HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Vrbata and Nagy?? Other options at UFA.

Old
06-15-2008, 11:30 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Vrbata and Nagy?? Other options at UFA.

Instead of Sundin, Hossa, Malone, or even Naslund, what about.. Vrbata and Nagy? Great potential in both of them.

Discuss.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.
JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Instead of Sundin, Hossa, Malone, or even Naslund, what about.. Vrbata and Nagy? Great potential in both of them.

Discuss.
IMO we won't sign any of the top UFA, simply because it would tie our hands next year.

Vrbata, hum, tough call, could be interesting, but it's his first good year, and with the type of game he has, I think we already have Higgins and A.Kostitsyn who can play that way.

Nagy I don't want, always hurt, never lived up to expectations...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Nagy is far too much of a Samsonov-type for my liking. Small and weak. Also injury-prone. He'd be wayyyyy down my list and would have to come very cheap for me to consider it.

Vrbata would be an ok option and he's still relatively young, but it'll depend on the cost. He might be an alright addition in the way a Smolinski or Bonk were in the past, even though he's less of a defensive guy (Chipchura/Lapierre would presumably step up in that case).

Still we should be aiming for the Hossas and Sundins and not worrying about these others till afterwards. We can do with or without the 2nd tier guys.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:10 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Right but my concern is that those Main Guys won't come here. Hossa signs with Pits by some act of God. Sundin stays or goes to another Canadian team (not us), Jagr stays. I mean our choices are narrowing down. I'm starting to think we should just scrap this year in Free Agents, and get some trading value in our pockets, and get some key picks for 2009.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Talent Analyst

Why waste money on ''alternative'' player?

Higgins-koivu-S.Kost
A.Kost-Plekanek-Kovalev
Latendresse-***-***
Lapierre-Begin-Kostopoulos

the *** is spot who is not sure on who will fill it. It might be Chipchura and D'Agostini. We don't need alternative player that will cost much and will take the place of a young player. If someone take the place of a young player, it has to be take by a star, then it will worth it.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:33 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I'd rather have Brunette instead of Nagy and Vrbata.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:00 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Honestly, if the big guys don't come, we can talk about "alternative methods" then. There generally isn't a huge rush for second-tier free agents on July 1.

I, for one, would not welcome Nagy under any circumstances. Vrbata perhaps, but he's a 3rd line player that got 1st line icetime in Phoenix and put up good, but not exceptional, numbers. Not unlike Yanic Perreault last season. I think he'd get paid more than he's worth.

Then again, I could be wrong and he might end up a bargain.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:26 PM
sampollock

this is discussed on every thread almost on this hab area

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I'd rather have Brunette instead of Nagy and Vrbata.

Agreed, even Langkow or Demitra would be better choices,as long as they agreed to short term deals, three seasons or less.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Just look down the lists:

2008 Free Agent List(By Team):
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11074

Sneak Peak At Free Agency:
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_c...s_fantasy_news

2008 All UFA Team:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11300

2008 Most Wanted RFAs:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=10453

My Choices:

Offensive Forwards: Hossa, Sundin, Selanne.
3rd Line Forwards: Pandolfo, Owen Nolan, Chris Gratton.
Others: David Vyborny(Due a bounce back year), Naslund(maybe a new system will help)
Under Contract: Jokinen.

As for vrbata I'm not sold, and nagy doesn't provide anything we don't already have.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I wouldn't take Vrbata or Nagy on the Habs. They're just about exactly what we don't need. They're the anti-FAs for us. They're Samsonov disasters waiting to happen all over again.

I'm not offering any real alternatives, however. If we don't get a big name forward and a solid D, I'm satisfied if we just do nothing. Extending our own guys ahead of next summer would be awfully nice to see.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:26 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Why waste money on ''alternative'' player?

Higgins-koivu-S.Kost
A.Kost-Plekanek-Kovalev
Latendresse-***-***
Lapierre-Begin-Kostopoulos

the *** is spot who is not sure on who will fill it. It might be Chipchura and D'Agostini. We don't need alternative player that will cost much and will take the place of a young player. If someone take the place of a young player, it has to be take by a star, then it will worth it.
Really that's what you want? You know that won't help us win, since it looks a lot like last year. I'm not saying that the young players won't get better, but we don't win much in the playoffs with a similar lineup

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
this is discussed on every thread almost on this hab area
And so were all of the subjects in the "Worried??? Why you Say??" thread you started yet everyone was polite and no one said a word about it in that thread...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Maxpac

what is evreyone brigning up 2nd rate talent lately when our farm is full and we are filled up with 2nd line players, Vrbata is crap and so is Nagy and both are terrible ideas. Even if we finished 1st last year we are far from our potential and we are still in rebuilding mode, some of you guys really aren't patient enough

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Pascal

yuk @ those 2. I'd rather go with rookies than floating and inconsistent "scorers".

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 05:54 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Right but my concern is that those Main Guys won't come here. Hossa signs with Pits by some act of God.
How on earth can Marian Hossa sign with Pittsburgh?

It's not possible, yet people here talk about it as if not only is it an option, but that somehow it's very likely.

Hossa's already played his last game as a Pittsburgh Penguin.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:15 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
How on earth can Marian Hossa sign with Pittsburgh?

It's not possible, yet people here talk about it as if not only is it an option, but that somehow it's very likely.

Hossa's already played his last game as a Pittsburgh Penguin.
I trust you... because seemingly you got a couple of good sources... and you are well plugged....... aren't you?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Nagy is a waste and Vrbata is one dimensional, if that. He won't backcheck, he won't go in the corners, he won't hit.... also, phoenix needs his scoring, so they'll likely keep him.

Brunette wouldn't be a bad choice.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Dark4ng3l

I think Owen Nolan is exactly what we need. A guy who is big and physical, can score a few goals and a good leader. He would also only get a 1 year deal at a pretty cheap rate so we can always sign another UFA as well and he is not on the books in the future unless we want to keep him. I think he is a better option than taking a risk on one of the guys who will get bigger/longer contracts based on potential alone and not what they have actually proven that they can do.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:35 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
I trust you... because seemingly you got a couple of good sources... and you are well plugged....... aren't you?
This has nothing to do with sources or pluggedness ....

Quite simply, how could the Penguins sign Hossa to a contract without leaving themselves wide open to have the likes of Jordan Staal and Evegni Malkin plucked off their roster as RFA's?

And, forgetting that, why would they set their payroll up to have it stacked with scoring forwards anyway? Haven't we seen how that plays out in Tampa Bay already?

They're already talking about moving one of the Sergei Gonchar or Ryan Whitney just to extend Malkin.

There's only so many dollars to go around, and Hossa is clearly the expendable one. I don't think Shero thought for a second he would retain Hossa beyond the playoffs when he traded for him. He could table an offer, but it's not going to be close to what will be required.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Well the reported offer is somewhere in the range of 6.5M per season for the next 5 seasons.

At that rate, it's not impossible to retain Hossa.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mad Habber

Vrbata and Nagy. That's the toughness we need on the top 2 lines.

Sorry but where would they play. We need a little more grit on the top 2 lines. These guys are the exact opposite of gritty.

Can anyone tell that I'm getting tired of reading every UFA as a suggestion. Geez Abischer is still available, I don't go out and suggest his name as a backup.

Mad Habber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
This has nothing to do with sources or pluggedness ....

Quite simply, how could the Penguins sign Hossa to a contract without leaving themselves wide open to have the likes of Jordan Staal and Evegni Malkin plucked off their roster as RFA's?

And, forgetting that, why would they set their payroll up to have it stacked with scoring forwards anyway? Haven't we seen how that plays out in Tampa Bay already?

They're already talking about moving one of the Sergei Gonchar or Ryan Whitney just to extend Malkin.

There's only so many dollars to go around, and Hossa is clearly the expendable one. I don't think Shero thought for a second he would retain Hossa beyond the playoffs when he traded for him. He could table an offer, but it's not going to be close to what will be required.

Well Hossa is an elite winger & if he is willing to take a home town discount to stay with the Pens I can see Pittsburgh moving the likes of Staal if there isn't enough cap room. No sense having three good centermen & wingers to play with them. Hossa may very well sign for less than his market value to stay with this up& coming elite team. Malkin is already talking extension at or below Crosby's price. The last factor is what Fleury is going to want.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:02 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Nolan, Holik and Brunette if cheap cheap as all play hard. Langhow is tiny.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Well Hossa is an elite winger & if he is willing to take a home town discount to stay with the Pens I can see Pittsburgh moving the likes of Staal if there isn't enough cap room. No sense having three good centermen & wingers to play with them. Hossa may very well sign for less than his market value to stay with this up& coming elite team. Malkin is already talking extension at or below Crosby's price. The last factor is what Fleury is going to want.
Didn't Malkin say, "I won't be giving a hometown discount to the Pens"

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote