HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Malone as a Hab UFA signing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2008, 03:38 PM
  #26
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,765
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
No more then $3M a year for 3-4 years. Anything over that no thanks.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:12 PM
  #27
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
He's another one of those guys whose value is peaking at exactly the right moment for him. He'll have a crazy payday. Already teams are lining up to secure negotiating privileges with him. (Well, per the rumour mill anyway). If he actually hits the open market, I bet he does threaten to get a $5M nutzoid salary. And he's not _that_ good IMHO. Some of what he brings (size with decent scoring touch) would definitely fit our needs. But I don't want to be the team shelling out the nutzoid salaries. Eventually they come back to bite you.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:36 PM
  #28
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,777
vCash: 500
I don't see why people don't expect him to do decently on a different team. 20G 20A would not be unlikely, 45 points on a team like montreal isn't 'out there' at all. The year before crosby and malkin was around he had 22 g, 21 a, 43 points, mind you, a +- of -23. That has improved every season, so isn't a big deal.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:55 PM
  #29
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 500
Thst idiot wants 5 mil? hahahahahahahahaha . he can't even get 30 goals playing with Crosby or Malkin, i woudn't even give him 3, without them he's a 15 goal guy, if anyone signs him at his price it's going to become the next disastrous contract maybe even more then the Yashin or Jovo or Holik

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
  #30
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
I'd love to have him at 3 years 10-11 million, he's a solid player with good size who pays the price, but somebody will end up giving him Jason Blake-type money...18-20 mil over 4 years. I think without Malkin he is a 20 goal scorer. I think Latendresse is better than him right now offensively...

27G in 77 games playing 19.05 a night with Malkin/Sykora(goal every 55 minutes)

vs

16 G in 73 games playing 12.15 a night with Lapierre/Dandenault(Goal every 55.4 min)

Even without better linemates, the extra 7 minutes a night would give him about the same goal scoring production...hmm Malkin and Sykora vs Lapierre and Dandenault...pretty tight.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:02 AM
  #31
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'd love to have him at 3 years 10-11 million, he's a solid player with good size who pays the price, but somebody will end up giving him Jason Blake-type money...18-20 mil over 4 years. I think without Malkin he is a 20 goal scorer. I think Latendresse is better than him right now offensively...

27G in 77 games playing 19.05 a night with Malkin/Sykora(goal every 55 minutes)

vs

16 G in 73 games playing 12.15 a night with Lapierre/Dandenault(Goal every 55.4 min)

Even without better linemates, the extra 7 minutes a night would give him about the same goal scoring production...hmm Malkin and Sykora vs Lapierre and Dandenault...pretty tight.
That's some awesome analysis CP. Great post!

Consider my mind changed!

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:02 AM
  #32
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,806
vCash: 500
Malone will get more money then he is worth and isn't really what we need this offseason. We need size at center and another top 4 D.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:09 AM
  #33
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Malone will get more money then he is worth and isn't really what we need this offseason. We need size at center and another top 4 D.
I still don't get the "size at center" thing. Why do you think it's important to have big centermen? I think for a center, skating/agility, hockey sense and vision are much more important. DEtroit won the cup with some pretty small centermen...Datsyuk Zetterberg Draper(Franzen occasionally plays center when Datsyuk and Zetterberg play together but he plays like a true power winger).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:15 AM
  #34
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I still don't get the "size at center" thing. Why do you think it's important to have big centermen? I think for a center, skating/agility, hockey sense and vision are much more important. DEtroit won the cup with some pretty small centermen...Datsyuk Zetterberg Draper(Franzen occasionally plays center when Datsyuk and Zetterberg play together but he plays like a true power winger).
Because deep down everyone wants a pre-concussion Eric Lindros.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:23 AM
  #35
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I still don't get the "size at center" thing. Why do you think it's important to have big centermen? I think for a center, skating/agility, hockey sense and vision are much more important. DEtroit won the cup with some pretty small centermen...Datsyuk Zetterberg Draper(Franzen occasionally plays center when Datsyuk and Zetterberg play together but he plays like a true power winger).
They won the cup because those players (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) are two of the best in the league. We don't have that luxury. I don't think we are going to win a cup with Plekanec and Koivu as our top two centers, but if you think differently that is fine. I want BG to go hard after Sundin. A guy like him wears down defenders and I think we have all the other pieces in place.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:32 AM
  #36
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
They won the cup because those players (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) are two of the best in the league. We don't have that luxury. I don't think we are going to win a cup with Plekanec and Koivu as our top two centers, but if you think differently that is fine. I want BG to go hard after Sundin. A guy like him wears down defenders and I think we have all the other pieces in place.
Every championship team has one or 2 areas that they are only average in...Detroit it was in goal. The Habs are average at center, but strong on the wings, strong on defense(could use a skilled #4 guy) and should be strong in nets once Price peaks.

I think Sundin would be a great fit on a few levels...1-he still has frontline skills and is hard to handle 1 on 1 2-his size blends well with out speedy forwards 3-he probably would want a 1-2 year deal which is prefect for our cap(vs Hossa 4-6 years) 4-he is a quality individual and very good leader 5-he adds depth at our least deep position(center)

That being said I would hope that Gainey and co have a plan B, C and D. I think adding another above average centerman should be a priority but there are not a ton of them out there on the UFA market and the trade options are either too expensive(Jokinen) or overpaid and soft(Marleau).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
  #37
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Every championship team has one or 2 areas that they are only average in...Detroit it was in goal. The Habs are average at center, but strong on the wings, strong on defense(could use a skilled #4 guy) and should be strong in nets once Price peaks.

I think Sundin would be a great fit on a few levels...1-he still has frontline skills and is hard to handle 1 on 1 2-his size blends well with out speedy forwards 3-he probably would want a 1-2 year deal which is prefect for our cap(vs Hossa 4-6 years) 4-he is a quality individual and very good leader 5-he adds depth at our least deep position(center)

That being said I would hope that Gainey and co have a plan B, C and D. I think adding another above average centerman should be a priority but there are not a ton of them out there on the UFA market and the trade options are either too expensive(Jokinen) or overpaid and soft(Marleau).
The point you bring up about the length a guy like Sundin will be looking for (1-2 years) over a guy like Hossa or Malone (probably 6+) is one of the most important IMO. I think this current team is very close and I don't think they are that far away.

As for backup plans, that could be tricky. I do however think Gainey has some tradeable assets to work with. Whether or not he would go for a big trade remains to be seen but acquiring a #2 center might be more realistic.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:45 AM
  #38
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
The guy is a 3rd liner at best. Someone will be dumb enough to offer him 3.5m+...I sure hope it's not us.
yup.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
  #39
Maximus Taylor
 
Maximus Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
we complained about Higgins production all year and he's barely better playing with Malkin and playing on the PP with the fearsome foursome (at least at the end of year)?

pass.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
  #40
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Every championship team has one or 2 areas that they are only average in...Detroit it was in goal. The Habs are average at center, but strong on the wings, strong on defense(could use a skilled #4 guy) and should be strong in nets once Price peaks.

I think Sundin would be a great fit on a few levels...1-he still has frontline skills and is hard to handle 1 on 1 2-his size blends well with out speedy forwards 3-he probably would want a 1-2 year deal which is prefect for our cap(vs Hossa 4-6 years) 4-he is a quality individual and very good leader 5-he adds depth at our least deep position(center)

That being said I would hope that Gainey and co have a plan B, C and D. I think adding another above average centerman should be a priority but there are not a ton of them out there on the UFA market and the trade options are either too expensive(Jokinen) or overpaid and soft(Marleau).
You're underestimating Osgood. Sure he might not be Patrick Roy, but he still played solid. Hasek is the one that was weak, and had they kept him in nets, they probably wouldn't have won the cup. Hell, maybe not even make it past first round. So, Give some credit to Osgood.

You talk about their small centermen, but forget to point out Datsyuk led the POs with the most hits. The guy is not afraid to get dirty and will nail somebody when given the chance. Plekanec will never do that. Zetterberg is no push around either and Draper is the best checking line center in the league.

Detroit is not a team that is scared to get pushed around. We are. We saw how dis-stabilized our team was after Boston/Philly layed it out on us. I don't blame our players, it was the first POs appearance for a lot of them.
But nobody in our top6, execpt S.Kost, really likes to hit. Whereas in Detroit, you have Datsyuk-Holmstrom-Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson that don't have a problem playing physical at all. A.Kost-Ak-Plek-Koivu-Higgins aren't really like that.

If our top wingers would play physical, then MAYBE, we wouldn't need a top center. That's why I really hope Gui works out his speed and becomes a regular winger to Koivu.
We need size up front, Gui would help that. So would a guy like Malone, but a guy like Sundin would be terrific as well.

Your centerman will be the one that fallows the puck, he will battle around the boards, he will help the D in his zone, he will carry the puck out. It's no secret size helps a lot. I don't feel, at least last year, that we had the appropriate wingers to help small centermen. So something has to change.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 12:11 PM
  #41
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You're underestimating Osgood. Sure he might not be Patrick Roy, but he still played solid. Hasek is the one that was weak, and had they kept him in nets, they probably wouldn't have won the cup. Hell, maybe not even make it past first round. So, Give some credit to Osgood.

You talk about their small centermen, but forget to point out Datsyuk led the POs with the most hits. The guy is not afraid to get dirty and will nail somebody when given the chance. Plekanec will never do that. Zetterberg is no push around either and Draper is the best checking line center in the league.

Detroit is not a team that is scared to get pushed around. We are. We saw how dis-stabilized our team was after Boston/Philly layed it out on us. I don't blame our players, it was the first POs appearance for a lot of them.
But nobody in our top6, execpt S.Kost, really likes to hit. Whereas in Detroit, you have Datsyuk-Holmstrom-Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson that don't have a problem playing physical at all. A.Kost-Ak-Plek-Koivu-Higgins aren't really like that.

If our top wingers would play physical, then MAYBE, we wouldn't need a top center. That's why I really hope Gui works out his speed and becomes a regular winger to Koivu.
We need size up front, Gui would help that. So would a guy like Malone, but a guy like Sundin would be terrific as well.

Your centerman will be the one that fallows the puck, he will battle around the boards, he will help the D in his zone, he will carry the puck out. It's no secret size helps a lot. I don't feel, at least last year, that we had the appropriate wingers to help small centermen. So something has to change.
A.Kostitsyn is as physical as anybody in Detroit's top 6. He knocks guys off the puck and is strong on it.

The Habs are a more physical team than Detroit. It's not the physical game that extended the Boston series and lost us the Phillie series, it was poor goaltending. To me that was by far the #1 factor, #2 was a lack of experience, when goals started to get harder to score, they should have tried to score a few more "dirty" goals, that's where we could use another top 6 or top 9 forward who can score from 10 feet(Latendresse? Malone? Sundin? etc).

Chipchura will be your #3 guy in the future that can dominate in the defensive zone, maybe plan E or F is to sign Holik or Gratton for a year until Chip is ready if we don't add a bigger piece. Lapierre has the size and skating but he plays like a winger.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 01:20 PM
  #42
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Not starting a rumour here... but he could be a good/great fit with the Canadiens...

According to TSN's Habs report he is another possibility for Montreal this summer.

You gotta think that he would have been amazing much-needed help against the Flyers this year with the way he is willing to stand in front of the net and take a hard slapshot to the nose and then unflinchingly return back on the ice.

Every team need a tough warrior like that, definitely.

6'4" and 220+ lbs, 27 goals (with Malkin and Crosby as teamates, of course)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Ryan_Malone

Any thoughts?

(I didn't see a thread on Malone, so I thought I would start one)

I would love to sign Malone....he would be a perfect replacement for Ryder on the right wing and he would be a little cheaper than Hossa, Selanne and some other names that were mentioned.

I really really hope Malone ends up in a Habs uniform this off-season.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.