HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gorges - I don't get it

Old
06-14-2008, 03:18 PM
chitownhabsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
How old is this guy?
The answer can be found in at least two locations on the Internet...

The gateway would be...http://www.nhl.com/ and then select the Habs logo. Once at the web site, click on Team and Roster and look it up.

He'll be 24 in August, DOB = 08/14/84 (mm/dd/yy) or 14/08/84 (dd/mm/yy).

Another path is: http://www.hockeydb.com/ and this applies for any hockey player, not only NHL, but all the leagues. A very powerful hockey database, check it out for the information it provides and store it as a favourite/bookmark.

As for Josh, considering how old he is, he should be in the AHL getting lots of ice time so he can gain the experience and become more valuable to the Habs and himself. Actually, IMO, Habs management is failing him by not having him play on a regular basis during the entire season in the AHL. He is getting very little benefit/experience by being with the Habs and playing on an interim basis.

Only if Habs management has tried to waive him so he can play in the AHL and he was claimed and then withdrawn have they selected the correct option for him from their POV.

So, his career isn't exactly on the right track at the present time.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 04:23 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
.920 in regular season, .901 in playoffs. Some sieves are finer than others.

Yes Biron was better but this guy is 20 and he will learn.
I am totally satisfied with his first season.

If we only score a few goals against Biron.
.. If we score a few on Biron, then Price lets in 20 in 4 games against Pittsburgh.

There was no need to head in to the playoffs with a 20 year old as our #1.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 05:34 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Nothing is telling us that!

Among the top 10 goalers with best Save%, Fleury (23) and Price (21 now) are the youngest. After that we have to go to Bryzgalov (28) and Ellis (28). After that they are all over 30 years old.
What I am saying is that Price is already at that level despite his young age.

Also, nothing tells us that he would not have played better against the Pens. It is all about what is in your head. He already has the right attitude, the only need is to transport this in all his games.
The visit to Hamilton last year was good to clear his head. He came back to himself.

Of course, some of these goaler are playing 70+ games (Brodeur for one). BTW, Osgood is not there. But in the case of Price, we should expect a little bit more than 50 games next year.

This is our #1 goaler. He is already getting Huet results.
Melanson told him to exercice in the Gymnasium and have a better control of his emotions. Until he gets better control of his emotions, he will need a break from time to time.

He will be #1 in next playoffs unless Halak is able to push him out of his job (and he will have two rounds of experience). Next season, I expect to see Halak take over for two or three games at a time. Giving Price a break.

I agree with the Habs management decision.

I also think that we will soon see that the more he his busy, the better he is. When he gets in his bubble, he is pretty good.
Read Prices comments after the Philly series. He admitted he was physically and mentally drained and didnt have anything left in the tank.

It was a poor decision... end of story.

Old
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
He lasted one more round than Huet. That we can tell.

Nothing tells us that Huet would have done better against Boston.
Price was very good in the first round.

(((but yes, I think that Huet would have done better job but not enough to win against Biron... would have been in 6 or 7))).

Hindsight is 20/20. GM decisions should be judged a few years after the fact. Can't we wait 12 months?

Without Hossa, the Habs would not have win the Cup this year.
Too many players were new to the playoffs. We will have a better chance next year.

He admitted he was drained and Melanson took good notice of this.
Exactly... we had a lot of young players who played because they were the best options.

In Prices case (who is 20, not 21, 22, 23... 20) he was not head and shoulders above Huet and yet they insisted on giving him the ball and hoping he didnt fumble it. Well guess what, he fumbled. In the big picture, was it absolutely necessary to start this kid in the playoffs at 20 years of age? Would one playoff season of being on the bench, gathering it all in, and getting some much needed rest really of cost this kid anything? Of course not... and if Huet had played awful we could of gotten Carey a game or two. It was a very irresponsible move.

Old
06-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Gorges is pretty average and we should get rid of him. The same goes for Bouillon, Streit and Brisebois.

Our top four next season should be Komisarek, Markov, O'Byrne and Hammer. Then we should get a D by trade and give Valentanko the spot for 6th D.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:30 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Gorges is pretty average and we should get rid of him. The same goes for Bouillon, Streit and Brisebois.

Our top four next season should be Komisarek, Markov, O'Byrne and Hammer. Then we should get a D by trade and give Valentanko the spot for 6th D.
Wich is way more than we can say about most bottom pairing D in the whole league...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:31 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Exactly... we had a lot of young players who played because they were the best options.

In Prices case (who is 20, not 21, 22, 23... 20) he was not head and shoulders above Huet and yet they insisted on giving him the ball and hoping he didnt fumble it. Well guess what, he fumbled. In the big picture, was it absolutely necessary to start this kid in the playoffs at 20 years of age? Would one playoff season of being on the bench, gathering it all in, and getting some much needed rest really of cost this kid anything? Of course not... and if Huet had played awful we could of gotten Carey a game or two. It was a very irresponsible move.
I agree...this was irresponsible. We could have wait a year. I figure Gainey was pretty sure he could land Hossa and would have included the second in the trade offer(the trasher may have been more interested in a second draft pick instead of Huet)...The bright side is Price got some playoff experience...that can't be bad. The point is Huet wouldn't have scored against Philly...

As you said, Price was 20. Goaltending is the hardest position to play. In the hardest city to play in. He looked pretty shaky to me during the playoffs. I still don't think he can win us a cup next year. At least not by himself. He'll have a very good team in front of him though. I just don't know what to think.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:37 AM
jcpenny

Quote:

Gorges is a pretty good utility Dman and hes not expensive. Hes exactly what youre looking for for a bottom pairing guy. We also noticed that if one of the top D gets injured, he can step up and do a good job. However, i do agree with you on Bouillon, Streit and Brisebois.

One guy i'd like see on our blue line is Rozival. He wouldnt command top dollars (he doesnt have the stats to bck it up) and he would fit nicely in our top four making our D one of the best in the league.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:

What you can't seem to understand is that there was absolutely no way in hell we were going to win the cup with a team with such little playoff experience, so what was gainey supose to do? give the job to our 20 year old bluechip #1 goalie prospect or to go with a goalie who' never won anything in his life AND who was for sure leaving us come july 1st? think for a second before you post next time please...
Pam19 is right

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Too bad betterwithage got himself banned. Guess we'll never know if he did get better with age.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:20 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Gorges is a pretty good utility Dman and hes not expensive. Hes exactly what youre looking for for a bottom pairing guy. We also noticed that if one of the top D gets injured, he can step up and do a good job. However, i do agree with you on Bouillon, Streit and Brisebois.

One guy i'd like see on our blue line is Rozival. He wouldnt command top dollars (he doesnt have the stats to bck it up) and he would fit nicely in our top four making our D one of the best in the league.
Exactly, some seems to forget that he's the #5/6 D and that if he were any better he would be a 3rd or 4th D and ask for more $

Pretty sure that if we look around the league we'll see that other 5th or 6th D men are no better, they're...

We should be pretty happy that a 5th/6th D like Gorges happen to be solid enough to play alongside Markon on the 1st pair for few games...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
What you can't seem to understand is that there was absolutely no way in hell we were going to win the cup with a team with such little playoff experience, so what was gainey supose to do? give the job to our 20 year old bluechip #1 goalie prospect or to go with a goalie who' never won anything in his life AND who was for sure leaving us come july 1st? think for a second before you post next time please...
Pam19 is right
So what if you dont win the cup... at least you dont make Carey go through that quagmire of a series. A series in which he came out of admittedly drained. Hell, 4 months earlier this was a kid who was crying after a regular season loss. Putting him in that pressure cooker at 20 was ridiculous and the results spoke for themselves; he failed. Then again I dont recall giving you permission to speak to why am I answering to such a nonsensical post?

Old
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Read Prices comments after the Philly series. He admitted he was physically and mentally drained and didnt have anything left in the tank.

It was a poor decision... end of story.
End of story? How is your opinion the end of discussion on the matter?

I was more than OK with the trade and I REALLY liked Huet alot. In this town, and particularly in your case, hindsight makes a genius out of anybody.

Last season Gainey was crucified for not getting anything in return for Souray at trade deadline. Now he moves a UFA we were not going to resign and he's irresponsible?

Price needed to learn through experience this season to be better next season. End of story.

What's with the shield and insulation to keep Price from crying anyway? If he has to cry to get better let him cry. Who cares? He is going to do better and be more prepared for the future and he wouldn't of done that with Huet holding his paciifer between periods and singing him lullabies. What kind of sissy do you think Price is anyway?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:23 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
End of story? How is your opinion the end of discussion on the matter?

I was more than OK with the trade and I REALLY liked Huet alot. In this town, and particularly in your case, hindsight makes a genius out of anybody.

Last season Gainey was crucified for not getting anything in return for Souray at trade deadline. Now he moves a UFA we were not going to resign and he's irresponsible?

Price needed to learn through experience this season to be better next season. End of story.

What's with the shield and insulation to keep Price from crying anyway? If he has to cry to get better let him cry. Who cares? He is going to do better and be more prepared for the future and he wouldn't of done that with Huet holding his paciifer between periods and singing him lullabies. What kind of sissy do you think Price is anyway?
In 2006-2007 the team was falling apart down the stretch and would of been better served cutting their losses.

2007-2008 the team was a team on the rise getting positive experiences from many angles. Was a late 2nd rounder two years down the road really worth watching Carey fall apart against Philly?

Old
06-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
In 2006-2007 the team was falling apart down the stretch and would of been better served cutting their losses.

2007-2008 the team was a team on the rise getting positive experiences from many angles. Was a late 2nd rounder two years down the road really worth watching Carey fall apart against Philly?
I'd rather have Price fall apart now and gain valuable experience than next year when we go into the season as a legitimate contender in the East.

Without Price we don't end up first in the East and possibly don't get past the first round of the playoffs, I like how people like you only talk about the bad games he had but you don't bring up how dominating he was at the end of the regular season and how he was excellent for all but one game in the first round as a 20 year old starter.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I'd rather have Price fall apart now and gain valuable experience than next year when we go into the season as a legitimate contender in the East.

Without Price we don't end up first in the East and possibly don't get past the first round of the playoffs, I like how people like you only talk about the bad games he had but you don't bring up how dominating he was at the end of the regular season and how he was excellent for all but one game in the first round as a 20 year old starter.
Lets remember

Game 4 1-0 victory.... Anytime you win a game 1-0 you owe your goalie big time.... Price won that critical game for us.

Game 7, when it really counted another Shutout win.
Go back and watch the tape... The Bruins outplayed us in the first period of Game 7. It easily could've been 2-1 or 3-1 Boston after 20 minutes of play, instead the habs were up 1-0. Carey kept us in the lead and kept Boston off the board until our offence woke up and we dominated the second and third periods.

With the bruins winning games 5 and 6, a first period lead for them would've been huge... It would've been a different game and we may not have won it.... Gotta give Carey credit for the Shutout in that one.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Richybaby

Quote:

This dude is crazy...

Gorges is younger then O'Byrne and already better

Get a D by trade ...

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

I mean seriously... what do you call crying after losing a regular season game? I like how people like you just fail to ignore what Price himself said after the series. But you know, what would Carey Price know about his own level of form.

Old
06-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
I mean seriously... what do you call crying after losing a regular season game? I like how people like you just fail to ignore what Price himself said after the series. But you know, what would Carey Price know about his own level of form.
I call it someone who gives a **** about winning and their team.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:00 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
I call it someone who gives a **** about winning and their team.
Get real... so if you dont cry it means you dont give a rats ass? Face it, he was in over his head emotionally and his own comments support my stance. He was thrust into a pressure cooker at an unecessary point in his career, thats it thats all.

Old
06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
We have slightly different perspectives.

I would cry every time I would loose a playoff round... I am sure about it. Immediatly, after giving all I have and all I could like these guys do.
Would probably not cry (but most likely swear) if you broke my leg or my thumb but would certainly cry for a lost playoff round.
BTW, I would cry after winning (like Robinson did when he congratulated Lemieux after winning the Cup (as per RDS video)).

First one is just physical (a few running tears maybe), second one is emotional and goes to deeper values.
Feeling of lost is reala dn deeper.
Very hard physical pain can at most bring a few tears.
Very hard emotional pain brings crying.
As Jacques Brel sang: "Mais voir un ami pleurer".

Some people think crying is being weak.
I think that it means you are in line with your feelings and your values.
You cry, get rid of it. Case closed.

My point is: we cry for emotions not for pain.
Some people would think I am a sissy...

So I basically agree with you, he cried because he was emotional. He cared. One more good point for him...

It is very healthy, his soul was cleaned immediatly, case closed.

Melanson asked him to not get too emotional...
In this perspective, I don't agree...
Would love to see a guy who has won many cups give his insight on this...
But he does nneed to better control his emotions during the game.
Good learning here.

BTW, not crying in front of others does not mean anything. You are not there when the guy is alone at home. He might have kept his composure and does the cleaning at home...
You can still be frozen for a few days before the stress/pressure releases.
I would of found it more appropriate had he cried after the playoffs rather than after a regular season game worth 1.13% of your season.

Secondly, just watch that 2nd period of game 5. He was Theodoresque in the sense that you could tell he was being crushed from the pressure and that you pretty had that feeling that any shot would go in.

This isnt to say that he is directly responsible for the playoff disaster that was round 2. The blame for that is partly on his shoulders but we didnt get the bounces and the coaches just werent good enough (failure to adjust special teams and unable to close out the Bruins). The point is that Price was already very tired from the previous 18 months, he was only 20 years old, and there was a very capable goalie ahead of him on the depth chart. Gainey just got greedy.

Last edited by BigTimer*: 06-16-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old
06-16-2008, 05:33 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
we have yet to see him play to be very honest therefore I can't judge him for now but on th depth chart he isn't very high

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
This isnt to say that he is directly responsible for the playoff disaster that was round 2. The blame for that is partly on his shoulders but we didnt get the bounces and the coaches just werent good enough (failure to adjust special teams and unable to close out the Bruins). The point is that Price was already very tired from the previous 18 months, he was only 20 years old, and there was a very capable goalie ahead of him on the depth chart. Gainey just got greedy.
How exactly do you know we even make the second round with Huet.... Given the way Price played down the stretch and brought us to first place....Something Huet had multiple chances to do, but stunk it up everytime we were within reach of first.

How do you know we win round 1?? Huet has 0 playoff round wins in his career.... He had 6 games of playoff experience at the time... arguably less big game experience than Price (WJC, Calder Cup)....

Even getting to the 2nd round without Price is not guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Check the date of the post you quoted.

Old
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
How exactly do you know we even make the second round with Huet.... Given the way Price played down the stretch and brought us to first place....Something Huet had multiple chances to do, but stunk it up everytime we were within reach of first.

How do you know we win round 1?? Huet has 0 playoff round wins in his career.... He had 6 games of playoff experience at the time... arguably less big game experience than Price (WJC, Calder Cup)....

Even getting to the 2nd round without Price is not guaranteed.
Don't you see Beak? He would have put Huet in net for all of Price's loses which may have effected the outcome. I mean, we all knew Price was going to lose game 3 to the Bruins beforehand. Didn't you?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
We totally dominated game 1. Then they owned us in game 2.
After winning in that game. I tought, we stole that one.
But in my mind, I tought, we will get back to game 1 kind of play.

I never knew that Price was going to loose game 3. Nor did I read comments about this...

Also the lost in game 3 was not due to Price. He may have let one goal. Was more due to the Bruins defense totally owning our PP.
Our five players were getting in, positioning themselves and doing a pass to ... the Bruins.
Remember, the proud power play of the Habs down from 25% to 7%...

In game 5, we should have pulled him out.
But once the damage is done... What is the point?

Anyway, Price stole that round for us in the first 20 minutes of game 7.
He was being i think...