HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A few days before the draft, what can we expect?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2008, 09:17 PM
  #1
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,090
vCash: 500
A few days before the draft, what can we expect?

Do you expect to see some action this week before the draft?

Honestly, I'm quite lost this summer. I have seriously no idea of what will happen. Will Gainey make a big splash this week or at the draft, or will he wait for the UFA market to land a big fish like Hossa or Selanne?

I think that AKost will be re-sign this week or most likely next week. The others notable RFA should also be re-sign in the days to come.

But what about Mark Streit? I don't want him back considering the money he will be looking at and his role with the team. But again, what is Gainey plan with him, I don't have a clue about it...

In the league, the situation is also intriguing. Will Jokinen and/or Marleau be traded? If so, where and for what? Which teams will make the first big move that will set the way the summer will look?

Where will Wheeler sign? The only thing I know is that he will likely sign before July 1st. I mean, for now, he has all the eyes set on him. He can't afford to wait and see teams interested look elsewhere on the UFA market. I think that he already knows where he wants to play. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign before the draft.

What do you think? What do you want to happen?

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:27 PM
  #2
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Do you expect to see some action this week before the draft?

Honestly, I'm quite lost this summer. I have seriously no idea of what will happen. Will Gainey make a big splash this week or at the draft, or will he wait for the UFA market to land a big fish like Hossa or Selanne?
My money is on us drafting as usual at the draft.... Maybe some minor moves to pick up some additional picks as we only have 5 picks this year... 5th and 6th rounders are gone as part of previous trades....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
I think that AKost will be re-sign this week or most likely next week. The others notable RFA should also be re-sign in the days to come.
I hope you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
But what about Mark Streit? I don't want him back considering the money he will be looking at and his role with the team. But again, what is Gainey plan with him, I don't have a clue about it...
I think the plan is flexible based on how much he asks for.... I think we do need to replace his point shot though on the PP.... I don't think we can just plug anyone on the current roster into that spot and retain the #1 PP in the league. Sergei Kost doesn't have the slapshot that other teams will fear in that spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
In the league, the situation is also intriguing. Will Jokinen and/or Marleau be traded? If so, where and for what? Which teams will make the first big move that will set the way the summer will look?
They could be our plan D/E options if Sundin, Hossa, etc... fall through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Where will Wheeler sign? The only thing I know is that he will likely sign before July 1st. I mean, for now, he has all the eyes set on him. He can't afford to wait and see teams interested look elsewhere on the UFA market. I think that he already knows where he wants to play. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign before the draft.

What do you think? What do you want to happen?
I hope he signs with us, but I get the feeling he will go to a major US market.... I don't know exactly why, but my gut feeling is he will be a Ranger.... No logical thought behind it, just a gut feeling.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 06:37 AM
  #3
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Do you expect to see some action this week before the draft?

Honestly, I'm quite lost this summer. I have seriously no idea of what will happen. Will Gainey make a big splash this week or at the draft, or will he wait for the UFA market to land a big fish like Hossa or Selanne?
I think we will make some decent moves. Or Gainey will try very hard at least. I did our salaries up from NHL Numbers...we have roughly 14 millon in cap space. If Striet doesn't resign and we buy out Dands. Hard to believe we go into the season 14 million under the cap limit...I see a Sundin...maybe a Wheeler or Selanne.


Total Cap Hit 42.663

11 Koivu, Saku C 33 4.750
27 Kovalev, Alexei R 35 4.500
46 Kostitsyn, Andrei L 23 2.000
21 Higgins, Chris C 25 1.700
14 Plekanec, Tomas C 25 1.600
22 Begin, Steve L 30 1.057
28 Chipchura, Kyle C 22 0.943
6 Kostopoulos, Tom R 29 0.900
84 Latendresse, Guillaume R 21 0.850
74 Kostitsyn, Sergei L 21 0.817
54 Grabovski, Mikhail C 24 0.800
40 Lapierre, Maxim C 23 0.688
36 D‘Agostini, Matt R 21 0.500
70 Stewart, Greg L 22 0.492


79 Markov, Andrei D 29 5.750
44 Hamrlik, Roman D 34 5.500
51 Bouillon, Francis D 32 1.875
8 Komisarek, Mike D 26 1.700
26 Gorges, Josh D 23 1.000
3 O‘Byrne, Ryan D 23 0.800

31 Price, Carey G 20 2.200
41 Halak, Jaroslav G 23 0.800

Dandenault, Mathieu D 32 0.675
Cullimore, Jassen D 35 0.640
Salmelainen, Tony R 26 0.125

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
  #4
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I think we will make some decent moves. Or Gainey will try very hard at least. I did our salaries up from NHL Numbers...we have roughly 14 millon in cap space. If Striet doesn't resign and we buy out Dands. Hard to believe we go into the season 14 million under the cap limit...I see a Sundin...maybe a Wheeler or Selanne.


Total Cap Hit 42.663

11 Koivu, Saku C 33 4.750
27 Kovalev, Alexei R 35 4.500
46 Kostitsyn, Andrei L 23 2.000
21 Higgins, Chris C 25 1.700
14 Plekanec, Tomas C 25 1.600
22 Begin, Steve L 30 1.057
28 Chipchura, Kyle C 22 0.943
6 Kostopoulos, Tom R 29 0.900
84 Latendresse, Guillaume R 21 0.850
74 Kostitsyn, Sergei L 21 0.817
54 Grabovski, Mikhail C 24 0.800
40 Lapierre, Maxim C 23 0.688
36 D‘Agostini, Matt R 21 0.500
70 Stewart, Greg L 22 0.492


79 Markov, Andrei D 29 5.750
44 Hamrlik, Roman D 34 5.500
51 Bouillon, Francis D 32 1.875
8 Komisarek, Mike D 26 1.700
26 Gorges, Josh D 23 1.000
3 O‘Byrne, Ryan D 23 0.800

31 Price, Carey G 20 2.200
41 Halak, Jaroslav G 23 0.800

Dandenault, Mathieu D 32 0.675
Cullimore, Jassen D 35 0.640
Salmelainen, Tony R 26 0.125
I'd love to see them spend some money to improve the team, but having 14 mil this year is a bit deceiving because guys like Kovy Koivu Lats A.Kost Higgins Komisarek etc will all get raises next year, assuming they are all back. On the short term we can get 2 impact guys, but on long term contracts(4-5-6 years) we only have room for 1. That still gives Bob a lot of options.

I'm not a fan of trading for Marleau unless it's at a bargain price, he's been a bust at his current 6 mil+ salary. I'd love Jokinen but I heard they are asking for a ton...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:56 AM
  #5
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
To get Jokinen we'd need to give up our 1st, Chipchura and one of McDonagh or MaxPac or Higgins. Florida will have a ton of offers for him.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
  #6
Kaptain Bégin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Québec, Quebec
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
To get Jokinen we'd need to give up our 1st, Chipchura and one of McDonagh or MaxPac or Higgins. Florida will have a ton of offers for him.
I don't think your offer is enough. JM will want more ready prospect or NHL players. I say, atleast, Higgins, O'Byrne, Lapierre/Chipchura and a couple of picks.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
  #7
bhuya71
Registered User
 
bhuya71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 2,473
vCash: 500
jacques is not willing to get screwed like luongo trade he will ask for the moon lol....like 2 nhl ready (higgy, OB/chips), 1 or 2 prospects either maxp or mcdonagh and probably our 25th....aka any team will be overpaying hard lol

bhuya71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:58 AM
  #8
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Florida is asking for 2 young roster players and a #1 pick for Jokinen. I guess that officially takes us out of the running.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreg...headlines_main

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:16 AM
  #9
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Looking at Jokinen's stats... does he know how to play defense at all? He's like -15 to -20 every year almost.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:26 AM
  #10
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Looking at Jokinen's stats... does he know how to play defense at all? He's like -15 to -20 every year almost.
Dan Boyle and Brad Richards are the 2 worst minues in the NHL, I think it's more a team stat than a player stat, like Osgood's GAA. There are hunderds and hundreds of worst defensive players than Jokinen Boyle and Richards.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:36 AM
  #11
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
the unexpected

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.