever, he was so overrated and Wade Redden was so much better then him. This season Wade Redden isn't even worth 3m per while Chara carried Boston alone basically to the PO's. Like there is no middle ground on these subjects.

Blake Wheeler isn't the next Evgeni Malkin -- I can watch him play for 5 minutes and tell you that. But IMO he defenitly isn't RJ Umberger either. Wheeler is really skilled. He isn't soft either. Just because he isn't a punishing forward doesn't take away a squat from the fact that he is big and strong and potentially very hard to knock of the puck. Blake Wheeler is a top notch talent -- who really haven't become a top notch player yet.

I really think we should offer him gold and green forrest, because I am pretty sure a team like Detroit will for example... From my perspective Blake Wheeler is allot closer to Steve Brenier then Hugh Jessiman.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

maybe getting Blake will make up for drafting Huge Speciman

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers have nothing to lose by signing Wheeler and I hope they do sign him. Sather/Renney can make a pitch to Wheeler that he could earn a spot in training camp to play on a good young team. The Rangers can also to point to the lineups the team has dressed over the past 3 seasons and show a pattern of kids earning a spot in the lineup...

Should the Rangers sign Wheeler?

Yes..

Will Wheeler be a good NHL player?

I don't know but he is sure going to have a LOT of scrutiny no matter where he signs.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:53 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Squish, just curious why do you feel he is over hyped?
Because Rangers fans like to compare him to Ovechkin and/or Malkin, both of whom I consider generational talents. And I just don't believe he's in that category.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:29 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Toronto would take him at #7 no matter the Transfer Agreement
and you have this on what authority?

Most thought Cherry would go top 5, some top 3 yet he fell out of the top 10.

Do I see Nikita falling to 17th like Cherry? Absolutely not, but I could easily see him fall to 10th

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
pld459666

Quote:

Just because Okposo had the misfortune of being drafted by the Islanders doesn't mean that Wheeler would be so dumb as to actually sign there.

As for the money comment, you couldn't be more clueless could you? It's not like the Rangers could offer him more than anyone else. His salary is going to be capped, but a smart guy like you would know that....right?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Because Rangers fans like to compare him to Ovechkin and/or Malkin, both of whom I consider generational talents. And I just don't believe he's in that category.
Wait, was the question about Filitov or Cherepanov

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:

Do you really want to go there?

First off since your so knowledgeable let me fill you in on one little detail, its an ELC (entry level contract) therefore the max is the same for all teams.

Now just because your Islanders are on the blink and management refuses to spend on FA's is not the Rangers problem and therefore should not be criticized whenever Slats and Co. does break out Dolans checkbook.

Second, if you really stand by your comment, then what your saying is the Isles cant even afford to match an ELC max? I knew that franchise was in dismay I just had no idea it was that bad.

Go back to your own board or at least while your here don't try and troll/bait us....

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
and you have this on what authority?

Most thought Cherry would go top 5, some top 3 yet he fell out of the top 10.

Do I see Nikita falling to 17th like Cherry? Absolutely not, but I could easily see him fall to 10th
Its common knowledge. No other team had the patience to be able to wait on this kid for a year or two.

Toronto would have, its what was being talked about the entire night of that first round draft. Pierre saying how JFJ got a great goaltender but missed the oppertunity on a world class talent when he traded that pick... yada yada yada.

If Filatov does not fall it could be a potential hint that maybe either A chere is not as good as we think, or B. Filatov is just that much better and it had nothing to do with the transfer agreement.

Although I doubt Filatov will go at #2-5 and will drop a bit, the Rangers will not be as fortunate enough to grab him at 20.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:55 AM
alucard

Cherepanov was under contract in the RSL, and instead of having a Malkin type situation on their hands GMs instead chose not to draft Cherepanov to save themselves the headache or potential embarassment if him never came over and them wasted a pick. Filatov is not under contract and is coming over next year to play in NA. Filatov might as well be Canadian for all it matters, he is going to head over to NA to play and by the way he speaks english quite well. If you are a GM interviewing Filatov and not only is he telling you he plans on playing in NA next year, but he is doing this without a translator I think is a pretty good indication that he isn't a risky pick.

edit:I too highly doubt Filatov drops that much, too much skill from what I read and again the desire to play in NA

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I agree he is not a generational talent.

But, that does not mean he is over hyped.

I think the people comparing him to Ovechkin or Malkin (who are two completely different players from each other to begin with) as a player, are just a little uninformed.

However, he is not over hyped for what he is, and that is a highly skilled, goal scoring winger, that is a top line talent. And he is developing other intangible qualities.

For a 17 to 19 year old player to score like he has in the RSL, it is impressive. And he emerged as more then just a scorer, he sets up his linemates, he beats defensemen to pucks, he carried Omsk in the playoffs, so some on ice leadership qualities have emerged this year. Especially impressive for a young player in the RSL.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The Rangers have nothing to lose by signing Wheeler and I hope they do sign him. Sather/Renney can make a pitch to Wheeler that he could earn a spot in training camp to play on a good young team. The Rangers can also to point to the lineups the team has dressed over the past 3 seasons and show a pattern of kids earning a spot in the lineup...

Should the Rangers sign Wheeler?

Yes..

Will Wheeler be a good NHL player?

I don't know but he is sure going to have a LOT of scrutiny no matter where he signs.
Bingo.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote