HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The next level

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
  #1
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 50
The next level

Last year in my inline hockey league I lead the league in Goals, and I was 2nd in points. I had a pretty good year, our team lost in the championship game. I'm one of the best players in the leauge but I want to be better. I want to dominate next year. My best assest is my stick-handling. I'm the best stick-handler in the league. My skating is average. I know I need to improve my skating, I'm working on it now.

My question is how do I take my game to the next level? What are some stick-handling and shooting drills that will improve my game?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
  #2
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Stand infront of a net and shoot pucks ALL day. Until your wrists burn.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
  #3
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Stand infront of a net and shoot pucks ALL day. Until your wrists burn.

I've done that with slap-shots before and it helped out a lot, I was very sore the next day.

What about putting weight onto my stick. Lately I've been strapping a 5 pound weight onto my old wood stick, and I've been stickhandling and shooting with it, is that a good idea?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:37 PM
  #4
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I've done that with slap-shots before and it helped out a lot, I was very sore the next day.

What about putting weight onto my stick. Lately I've been strapping a 5 pound weight onto my old wood stick, and I've been stickhandling and shooting with it, is that a good idea?
It helped? well do it again except with wrist shots.
Not exactly sure what would do for you..


Watch these.




This ****er knows what hes doin haha



deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:55 PM
  #5
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Um, learn how to pass and make the rest of your team better. You need a good team around you.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:02 AM
  #6
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Um, learn how to pass and make the rest of your team better. You need a good team around you.

I do pass the puck. I'm more of the shooter on my line, and my other line-mate is more of the playmaker. We work with each other very well. Our team lost in the Championship game, I'd say we were pretty good.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:11 AM
  #7
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
It helped? well do it again except with wrist shots.
Not exactly sure what would do for you..


Watch these.




This ****er knows what hes doin haha



Those last 2 video's are amazing. Thanks. I'll try some of the drills that he does.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:05 AM
  #8
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Those last 2 video's are amazing. Thanks. I'll try some of the drills that he does.
Yeah they actually do work, once you apply them to a game situation they become natural and you will notice a huge difference. He's one crazy ****er though eh haha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:28 AM
  #9
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Last year in my inline hockey league I lead the league in Goals, and I was 2nd in points. I had a pretty good year, our team lost in the championship game. I'm one of the best players in the leauge but I want to be better. I want to dominate next year. My best assest is my stick-handling. I'm the best stick-handler in the league. My skating is average. I know I need to improve my skating, I'm working on it now.

My question is how do I take my game to the next level? What are some stick-handling and shooting drills that will improve my game?
Are you in the top level league where you play? If not, move up to the next one, if you are, try spreading out to other rinks and seeing if the competition is better. If that fails and you're REALLY good, look into getting into PIHA.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:40 AM
  #10
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
Are you in the top level league where you play? If not, move up to the next one, if you are, try spreading out to other rinks and seeing if the competition is better. If that fails and you're REALLY good, look into getting into PIHA.

I was going to try-out for the PIHA this year, but the team that was in my city moved to Virginia so I don't have a team in my area anymore.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 06:35 PM
  #11
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I was going to try-out for the PIHA this year, but the team that was in my city moved to Virginia so I don't have a team in my area anymore.
Ok, what about converting to Ice? That will pick up your game.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:16 PM
  #12
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, what about converting to Ice? That will pick up your game.

Head coach

I would love to, but I live in Savannah Georgia, and the only time we can play on Ice is about 2 weeks during the winter.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:53 PM
  #13
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I was going to try-out for the PIHA this year, but the team that was in my city moved to Virginia so I don't have a team in my area anymore.
You can also look into the MLRH, http://www.mlrh.com/

Major League Roller Hockey

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:16 AM
  #14
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I would love to, but I live in Savannah Georgia, and the only time we can play on Ice is about 2 weeks during the winter.
time to move.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.