HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Yann Danis to test free agency

Old
06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I remeber his 1st NHL start he was very good. He stoned Kovalchuk once or twice in that game. Good luck to him.

Now Hamilton are in trouble they need a good goalie for next season. I think Bob will have to find a veteran to fill that spot as our pipeline of goalie is poor outside of Desjardins who was great in the ECHL this season.

Some UFA goalies : Aubin, Flaherthy,Hedberg,Valiquette,Sandford would they be willing to go in the AHL? I think Bob will have to give them an NHL salary to go down but it's needed, if one of our goalies go down we need someone with experience to fill in.
Thibault could be a guy who will need to open his eyes to the idea of the AHL, he's also someone I'd be comfy with filling in if anything bad happens up top.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I remeber his 1st NHL start he was very good. He stoned Kovalchuk once or twice in that game. Good luck to him.

Now Hamilton are in trouble they need a good goalie for next season. I think Bob will have to find a veteran to fill that spot as our pipeline of goalie is poor outside of Desjardins who was great in the ECHL this season.

Some UFA goalies : Aubin, Flaherthy,Hedberg,Valiquette,Sandford would they be willing to go in the AHL? I think Bob will have to give them an NHL salary to go down but it's needed, if one of our goalies go down we need someone with experience to fill in.
I looked closely at the UFA list and I believe that the three best options would be
1)Scott Clemmenson
2)Curtis McElhinney
3)David LeNeveu

Thibault, Lalime, Hedberg, Sanford, Holmqvist etc. might be great options but I don't think that those guys would like to come here knowing that they are going the 3rd goaltender.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Megaforce

Yan Danis, Les Kuntar, Jaroslav Halak: the real problem with backup goalies is that they were never given a chance and that's mainly because of their dull images. Nobody cared much about them because they're not interesting and therefore they could never get anybody lobbying for them.

Every famous goalie has as much persona as talent.

Gumper had his sardonic quips, Dryden was Mr. Brainpower, Plante has his mask, Vachon was a huge personality, Hasek was the quirky geek, every top goalie has something beyond puck stopping talent that kept giving them chances over others.

And it remains the same. Theo was a pretty boy Greek groovester from the South Shore.

Price has his native Indian, slow-pulsed junior phenom thing.

Being a #1 goalie is about more than stopping pucks, it's about capturing people's imaginations.

Danis and Racicot and all these other guys are probably just about as good as the number one goalies - or at least they could have been if propertly cultivated - but they lacked sex appeal. They never had a persona that would click in people's minds.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Yan Danis, Les Kuntar, Jaroslav Halak: the real problem with backup goalies is that they were never given a chance and that's mainly because of their dull images. Nobody cared much about them because they're not interesting and therefore they could never get anybody lobbying for them.

Gumper had his sardonic quips, Dryden was Mr. Brainpower, Plante has his mask, Vachon was a huge personality, Hasek was the quirky geek, every top goalie has something beyond puck stopping talent that kept giving them chances over others.

And it remains the same. Theo was a pretty boy Greek groovester from the South Shore.

Being a #1 goalie is about more than stopping pucks, it's about capturing people's imaginations.

Danis and Racicot and all these other guys are probably just about as good as the number one goalies - or at least they could have been if propertly cultivated - but they lacked sex appeal. They never had a persona that would click in people's minds.
If you're being serious:

If you're trying to be funny:

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I looked closely at the UFA list and I believe that the three best options would be
1)Scott Clemmenson
2)Curtis McElhinney
3)David LeNeveu

Thibault, Lalime, Hedberg, Sanford, Holmqvist etc. might be great options but I don't think that those guys would like to come here knowing that they are going the 3rd goaltender.
i agree. Those guys have all had a taste in the nhl and i dont see them wanting to play in the NHL. It would make more sense to sign a guy like LeNeveu who needs to still prove himself, seeing as he hasnt played in the nhl yet.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

It'll be nice to see if Desjardins has a legit shot at the NHL.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Good luck to him, he never complained and I hope he does well with another team.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

When Danis was signed as a free agent I thought he had a chance to beat out Théodore and Garon. Too bad he didn't, at least in the case of Théodore. It would have saved the Habs a pile of money and a lot of grief.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:29 PM
ed ible*

meh...................no news is good news.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post

You have a sort of different perspective on things

PS: Racicot earned that "Red Light" nick for a good reason, and persona, imagination, and sex appeal had nothing to do with it

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
You have a sort of different perspective on things

PS: Racicot earned that "Red Light" nick for a good reason, and persona, imagination, and sex appeal had nothing to do with it
Correct. Save percentage does though.

The common denominator among those the other guy mentioned, was that all those goalies were good. Backups generally, not so much.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:43 AM
snap-bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Cant blame a pro athelete for wanting to play

Funny thing...on NHL 2008 dynasty mode, Danis just asked me to trade him
Did you let him rot in the A too long? haha

snap-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:54 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
meh...

Please shut the door on your way out Yann.
and bring out the trashcan...

I liked the guy though...I still think he can make it. Too bad () Halak is that good...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:16 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-bar View Post
Did you let him rot in the A too long? haha

Haha...yup!

Old
06-15-2008, 08:03 AM
sampollock

funny all this time will could not trade him for a very low draft pick?

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
funny all this time will could not trade him for a very low draft pick?
You really think we could have traded a 26 year old backkup AHL goalie that struggled for the past 2 years.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
You really think we could have traded a 26 year old backkup AHL goalie that struggled for the past 2 years.
HAHA true.... Given the returns for Bryzgalov and Huet what would Danis have brought as trade value??.... They don't have a 16th round of the NHL draft.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote