HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcus Naslund

Old
06-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Uwey

vCash: 500
Marcus Naslund

There seems to be a lot of talk about Marcus Naslund's days in Vancouver being done.

IMO, I would rather Gainey look at Naslund as opposed to Hossa or Selanne. In the case of Hossa, Naslund would cost less & could be signed for a shorter term.

In the case of Selanne, I feel Naslund would probably have more left in the tank than Teemu.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Kirk Muller

Watching Naslund probably 80 times over the last few seasons show me he is all but done at least in the NHL. He looks like a guy whose lost his willingness to compete.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
Watching Naslund probably 80 times over the last few seasons show me he is all but done at least in the NHL. He looks like a guy whose lost his willingness to compete.
Maybe he just fed up playing in Nucksville???

The same things were said of Selanne several of years ago as well, but he proved all the nah sayers wrong.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post

The same things were said of Selanne several of years ago as well, but he proved all the nah sayers wrong.

That's because Selanne's knee was holding him back. He got healthy and returned to being the player he was before.

Naslund is down to a 55-65 point player with no drive. If he goes somewhere where he has no leadership responsibilities whatsoever he could be okay. Selanne has a lot more to offer though.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of talk about Marcus Naslund's days in Vancouver being done.

IMO, I would rather Gainey look at Naslund as opposed to Hossa or Selanne. In the case of Hossa, Naslund would cost less & could be signed for a shorter term.

In the case of Selanne, I feel Naslund would probably have more left in the tank than Teemu.
living in vancouver, I have seen my fair share of naslund over the last few years. Trust me, you dont want him. Naslund doesn't bring anything that the habs need. The habs have enough of the naslund type of players. They need more power, and muscle.

Not to mention, naslund's game has declined since bertuzzi left.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

Except Selanne has been and always was a much better player then Naslund.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:54 PM
bipolarhabfan

I have watched many nuck games over the past few season and see a player that is on the cusp of retirement. He does not have the drive anymore and would not bring much that we do not already have. Ideally, a player like Brian Rolston would be a better fit.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
He's too much money for too little production.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Depends price and term. Selanne is without a doubt a better choice, however, as a plan B, Naslund's alright but i wouldn't give him much. I'd prob use him in a 2nd line offensive role...at best.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 06:51 PM
goldglove

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Naslund
Latendresse - Chipchura - Kostitsyn
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Redden - Gorges

Not a bad team.

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Naslund
Latendresse - Chipchura - Kostitsyn
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Redden - Gorges

Not a bad team.
5 years ago, having Naslund and Redden on our team would have been awesome, but those two guys are on a big decline.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:31 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

i wouldn't say he is "done" or doesn't have it anymore

but i would say he is done with the system Vancouver played....look at the point drop since coach AV has come aboard....

2 years before AV came in.......84pts...79 points....

2 years while AV has been coach......60pts and 55pts

i would like to see him go somewhere else and do well...but i think his time has gone here.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As much as I like Marcus Naslund (very big canucks fan go Luongo! see my avatar xD), he doesn't have much to offer to Montreal... He should stay in Vancouver or hang up his skates.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:38 PM
sampollock

mtl needs HEART, and a guy not scared,

bob should pass on this marcus.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:47 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post

First - I have seem Naslund play a lot more than you. I have seen almost every game Naslund has ever played as a Canuck and will say this - he is simply not an effective NHL captain and that hurt the Canucks. But that's the worst I can say about him. His skills are not what they were in the heyday of the WCE but he still can be a top six winger in the right situation and should put up 25 goals easy. With the right centre and in the right system he could put up 30 to 35 goals. In Vancouver he lost his desire partly because he was being asked to play more of a defensive game than he wanted to and he just didn't have a skilled centre and a big winger to play with. His career is a long way from being over and I hope he signs with a team like Montreal and is rejuvinated. He's a good guy and still a hell of a player.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Selanne is a better bet than Naslund. I saw them both a lot last year, particularly Selanne (live near Anaheim now).

Naslund can still compete but he will ask for big money and a multi-year deal. If Selanne does not retire or stay in Anaheim, he'll be looking for a place where he can hoist the Cup possibly and do it on the (relative) cheap for a one-year deal.

Hossa at anything under $8M is a better bet than either guy at any money IMO. I know Gainey doesn't like to open the checkbook that wide but they have the money and this year's playoffs showed they are still not quite there with this group of young guys.

06-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
First - I have seem Naslund play a lot more than you. I have seen almost every game Naslund has ever played as a Canuck and will say this - he is simply not an effective NHL captain and that hurt the Canucks. But that's the worst I can say about him. His skills are not what they were in the heyday of the WCE but he still can be a top six winger in the right situation and should put up 25 goals easy. With the right centre and in the right system he could put up 30 to 35 goals. In Vancouver he lost his desire partly because he was being asked to play more of a defensive game than he wanted to and he just didn't have a skilled centre and a big winger to play with. His career is a long way from being over and I hope he signs with a team like Montreal and is rejuvinated. He's a good guy and still a hell of a player.
Agreed, I actually thought Vancouver should have moved him after last year. The primary reason is that they needed depth in their forward mix and could have gotten pretty good return for him despite being in his mid-30s, but I also felt like they needed a shakeup and the biggest shakeup you can have is moving your captain. There are a number of very capable European captains to be sure but I have never counted Naslund among them.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster81 View Post
i wouldn't say he is "done" or doesn't have it anymore

but i would say he is done with the system Vancouver played....look at the point drop since coach AV has come aboard....

2 years before AV came in.......84pts...79 points....

2 years while AV has been coach......60pts and 55pts

i would like to see him go somewhere else and do well...but i think his time has gone here.
That was exactly what I was going to post. A fast young firewagon team is EXACTLY what Naslund wants right now. I recall an interview with him where he said "I need to be on a fast, offensive oriented team next season".

If we can get Naslund I'll be smiling ear to ear. If we get Naslund and Sundin, I will attempt to do a backflip and probably hurt myself.

I said it once and I'll say it again, if we somehow by the grace of God land these two players, the amount of leadership, experience and veteran presence combined with the skill, speed and eagerness of the young guns should result in a terrifyingly good mix.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:53 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothWithTheBiscuit View Post
Selanne is a better bet than Naslund. I saw them both a lot last year, particularly Selanne (live near Anaheim now).

Naslund can still compete but he will ask for big money and a multi-year deal. If Selanne does not retire or stay in Anaheim, he'll be looking for a place where he can hoist the Cup possibly and do it on the (relative) cheap for a one-year deal.

Hossa at anything under $8M is a better bet than either guy at any money IMO. I know Gainey doesn't like to open the checkbook that wide but they have the money and this year's playoffs showed they are still not quite there with this group of young guys.
you will never KEEP or LURE a player, of BIG talent, unless you pay.

Old
06-14-2008, 09:06 PM
znk

Not with a 10 foot pole.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Koivu84*

Who's Marcus Naslund?

Koivu84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:11 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
Who's Marcus Naslund?
sorry, fingers don't move well

lol

Old
06-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

I suppose that Naslund could be fairly productive if placed on a offensive oriented team. He had some pretty good stretches for Vancouver last season and wasn't as horrible as some people are saying. He definitely isn't a 6 million dollar player anymore and that really influenced some people's judgement of him. He can't carry a line anymore but should be good for 50-65 points next year on the second line. Naslund would be a pretty good project at less than 3 million a season. If he can get his wicked shot back, a PP duo of Kovalev/Naslund would be scary.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Naslund is absolutely pathetic, and would be eaten alive by the Montreal media/fans who wouldn't put up with his crappy, uninspired play. The Vancouverites who still think he's a good player are clearly blind and oblivious to his massive decline. They are clearly still living in the past when he was a good player.

The guy is a lousy captain, cant get the job done in the playoffs, and now cant even get the job done in the regular season. Save yourselves the headache.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:52 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
Naslund is absolutely pathetic, and would be eaten alive by the Montreal media/fans who wouldn't put up with his crappy, uninspired play. The Vancouverites who still think he's a good player are clearly blind and oblivious to his massive decline. They are clearly still living in the past when he was a good player.

The guy is a lousy captain, cant get the job done in the playoffs, and now cant even get the job done in the regular season. Save yourselves the headache.
This is so typical of your stupid, self righteous posts. Your act is wearing very thin.

Naslund absolutely pathetic ? What an igorant thing to say.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote