HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wow- Fedotenko/Pitkanen

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2004, 09:48 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
I think the point is that up until 7 games ago, most people were laughing at the lightning over that trade....Fedotenko for the pick to draft Pitkanen. Pitkanen was going to be a star and Fedotenko was doing nothing to be noticed for in Tampa.

Well...Pitkanen may still be a star, but no one is laughing at Tampa for that deal now. If the Lightning win the Cup, the Flyers will still have Pitkanen and the Bolts will have what the Flyers have wanted for 30 years...a stanley cup.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:52 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
If Tampa wins the Cup then the deal was worth it for them.

That doesn't mean they "won" this trade.
have you ever heard of winning the battle but losing the war? the flyers are an elite, high payroll team that feverishly is chasing a stanley cup championship.

if fedotenko were scoring those goals for the flyers, because they didnt make the trade and the flyers won game 7.....you tell me. would you rather win the cup this year and not have pitkanen or would you rather have pitkanen be the next mark howe, a top defenseman and allstar, and still win no cups?

Old
05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
Esche just turned 26, so there is even more future for him... philly finally has its playoff goalie.
Not necessarily true. Esche has now been exposed. Terrible rebound control. Easy to beat high to the glove side or blocker side. Goes down prematurely.

Now that all teams have the book on beating Esche, he has a LOT of work to do.

Old
05-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
if fedotenko were scoring those goals for the flyers, because they didnt make the trade and the flyers won game 7.....you tell me. would you rather win the cup this year and not have pitkanen or would you rather have pitkanen be the next mark howe, a top defenseman and allstar, and still win no cups?
You can't guarentee that Fedotenko would even still be here, and you cannot say the Flyers win Game 7 with him. There was no room for him at the time and that is why he was traded. If he hadn't been traded to Tampa it would have just been to a different team.

I LOVED Ruslan Fedotenko.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:05 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Terrible rebound control. Easy to beat high to the glove side or blocker side. Goes down prematurely
Esche can work on the rebounds. Bulin and Belfour both gave up goals high glove side. Doesn't matter though, Robert can only get better since he is so young. We also have Niity to fall back on as well.

Joni is only his first year. I'm not going to decide who won or lost the trade based on his first year. Feds has had 1 good year, let's see if the Bolts and him are this good again.

Old
05-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Teezax

Screw Fedotenko, let's wait for consistency before we judge. but as is right now, I'm glad Pitkanen is Flyers property. We had/have so many guys that can take the Fedotenko 3rd line role in philly.

Last edited by Teezax: 05-25-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old
05-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I agree that it doesn't look as bad as it used to.

I think it's okay for both teams. If Tampa goes on to win the Cup, you can't really say they lost the trade, can you? And with Pitkanen's career just beginning, he could turn out to be something special.

This could easily turn out to be a win-win trade.

Old
05-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneydcat
as of right now tampa won the trade hands down. if philly gets to the cup before the end of pittakens career then we can re-evaluate
You're basing this solely on Fedotenko's performance in this series and the playoffs in general. That is asanine. While Fedotenko is a nice player, he scored what? 17 goals this year on the FIRST line? Give me a break. If Pitkanen turns out to be a bust (unlikely), then yes the Lightning won this trade. Pitkanen will, with all liklihood, be a MUCH better player than Fedotenko and the anchor of this defence. Hence, Philly wins the trade. Stop being a homer.

Old
05-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
If Pitkanen turns out to be a bust (unlikely), then yes the Lightning won this trade. Pitkanen will, with all liklihood, be a MUCH better player than Fedotenko and the anchor of this defence. Hence, Philly wins the trade. Stop being a homer.
Not necessarily. It doesn't really matter how Pitkanen turns out. If Tampa wins the Cup (and Fedotenko has been a huge part of their run), it'll all be worth it for them. Do you think Tampa would trade a few years of Pitkanen for the Cup? Absolutely.

Old
05-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Flyerswin5

Who did Tampa pick up with the two second round picks that we gave Tampa along with Fedotenko?

Old
05-27-2004, 09:21 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerswin5
Who did Tampa pick up with the two second round picks that we gave Tampa along with Fedotenko?
They traded one of the picks to Dallas for Brad Lukowich (34th overall, Tobais Stephan).

Old
05-28-2004, 05:54 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Not necessarily. It doesn't really matter how Pitkanen turns out. If Tampa wins the Cup (and Fedotenko has been a huge part of their run), it'll all be worth it for them. Do you think Tampa would trade a few years of Pitkanen for the Cup? Absolutely.

Of course Feds isn't anywhere near the same level as Peter Forsberg, but the trade/winning the Cup thing (maybe for Fedentenko this year) would be pretty eerie. But Rusty's 10 goals thus far ain't too shabby, either.

My hope is that Joni stays healthy and continues making strides in his development. The concussions are definately something that has to alarm any Flyer fan.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out over the next 10 years or so...

Old
05-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Pelle31

Quote:
im just saying that everyone always tries to evaluate trades after they go down and this last series gave us a fine measuring stick in which to evaluate. as of right now with fedotenko producing like he did to propel tb into the finals the outcome of the trade greatly favors tampa. i have no doubts that pitaken will be awesome for years to come but teams acquire players for one goal- the stanley cup. if tampa wins the cup then philadelphia will have to win one just to make the trade even! as of now they must win an eastern conference championship, otherwise tampa comes out ahead. i personally think it was a great trade for the flyers but the results at this point say otherwise.....
I disagree if Khabibulin didn't play the way he did in the first round against the Islanders, the Lightning would have been out on their *****. You can't compare one playoff series, you have to look at the players Fedotenko is playing with. On the Flyers, he would have been a third line winger at best. And he hasn't single handlely taken the Bolts to the finals! I'd do this trade again in a heartbeat!! Stud defenseman are hard to come by and when you have the chance to get one, you go out and get it.

Old
05-29-2004, 05:06 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerswin5
One went to Dallas for Lukowich and a 2003 7th rounder (Jay Rosehill).

The other went to San Jose for a 2002 2nd rounder (Adam Henrich) and a 2002 5th rounder (Gerard DiCaire).

Old
05-29-2004, 05:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
When you make trades, sure you're looking to get the best deal possible, but in the end, trades don't get made if both GM's don't think it will help them.

Old
05-29-2004, 05:48 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:
as of right now tampa won the trade hands down. if philly gets to the cup before the end of pittakens career then we can re-evaluate
Nothing personal but that's the stupidist thing that I have ever heard. Just because Ruslan gets a free ride with Tampa to the playoffs the Flyers lost the trade. Joni IS MUCH MUCH BETTER than Ruslan.

Teams win Lord Stanley not players.

Old
05-30-2004, 10:31 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase
Nothing personal but that's the stupidist thing that I have ever heard. Just because Ruslan gets a free ride with Tampa to the playoffs
Wow. That statement is the product of ignorance or a real case of sour grapes. Fedotenko is getting a "free ride"? You'll have to tell that to his linemates, both of whom credit his defensive and board work with making their line what it is.

It's amazing to me how some fans (of ALL teams, not just the Flyers) love players to death when they're wearing the home colors, but never fail to degrade them when they're gone.

Fedotenko was a nice player for the Flyers. With increased ice time and responsibilities in Tampa, he's showing he's something more. Why slag the guy for that?

Quote:
Teams win Lord Stanley not players.
Hmmm ... well if that's true why are you bothering to write, "Joni IS MUCH MUCH BETTER than Ruslan"?

Old
05-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
It's amazing to me how some fans (of ALL teams, not just the Flyers) love players to death when they're wearing the home colors, but never fail to degrade them when they're gone.
Deep down we're all homers to a certian extent.

I still love Rusty, he has a motor that doesn't quit.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:39 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Wow. That statement is the product of ignorance or a real case of sour grapes. Fedotenko is getting a "free ride"? You'll have to tell that to his linemates, both of whom credit his defensive and board work with making their line what it is.

Fedotenko was a nice player for the Flyers. With increased ice time and responsibilities in Tampa, he's showing he's something more. Why slag the guy for that?

Hmmm ... well if that's true why are you bothering to write, "Joni IS MUCH MUCH BETTER than Ruslan"?
I have never liked or disliked Ruslan. Ruslan is getting a free ride, he is not as good as most people take him to be.

What I said is just for this trade of Ruslan+Couple of Picks for Joni was won by the Flyers because Joni is a better player. I never said Joni is the missing part of the Flyers that will bring the Cup to Philly. Ask any GM on any NHL team if they would have Joni or Ruslan almost all will take Joni. I never said that Ruslan is a bad player only that Joni is better.

Old
05-30-2004, 08:06 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I have never liked or disliked Ruslan. Ruslan is getting a free ride
IMO his ten playoff goals would suggest he's carrrying his own weight just fine, but if you want to believe he's riding on the backs of others, whatever.

Quote:
What I said is just for this trade of Ruslan+Couple of Picks for Joni was won by the Flyers because Joni is a better player. I never said Joni is the missing part of the Flyers that will bring the Cup to Philly.
No, what you said is that teams win Cups, not players. Therefore your statement that Pitkanen is the better player is worthless by your own words. The Bolts already have two NHLers out of the deal; if any of their three prospects also makes the NHL, I think you'd find it tough to argue that their team didn't see more benefit from the deal than the Flyers did.

In any case, it's simply too soon to declare a winner and loser in this deal ... if one has any objectivity at all.

Quote:
Ask any GM on any NHL team if they would have Joni or Ruslan almost all will take Joni. I never said that Ruslan is a bad player only that Joni is better.
Yes. See above. Team not player, right?

Closed Thread