HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Avery, How about Tucker ?

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
No Tucker, please...ugh. If we can't resign Avery then I rather his slot be filled with one of our young guys.
Yea, i agree.

Old
06-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
This is why I hate the offseason.
We now join your long summer in progress.

Old
06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
Even having an off year and mostly playing injured he outscores Avery.

A healthy Tucker would be a better fit for the Rangers, Avery is all talk no action.
I don't know about that, I'm not a Ranger fan but it's pretty hard to deny the impact Avery has/had on the Rangers. Their record with him in the line up and without him speaks for itself.

Old
06-14-2008, 05:36 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
As much as I'm not a fan of Avery or the Rangers, look at the stats. The Rangers have a better record with him in the line-up.

He's extremely versatile and is the best pest in the game.As long as he stays on this side of clever and doesn't wander off into stupid, he is a great asset to the team.

I don't think he's worth more than 3.5 though. He's still gotta stay healthy.

The Rangers can win without him, but they haven't done much of it. If they lose him it won't be the end of times, but they should make a good case to keep him.

Avery should also realize that the Rangers kind of gave him a new career. He was not doing well in LA at all, kicked off the team the previous year, by most accounts not the most popular player in the locker room. He came to NY and they've given him a lot of room. Fromthe get-go he was given pretty good ice time and a chance to prove what he can do. If he got moved to another team last Feb he might be in absolutely no position to ask for $2m let alone $4m.
I think when people say "he can't back it up" yaddah yaddah, they are expecting him to produce like a first line forward or something, otherwise he's "all talk no action".

Lets get real here. Avery is still a third line agitator on most teams. He does a heck of a job, and it's not his fault this teams other forwards can't score when it counts or the defense is inconsistent. He's done more than what's being asked, and is using his skill effectively.

Avery is also not a dirty player, just really annoying. Tucker can be dirty, and I personally never really liked him. There's also no saying how he would fit in here. We know Avery does, but Tucker would be a huge question mark.

Old
06-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think when people say "he can't back it up" yaddah yaddah, they are expecting him to produce like a first line forward or something, otherwise he's "all talk no action".

Lets get real here. Avery is still a third line agitator on most teams. He does a heck of a job, and it's not his fault this teams other forwards can't score when it counts or the defense is inconsistent. He's done more than what's being asked, and is using his skill effectively.

Avery is also not a dirty player, just really annoying. Tucker can be dirty, and I personally never really liked him. There's also no saying how he would fit in here. We know Avery does, but Tucker would be a huge question mark.
Not to mention Avery is fast, tucker is slow...

Old
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
As much as I'm not a fan of Avery or the Rangers, look at the stats. The Rangers have a better record with him in the line-up.

He's extremely versatile and is the best pest in the game.As long as he stays on this side of clever and doesn't wander off into stupid, he is a great asset to the team.

I don't think he's worth more than 3.5 though. He's still gotta stay healthy.

The Rangers can win without him, but they haven't done much of it. If they lose him it won't be the end of times, but they should make a good case to keep him.

Avery should also realize that the Rangers kind of gave him a new career. He was not doing well in LA at all, kicked off the team the previous year, by most accounts not the most popular player in the locker room. He came to NY and they've given him a lot of room. Fromthe get-go he was given pretty good ice time and a chance to prove what he can do. If he got moved to another team last Feb he might be in absolutely no position to ask for $2m let alone $4m.

good post, I agree with everything.

If Sather doesn't resign him, I can't wait to hear his explanation of the move. I can't see how he thinks we're a better team without him. Unless its along the lines of "we needed to free up cap space for a trade for Kovalchuk" (I know, I know, it aint happening, just makes my point, that theres no good reason why he shouldn't be resigned) or something like that, I'll be getting out my Fire Sather signs I put away during the lockout. I and plenty others will again be calling for his head.

Old
06-14-2008, 08:05 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
No Tucker, please...ugh. If we can't resign Avery then I rather his slot be filled with one of our young guys.
Like who? Avery is top 6 forward even with his tongue cut and thrown away. Last time I check we are not having any of top 6 kind of players in the pipeline for next season. If not Sean, Slats will need a sound replacement (Wheeler?).

Old
06-14-2008, 08:10 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Yes well it IS the offseason and this IS a hockey board discussing the rangers.

I hope the NYR regisn Avery but as I mentioned on another thread, Sean is a 3rd line guy for a winning team and a 2nd line guy for a losing team. Just my opinion but if he and his agent price themselves into a top 6 bracket I don't think it benefits the NYR to resign him.

assuming this is the case I thought a thread about Tucker was at least worth discussing. Quite likely a step up from Ruutu too. Obviously cost is a major factor here, but again assuming he came "cheap" to play for an original six I think he warrants consideration on the 3rd line.

Clearly you don't have avery and tucker. But without avery ?

On an aside I think Dubinski can play that kind of role, but you then have to find his replacement.

The NYR are a better team with a pest than without. If they guy has skills on top of guts even better.

Robbie Ftorek's style comes to mind or Donny Maloney or tomas sandstrom... yeah tomas was a bit over the top with the stickwork but he had game.

How about a guy like Holik instead ?

yes these guys are older and yes hartford is probably a better place to find parts for the team next year but it is the OFFSEASON and that is what threads like this are for.

now back to your regularly scheduled flame fest

Old
06-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Yes well it IS the offseason and this IS a hockey board discussing the rangers.

I hope the NYR regisn Avery but as I mentioned on another thread, Sean is a 3rd line guy for a winning team and a 2nd line guy for a losing team. Just my opinion but if he and his agent price themselves into a top 6 bracket I don't think it benefits the NYR to resign him.

assuming this is the case I thought a thread about Tucker was at least worth discussing. Quite likely a step up from Ruutu too. Obviously cost is a major factor here, but again assuming he came "cheap" to play for an original six I think he warrants consideration on the 3rd line.

Clearly you don't have avery and tucker. But without avery ?

On an aside I think Dubinski can play that kind of role, but you then have to find his replacement.

The NYR are a better team with a pest than without. If they guy has skills on top of guts even better.

Robbie Ftorek's style comes to mind or Donny Maloney or tomas sandstrom... yeah tomas was a bit over the top with the stickwork but he had game.

yes these guys are older and yes hartford is probably a better place to find parts for the team next year but it is the OFFSEASON and that is what threads like this are for.

now back to your regularly scheduled flame fest
Edit--- After thinking about it, maybe not such a bad idea for the right price.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 06-14-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old
06-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Like who? Avery is top 6 forward even with his tongue cut and thrown away. Last time I check we are not having any of top 6 kind of players in the pipeline for next season. If not Sean, Slats will need a sound replacement (Wheeler?).
if nobody in Hartford is a sound replacement, I don't see Wheeler being the cure-all either.

Avery could play on any line. It's going to be hard to replace him in that sense, so you might be looking at taking a few guys from Hartford.

Old
06-14-2008, 08:27 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I'd sign the guy for bottom 6 depth.
Avery is top 6, though. He doesn't skate backwards fast enough.

Old
06-14-2008, 08:33 PM
GarretJoseph*

would love to see both Avery and Tucker on the wings with Drury in the middle.

Old
06-14-2008, 08:47 PM
94now

Quote:
if nobody in Hartford is a sound replacement, I don't see Wheeler being the cure-all either.

Avery could play on any line. It's going to be hard to replace him in that sense, so you might be looking at taking a few guys from Hartford.
We need 3 top 6 wingers, assuming Jarg is 4th. I do not consider Dawes adequate for the role due to his size. Avery size is also a disadvantage, but it is less of it. His skills and hockey sense makes him good 2LW.
Wheeler is better then anyone we've got in HFD at the moment. He is a 1st rounder ready for NHL, he has size we desperately need, but he may not have a desire to play here.
My point is that Sather must fill the holes at top 6 wings. He could only have any leverage with Avery is he would have had an access of such material at hand. He does not as of today. Tucker is not an upgrade, nor would be anyone from HFD.

Old
06-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Heat McManus

From what I've heard, Wheeler is still at least a year away from playing in the NHL.

But I agree, there are holes to fill. I think Dawes might be able to be a solid 2nd liner. His size doesn't help him, but it's not a complete albatross.

If Avery goes, then instead of trying to find a carbon-copy you just go out and get a solid scoring winger.

And then there's always the thought of giving Prucha another shot.

Other FAs - Huselius, Rolston, Ryder,

Guys I would think about giving offer sheets to if Jagr and Avery walk: Bernier, Perry,

Either way, there are options, but I don't think Darcy Tucker should be looked upon as one of the better ones.

Last edited by Heat McManus: 06-14-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old
06-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Tucker Sucks

Avery Is Better

/thread

Old
06-14-2008, 09:53 PM
NYR Viper

i think trading prucha for torres would be the better option.....he is bigger, and although he isnt a top 2 line talent, he plays hard and goes hard to the net and has decent size....i would rather trade for him and slot him in on the third line to add size, grit and someone who will fight

Old
06-14-2008, 09:59 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think trading prucha for torres would be the better option.....he is bigger, and although he isnt a top 2 line talent, he plays hard and goes hard to the net and has decent size....i would rather trade for him and slot him in on the third line to add size, grit and someone who will fight
Torres Drury Callahan not a bad 3rd line. all skate well, have speed, forcheck and gritty. Dawes with gomez and say vrbata would not be bad either.

Old
06-14-2008, 10:00 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
your an idiot, anyways Tucker is not anything special he his a weakness to his team
Did you (or are you even able to) read his post? Avery has only outscored Tucker once.

Old
06-14-2008, 10:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Torres Drury Callahan not a bad 3rd line. all skate well, have speed, forcheck and gritty. Dawes with gomez and say vrbata would not be bad either.
dawes-gomez-drury
korpikoski-callahan-torres

Old
06-14-2008, 10:05 PM
94now

Torres? Let's go Mets!?
Never mind... I like the guy, but so does Mac. Prucha is not tradeable, period. Will never happen.

Old
06-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Did you (or are you even able to) read his post? Avery has only outscored Tucker once.
Tucker plays with Mats Sundin, Avery played with Scott Thorton, yeah no go back to your toronto thread and cry

Old
06-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Tucker plays with Mats Sundin, Avery played with Scott Thorton, yeah no go back to your toronto thread and cry
Avery can play with jagr all season and never get 60 points. Tucker did. On a line with basically Green, and Corson.

Old
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Rand

Quote:
Tucker spent a little less then 75 minutes on the ice With Sundin at ES last season, relative to Avery spending spending about 310 min at ES with Jagr.
That gap is partially made up for by PP TOI, as Tucker played a larger role on the Leafs PP, but neither spent any time at all on the top unit with the respective teams top offensive weapons.

I'm not certain whether Tucker has entered into a decline phase of his career, or whether his sub-par first half performance was due to the injury he was playing with. I'm reasonably confident his stronger performance when healthy is a decent indicator that he's due to rebound next season but I can't see anything like a return to the near 30 goal output he was pulling before.

Regardless, I think it's extremely difficult to realistically argue that Tucker had superiour linemates to Avery last season.
Blake and Stajan are not comparable in skill level to Jagr/Gomez, and those are the players each had the most TOI with last season.

06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
Tucker spent a little less then 75 minutes on the ice With Sundin at ES last season, relative to Avery spending spending about 310 min at ES with Jagr.
That gap is partially made up for by PP TOI, as Tucker played a larger role on the Leafs PP, but neither spent any time at all on the top unit with the respective teams top offensive weapons.

I'm not certain whether Tucker has entered into a decline phase of his career, or whether his sub-par first half performance was due to the injury he was playing with. I'm reasonably confident his stronger performance when healthy is a decent indicator that he's due to rebound next season but I can't see anything like a return to the near 30 goal output he was pulling before.

Regardless, I think it's extremely difficult to realistically argue that Tucker had superiour linemates to Avery last season.
Blake and Stajan are not comparable in skill level to Jagr/Gomez, and those are the players each had the most TOI with last season.
It's really hard to quantify what Avery does to make the Rangers have a better record when he's in the lineup. It's obviously not just his point production.

This thread was about Tucker replacing Avery. Tucker's older and there is no guarantee that his effect on the Rangers play would match Avery's, even if Tucker produced more points.

Old
06-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post

Id say they are more equal then anything.

33 points in 57 for avery.

34 in 74 for Tucker

And Avery played 15-20 some odd games with a bad wrist, then two bad wrists.

Tucker had 1 60 point season. I dont think thats out of reach for Avery with how well he played when he was healthy last season.

Closed Thread