HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

SCF Gm.3: Tampa Bay Lightning @ Calgary Flames l Flames 3-0 l Flames Lead 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 01:08 AM
Snakeeye

vCash: 500
Bullcrap, and you know it.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:09 AM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan

No that has NOTHING with it to do trust me it has NOTHING with it to do
Forgive us if we take pretty much every single post you've made in the last few threads like this and not believe you. None so blind as those who will not see.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:24 AM
iggy12

The Flames were able to play their game tonight and it showed the Stars of the Lightning were kept to the outside for the most part throughout the game. Leopold played his best game of the series looking forward to monday night.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Flycoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
It is Sopel. You can even see the sweat on players' faces. You really should try it.
Our HD cable feed in Tampa kept breaking up, had to switch over to the usual telecast. HD, when the feed is good, is amazing. Unfortunately, BrightHouse's feed sucks for the ABC, CBS, and HBO feeds. They don't even carry the NBC feed. But the feed for the few HD games by Sunshine for the 10 Lightning games was, for the most part, excellent. Discovery and TNT feeds are good too, but not much I watch on either.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:38 AM
Flycoon*

Quote:
Anyone here watch HD sports? It's quite the experience. You can see facial expressions, blades of grass on a football field, etc. It's amazing what you catch with HD television. You should try it sometime. It's painful to watch hockey without it.
Yes it is.

Old
05-30-2004, 02:20 AM
petec1978*

Quote:
How many odd man rushes did you count tonight?
Only 2 or 3. Kudos to Donovan for burying the one he got... but as John Davidson pointed out on the broadcast it was the first one they got all game.

And the official scoring count chance for game one was 9 for Calgary, which is why your "They had at least 5 shorthanded alone." statement rung hollow in my view.

-Pete Choquette

Old
05-30-2004, 02:50 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy12
The Flames were able to play their game tonight and it showed the Stars of the Lightning were kept to the outside for the most part throughout the game. Leopold played his best game of the series looking forward to monday night.
Couldn't agree more. Typical Flames game tonight. Keep the opposition's chances to a minimum, and capatalize on their own opportunities. Turning point had to be Donovan's goal, because the Flames had to weather a Tampa flurry for two minutes before getting that odd man rush that Donovan scored on. Tampa I didn't think played very poorly at all. Calgary just played their game to a T.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Sorry that is how Calgary plays. It's going to be an ugly game, because otherwise Tampa will simply kill them if they actually play hockey.

BTW, I guess Iginla isn't as tough as I thought since he couldn't even take out Vincent in a one-on-one fight. That was funny to watch.
What the hell are you talking about? No one domianted the fight but if you didn't see Iginla get the decision over Vinny, please, take Frasier and go get your eyes checked together! Or better yet, do like some detroit fan did and do a punch count.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:11 AM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Are you kidding? This is what the Flames do all the time. Stiffling illegal defense that results in scoring chances the other way... except the Lightning are doing it back.

Result?

2, count'em, TWO!!!! shots by the Flames.

I bet the NHL is so happy they let the "players" decide the game instead of the Refs doing their ****ing jobs!! :mad:

Thank you. Because we all know Jovo, Malik, and Sopel do everything by the book.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:23 AM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
I wonder if Flames are the dirties team to ever reach the SCF
Close. Second to the lightning in my opinion. I've never seen so many blatent elbows to the head as I did in game one, and Andre Roy is a disgrace.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99
Well this "mediocre" team is 2 victories from a Stanley Cup.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
A mediocre team has taken out the top 3 seeds in the west.
A mediocre team chalked up 94 points and a 6 seed in the West with there starting goalie missing 6 weeks of the season due to injury.
A mediocre team leads the Eastern Conference 1st seed champions 2-1 in a Stanley Cup final.

If that's mediocrity, I will take it in spades thanks.

That's a great post. Regardless of who you like, you have to respect the scoreboard. This is good hockey , and maybe you didn't enjoy last year's final, but you have to respect what Calgary has accomplished this year. Most people just attribute Calgary's success to bounces and other team's not brining their A game, but I doubt Calgary has been lucky like that 110 since last September.

Old
05-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
Close. Second to the lightning in my opinion. I've never seen so many blatent elbows to the head as I did in game one, and Andre Roy is a disgrace.
Pretty amusing to hear fairy tales like this. But whatever makes the shoe fit

Old
05-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
It's not hockey, but they are 2 wins away from a Stanley cup? Man your posts are starting to get tiresome, you rank, biased baby. It's right what people say, success breeds jealousy. Man oh man.
Jealous, baaah, oh i am so jealous that we dont have a goonbrigade yup thats right i am jealous about that.

Old
05-30-2004, 08:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd love for my team to play as physical as the Flames, just without the end of every game they lose antics. They have atleast 2 guys on every single shift that finishes their checks.

Although the hit wasn't "clean" it wasn't boarding, but Regehr did have hold os his arm which did lead to the injury, but Regehr didn't do it on purpose, it happens sometimes.

Is Regehr going to have to answer the bell now though?

Old
05-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupBound
Oh and another thing, could enyone explain why the Angels from TB had Roy and all of their biggest players on the ice to end the game? I found that interesting, but thanks to Sutter sending out Simon, Oliwa and Regehr nothing happened.

What was Roy doing there to fininsh the game? Trying to break the shut out?
Yah LOL...

Coach: Andre, I want you to send a message.
Roy: but coach there are 3 of them.
Coach: Vinny? :lol

Old
05-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec1978
Only 2 or 3. Kudos to Donovan for burying the one he got... but as John Davidson pointed out on the broadcast it was the first one they got all game.

And the official scoring count chance for game one was 9 for Calgary, which is why your "They had at least 5 shorthanded alone." statement rung hollow in my view.

-Pete Choquette
Odd man rushes don't always result in scoring chances do they? Where did you get the 'offical' scoring chance count from? I don't believe there is such a thing.

In any case, Calgary's speed has been a factor in this series and it has been underrated by you and many of your fellow TB fans.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Hellsempire

Kippersoff was very lucky last night and two of the three goals by the Fl;ames were bad goals given up by Khabibulin. It won't happen in Game 4 as Tampa Bay will even up the series 2-2. Tampa Bay has not lost back to back games since March 21st. This series is most likely going 7 games...

Old
05-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Tampa Bay has not lost back to back games since March 21st. This series is most likely going 7 games...
I like your logic very much. They have been in a win-loss streak for 10 straight games now. With that logic, Flames win the Cup in 7.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:02 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
It's one thing to have passion about a game or your team, but when the day ends...it's a game, and it's meant to be fun.
Apparently there are only a few of us who feel this way.

It's a game. And it's meant to be fun, but it's not. Not as much as it could be, anyway.

Athletes in general and NHL players in particular have always been competitive, and the win-at-all-costs mentality is nothing new. These guys take this stuff seriously. And that's fine. But there was a time when the men charged with keeping them in line took their jobs seriously, too. That time has clearly passed.

Today's hockey (neo-hockey) appeals almost exclusively to testosterone-fueled teenage boys who think a good game is one in which a brawl breaks out, blood spills and at least one player has their career ended or, at least, irrevocably altered.

I enjoy a bone-rattling bodycheck as much as the next person -- when it's properly (read: cleanly) executed. I have no problem with physical play when it doesn't violate the rules of the game. And especially when it's not "dirty."

After all, the rules are in place for a reason. The actions adjudged as illegal give one player and his team an unfair advantage over another. Back in my day, we called this "cheating." It's an antiquated term now, of course.

But these days hockey rules are enforced sort of like traffic violations. Most of the time you can speed, cut corners, pass in the median or what-have-you, and even if there is a police officer around there's a good chance he won't give you a ticket. Why?

Well, there are several theories. Some think they're just lazy. Some think they've come to accept these things because "everybody does it." Some think an action isn't worth punishing when it's not hurting anyone.

We hear the same stuff about NHL officials:

"If they called every infraction, the entire game would just be an endless parade of players to the penalty box and we'd have one 60-minute powerplay."

"There's no need to call every infraction unless it's unsafe."

Well, when is something unsafe? When someone gets hurt?

It's sort of like the argument about dangerous intersections: Does someone have to die before they install a traffic signal?

In the NHL, someone had to die before goalies started wearing masks. Someone had to die before skaters started wearing helmets. Someone had to die before they put up nets to protect the fans.

Does someone have to die before they start calling the game by its rules again? Something tells me Ruslan Fedotenko's mangled face isn't going to be enough.

But make no mistake, Fedotenko's horrifying injury was the direct result of a gradual, decades-long erosion of hockey's rules. Rhett Warrener clearly held Fedotenko's left arm behind him as he drove him into the boards. Holding? Boarding? By today's neo-hockey standards, it's neither. By any reasonable interpretation of the rule book, it's both. Take your pick.

I'm not blaming Warrener. It's a play he's made hundreds of times. It's a play every other NHL defenseman has made, too.

Because nobody's ever told him not to. Nobody has ever penalized him for it, at least not on a consistent basis. How can he be expected not to try it again and again?

It's win-at-all-costs, remember?

But that doesn't make the play unsafe. And this is why it's important to call those minor, seemingly-insignificant rules infractions. If you ignore them long enough, this is what you get. The NHL has ignored them, to varying degrees, for decades now. Is neo-hockey too far gone? I'm afraid so. Reigning things in at this point seems impossible. Which is why we get the "endless parade to the penalty box" arguments in favor of the status quo.

I fully expect to get lambasted by testosterone-fueled teenage boys and/or young men (which seems to be an apt description of the average HF user), who will no doubt accuse me of (1) being a pansy, (2) wearing a skirt, (3) needing to grow a pair, and/or (4) having no understanding of the game, and who will furthermore encourage me to shift my attentions to the sport of figure skating. I also expect to hear from Van, who will go on and on about (1) "game management," and (2) how the rule book isn't black-and-white, it's just a set of guidelines and the officials need to be able to use their judgment. (To the former, I say "phooey"; to the latter, I say, "I agree, however, I strongly question their judgment.") I also expect to be dimissed by Calgary Flames fans, who will call my comments "sour grapes" and call me a "whining baby."

But the truth is I'm just a longtime hockey fan. One who's tired of seeing supremely talented athletes have their careers ruined year after year after year. One who's seen what hockey can be, and sees what it is, and thinks the difference is shameful. One who's old enough to remember when the game used to be what it was meant to be: fun.

So go ahead and make fun of me. Laugh it up. It's the neo-hockey way.

But it's still only a game.

Last edited by joeminus: 05-30-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old
05-30-2004, 01:37 PM
PEli*

Quote:
Pretty amusing to hear fairy tales like this. But whatever makes the shoe fit
You are more entertaining this year than you were last year.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Calgary plays a physical brand of hockey. If that's considered being a "Team full of Goon's" then they are guilty as charged The Flames were very physical last night, even more so than any other game so far in the finals, which is a big reason they won. But I don't recall any goon like actions last night by anyone on the Flames.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Good job, guys.

Impressive, once more.

Closed Thread