HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcus Naslund

Old
06-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Are we taking about Naslund here?????

Are you comparing "Czerkawski and Berezin" to Naslund?

Because you are naming players I have never heard about. I vagely remember a failure named Czerkawski that was with us a year.
Was he a 100 points player... I don't think so. Also, he did not play very much (coach decision at that time).

Please elaborate how "Czerkawski and Berezin" are comparable to Naslund?
Did any of these guys did 50 points in their career because Naslund has 100 points seasons in the NHL.

About "soft", we have seen what the Habs can do with "SOFT" players.
Carbo and BG has already stated: "No GOON" we want to play hockey.

BTW, please name me a goon in Detroit Red Wings? In Ducks (Pronger is a dirty playerr but certainly no goon)?

Even Shero will let Laraque go! Mark my words!

Edit: one last comment... 3-4 for Naslund would be better than Smokes, Dandeneault and many others.
Would not echange Kosts ot Higgins for Naslund but he could play on our first two lines in case of injuries...
Detroit doesn't have goons but the team isn't soft. Datsyuk was hitting quite often. Most of their players are willing to go hard to the net, play along the boards and go to danger zones. Naslund doesn't do this anymore.

Naslund on the 3rd line at 3-4 million probably puts up 40 points.

Czerkawski and Berezin comment is in regards to players Montreal need to stay away from. They are finally building a team from within with grit and heart and talent. We have seen enough of these "reclamation" projects in Montreal.

Finally, Montreal's problem isn't offense. The issue is the last top 4 on defense spot or a Franchise player. Naslund is none of these, and at his likely cost is just another redundant player on this team.

edit: frankly i will take the opinion of myself and the opinions of the west coast who have seen him countless times the last few years. This is a guy who has already talked about retirement for the last few years as well. Even if he does succeed somewhere else, he isn't the type of player needed in Montreal.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Sounds a whole lot like Sergei Samsonov all over again.
To some extent, yes. I think Naslund has a better history as a leadership player with some extra dimensions to his game, though. And I think the Habs are likely to have more payroll slack this year than most years. So a 1-year deal at Samsonov-money would be something I'd probably be ready to gamble on, assuming that we had once again failed to sign some of our higher priority targets and were down to the contingencies.

But I still think somebody gives him better than a 1-year $3.5M offer.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:13 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Are we taking about Naslund here?????

Are you comparing "Czerkawski and Berezin" to Naslund?

Because you are naming players I have never heard about. I vagely remember a failure named Czerkawski that was with us a year.
Was he a 100 points player... I don't think so. Also, he did not play very much (coach decision at that time).
Wow. I don't even know where to begin with this post.

First of all, this above statement speaks a lot to your credibility on any hockey matters. Mariusz Czerkawski and Sergei Berezin are players you've never heard about? Well, this is troubling, first and foremost because you claim to be a decades long Montreal Canadiens fan and yet you've never heard of two of their recent players.

Czerkawski scored twenty goals six times in the NHL. He scored 30 goals twice. Hell, he had a 35 goal 70 point season with the New York Islanders. This doesn't ring a bell?

Berezin - playing in the Canadiens division no less - scored 20 goals four times. He notched 37 goals in 1998-99. And yet, you've never heard about him?

Really?

Quote:
Please elaborate how "Czerkawski and Berezin" are comparable to Naslund?
Did any of these guys did 50 points in their career because Naslund has 100 points seasons in the NHL.
At the risk of stating the obvious, they are comparable because both Czerkawski and Berezin were brought to the Canadiens because of their scoring touch with the expectation that they would score some goals for the franchise. Both failed. With Naslund's diminishing returns, it seems the comparison is obvious. As for did those guys get 50 points in their careers .... uh, yeah, they did.

Quote:
About "soft", we have seen what the Habs can do with "SOFT" players.
Carbo and BG has already stated: "No GOON" we want to play hockey.

BTW, please name me a goon in Detroit Red Wings? In Ducks (Pronger is a dirty playerr but certainly no goon)?

Even Shero will let Laraque go! Mark my words!
Name one over-paid, washed up former scorer like Markus Naslund on the Red Wings. Two can play your game. As for the goon on the Ducks, his name is George Parros. They also have Bertuzzi and Pronger, both known for their reckless dirty styles. And as for Shero letting Laraque go.... No chance.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Czer and Bere were not in the same league as naslund. He is a major talent. A one year deal in the 3.5 range with Holik in 2 million range and Rosival in the 2.5 mill range if Sellane and Mats arent avail would be ok. Begin, Holik and Lapierre would wreck havoc lol

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post

I laugh at those who say Selanne was smoothered by Sutter's style of coaching, yet ignore the fact Vigneault's style is more defensive than Sutter's which would have effected Naslund's numbers IMO.

some players thrive in a defensive system and some dont and no one ever ignored vignault's defensive system. not to mention naslunds numbers since vigneault took over in 06/07 are

82gp 24g 36a 60pts
82gp 25g 30a 55pts

selanne at least lead the sharks in scoring in the with those types of number

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
Watching Naslund probably 80 times over the last few seasons show me he is all but done at least in the NHL. He looks like a guy whose lost his willingness to compete.
I completely agree. Having watched the canucks for the last few years quite a bit. Markus Naslund is no longer a good 2nd line player.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:03 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
He and Czerkawski are not significant players in Habs history.
Actually, sadly, Berezin *is* a significant player in Habs history.

He scored their 10,000th goal in franchise history. It was one of the handful of goals he scored as a Canadien.

As for the remark about having more knowledge then everyone else, I didn't twist your words, I merely misunderstood them.

After it was corrected, by you and by someone else that made it clear to me what you were saying, I didn't feel the need to then apologize to you for being confused.

Apparently, you do feel the need, so I apologize for misconstruing your words.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I'd stay away unless the price is absolutely right. Meaning, if Naslund came with a much lower price tag than Selanne, I might be tempted. Not gonna happen though, so he gets a solid PASS from me. I don't think he's done, mind you. He just hasn't done himself any favours with his approach to the game in recent years.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Czer and Bere were not in the same league as naslund. He is a major talent. A one year deal in the 3.5 range with Holik in 2 million range and Rosival in the 2.5 mill range if Sellane and Mats arent avail would be ok. Begin, Holik and Lapierre would wreck havoc lol
Rosival @ 2.5.... Way too low.... He's gonna get 4 million.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 12:37 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
Watching Naslund probably 80 times over the last few seasons show me he is all but done at least in the NHL. He looks like a guy whose lost his willingness to compete.
Ditto....the guy rekes of self-pity...no fire, no desire....a cold fish.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of talk about Marcus Naslund's days in Vancouver being done.

IMO, I would rather Gainey look at Naslund as opposed to Hossa or Selanne. In the case of Hossa, Naslund would cost less & could be signed for a shorter term.

In the case of Selanne, I feel Naslund would probably have more left in the tank than Teemu.
According to the stats, Teemu has a lot more left in the tank(12-11-23 in 26 games vs 25-30-55 in 82 games)...even thought Teemu hits 38 and Markus will be 35.

I'd take either guy, but I'd pay 5-5.-6 on a 1 year deal for Teemu. On Naslund I'd go
2 years but only up to 3.5-4 mil a year. He may be rejuvenated in a more offensive system.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
According to the stats, Teemu has a lot more left in the tank(12-11-23 in 26 games vs 25-30-55 in 82 games)...even thought Teemu hits 38 and Markus will be 35.

I'd take either guy, but I'd pay 5-5.-6 on a 1 year deal for Teemu. On Naslund I'd go
2 years but only up to 3.5-4 mil a year. He may be rejuvenated in a more offensive system.
Naslund could be a steal for someone.... I don't think he was ever comfortable playing in Vigneault's system.... I think in a puck possession game like ours he would rejuvenate his career.

He was also never the same after the Bertuzzi incident.... If he can find another linemate he clicks with the way he did with Bert, he'll be amazing again. Problem is there are very few guys who are as good as Bert was in his prime.

Id love to see what a line of
Sergei Kost - Mats Sundin - Markus Naslund could do together.... or
Lats - Sundin - Naslund.

Old
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Lats - Sundin - Naslund.
Lats = Bertuzzi!

That's a nice line!

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Lats = Bertuzzi!

That's a nice line!
Well that wasn't the thinking....

I was more thinking that
Sundin >>>> Morrison
Lats (today) <<< Bertuzzi (prime)

So maybe Sundin could pick up that slack off what Bertuzzi used to bring to that line...

Old
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of talk about Marcus Naslund's days in Vancouver being done.

IMO, I would rather Gainey look at Naslund as opposed to Hossa or Selanne. In the case of Hossa, Naslund would cost less & could be signed for a shorter term.

In the case of Selanne, I feel Naslund would probably have more left in the tank than Teemu.

I don't want Naslund....he is washed up and doesn't play with any heart anymore. Leave him along and go after a player who will make a difference....Selanne, Hossa, Malone.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote